Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 12, 2007, 09:51 AM   #1
sjb
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
iPhone Screen Checkered Pattern

Have any of you noticed a checkered pattern on the screen when black is being displayed on the screen? On my iphone on the home screen, I can see a light checkered pattern on the black screen behind the icons. This is my second iPhone as the previous one had dead pixels, and my previous iPhone did not have this light checkered pattern on the screen. I have access to another iPhone as well, and it does not have the checkered pattern either.

It is very faint, and I don't know why it bothers me, but I just want the phone to be perfect. I've heard reports that they have several different manufacturers making the screens, so maybe it is just normal on my new screen.

Just curious if anyone else has this? I may be able to post a picture if needed. I'm not certain how well it'd come out. The really really odd part about it is that the screen looks awesome when you first turn it on and it has the black around the Apple logo. However, half-way through the boot-up process is when the checkered pattern appears. I'm not sure if this means it is a software issue, or if it is something else.

I can't say I haven't considered returning this phone as well, but I hate to be so picky. Anyone else notice this?

-Steve

Here are images that display exactly what we are talking about:








Last edited by sjb; Jul 15, 2007 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Updating to include pictures that display the problem.
sjb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 09:54 AM   #2
DSchwartz88
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Have any of you noticed a checkered pattern on the screen when black is being displayed on the screen? On my iphone on the home screen, I can see a light checkered pattern on the black screen behind the icons. This is my second iPhone as the previous one had dead pixels, and my previous iPhone did not have this light checkered pattern on the screen. I have access to another iPhone as well, and it does not have the checkered pattern either.

It is very faint, and I don't know why it bothers me, but I just want the phone to be perfect. I've heard reports that they have several different manufacturers making the screens, so maybe it is just normal on my new screen.

Just curious if anyone else has this? I may be able to post a picture if needed. I'm not certain how well it'd come out. The really really odd part about it is that the screen looks awesome when you first turn it on and it has the black around the Apple logo. However, half-way through the boot-up process is when the checkered pattern appears. I'm not sure if this means it is a software issue, or if it is something else.

I can't say I haven't considered returning this phone as well, but I hate to be so picky. Anyone else notice this?

-Steve
I actually just posted about this, if you could please do a complete restore on the iPhone and tell me if that helps. If it does not i suggest we both request exchanges for our iPhones.
DSchwartz88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 10:47 AM   #3
sjb
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
I restored mine last night, and it did not make any difference.

This is really going to make me mad if I have to go exchange it. The Apple store is 1.5 hours away from me, and this would be my 4th trip. Last night I was there because my girlfriends iPhone just started crashing non-stop. I should have exchanged it then I guess.

You think a software update could address this issue?

-Steve
sjb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 10:51 AM   #4
korndog2003
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Keyser, WV, USA
Send a message via ICQ to korndog2003 Send a message via AIM to korndog2003 Send a message via MSN to korndog2003 Send a message via Yahoo to korndog2003 Send a message via Skype™ to korndog2003
Its probably a screen defect...
korndog2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:02 AM   #5
SheepNutz
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kantuckee
Are you talking about lines that run both down and across the screen? If so, I have seen this on every iPhone I have looked at (about 7 of em). I thought it was just the grid pattern used to pick up touches on the screen. I can only see it when looking at it from weird angles or if the screen is very dark. I think it's normal, but I may be wrong.
SheepNutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:06 AM   #6
Fredo521
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mass, USA
Send a message via AIM to Fredo521
It just a faint grid in the background, mine has it too so I think it's normal
Fredo521 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:12 AM   #7
unity
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Green Bay, WI
I dont see anything in mine.
unity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:22 AM   #8
krimedog
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
100% Normal

Should be a faint grid you only see in intense sunlight and certain colors (or off). It is part of the multitouch techmoooology.
krimedog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:37 AM   #9
unity
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Green Bay, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimedog View Post
Should be a faint grid you only see in intense sunlight and certain colors (or off). It is part of the multitouch techmoooology.
I have better than normal vision and still see nothing. Adjusted brightness, took it outside while on and off, etc. Nothing shows up at all on mine.
unity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:03 PM   #10
DSchwartz88
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimedog View Post
Should be a faint grid you only see in intense sunlight and certain colors (or off). It is part of the multitouch techmoooology.
Its not something your supposed to see. This is my second iPhone and the first one had no such defect. It is a defect with the screen and i called apple about it. They are away of the problem and are going to address it with a recall ala powerbook battery. However, if you do not want to wait then you can go to the apple store and they will replace it for you on the spot.

Daniel
DSchwartz88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:20 PM   #11
sjb
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSchwartz88 View Post
Its not something your supposed to see. This is my second iPhone and the first one had no such defect. It is a defect with the screen and i called apple about it. They are away of the problem and are going to address it with a recall ala powerbook battery. However, if you do not want to wait then you can go to the apple store and they will replace it for you on the spot.

Daniel

Daniel,

Are you going to exchange it at the store or wait for Apple to recall it? How did you describe the issue to them when you called? I would like to call them myself so they at least have a record of the problem.

Thanks,

-Steve
sjb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:28 PM   #12
DSchwartz88
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Daniel,

Are you going to exchange it at the store or wait for Apple to recall it? How did you describe the issue to them when you called? I would like to call them myself so they at least have a record of the problem.

Thanks,

-Steve
Im going to exchange it today and make sure that before he gives me the new one im allowed to look at the screen. I told them it was as if there was a matrix of white dots below the screen. I was told this was a defect because certain panels they had gotten from a different company where not quality checked so what your actually seeing is the multitouch matrix. This should be seen at anytime and could actually lead to harming the multitouch layer of the phone.
DSchwartz88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:31 PM   #13
sjb
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSchwartz88 View Post
Im going to exchange it today and make sure that before he gives me the new one im allowed to look at the screen. I told them it was as if there was a matrix of white dots below the screen. I was told this was a defect because certain panels they had gotten from a different company where not quality checked so what your actually seeing is the multitouch matrix. This should be seen at anytime and could actually lead to harming the multitouch layer of the phone.
Please let me know how it goes. I may just call them and see if they can send me one, and I'll send the old one back. I'm really tired of driving all the way to the Apple store well over an hour away.
sjb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:37 PM   #14
elg23
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
are you sure its not normal? i was looking at mine and its there... i never thought it to be something wrong with the screen.. i never got to look at other ones... an apple person told you that it is a faulty screen or you heard it on a website or something? did you get it exchanged without a problem? thanks
elg23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:52 PM   #15
elg23
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
it looks like this...

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/iphone2.htm

...is what we are seeing

it would help if there were more posts by people saying whether they can see the grid or not... i can see it when i tilt the screen with overhead lighting.... when looking directly at the screen i can see a faint pattern of white dots
elg23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:55 PM   #16
DSchwartz88
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2006
i was told by an apple iPhone engineer when the lady from applecare had no idea what i was talking about. It basically has to do with a faulty LCD manufacturer that was used. Some iPhones have it, some dont.
DSchwartz88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:58 PM   #17
sdm1130
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by elg23 View Post
i can see it when i tilt the screen with overhead lighting.... when looking directly at the screen i can see a faint pattern of white dots
Same here. I have a hard time believing that this is not normal. When the screen is on, or there is no glare from overhead light I can not see any grid pattern.
sdm1130 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 01:06 PM   #18
elg23
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm1130 View Post
Same here. I have a hard time believing that this is not normal. When the screen is on, or there is no glare from overhead light I can not see any grid pattern.
i still see the grid and white dots when the screen is on...


i also noticed that the phone looks normal when it starts booting, but halfway thru the boot process the white dots show up.. maybe when the multitouch sensors turn on?

i never thought it was a problem, but now im starting to think its a faulty screen
elg23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 01:59 PM   #19
sjb
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by elg23 View Post
i still see the grid and white dots when the screen is on...


i also noticed that the phone looks normal when it starts booting, but halfway thru the boot process the white dots show up.. maybe when the multitouch sensors turn on?

i never thought it was a problem, but now im starting to think its a faulty screen
I can assure you after having another iPhone myself and looking at others, if you are seeing the 'white dots' during boot like you describe, then it is not normal. I see the grid lines when the display is off and under direct light, but the white dots show up when it is running. This is NOT normal, I assure you.

-Steve
sjb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 03:37 PM   #20
Spiroid
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
i've got this too... i'm not sure if it's "normal" but i can say a large percentage of them have the dots. this is my Yes seventh iPhone. well technically 4th. when i was in the apple store exchanging the for varies reasons i had to go through 3 in a row because they all had dead pixels. Of the 7 about 3 of them had the dot pattern. plus they guy i had to persuade to give me a new one because of the dead pixels had the dots on his too. I would think twice b4 exchanging. You might end up worse then you began.

I find it annoying that they're there, but it doesn't effect anything but pure black, if you look at the right angle and look really close. After six bad ones i'll stick with this.
Spiroid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 03:50 PM   #21
unity
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Green Bay, WI
Photos would be great.
unity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 03:58 PM   #22
Spiroid
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
it's really had to photograph. the dots are very hard too see. i'll give it a shot though.
Spiroid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 04:04 PM   #23
unity
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Green Bay, WI
It would be nice. But if they are that hard to see, what's the big problem?
unity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 04:08 PM   #24
sandman42
macrumors 6502a
 
sandman42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle
Having read the posts above, my suspicion is that the pattern you're seeing is a type of moire effect due to the spacing or alignment of the touch screen grid and the display pixels. If this is the case, it could be that there's some variation from one unit to the other, depending on how the sensing grid is overlaid over the diplay. Could be that very small variations in alignment, that could be very hard for the manufacturer to control, would cause this effect.
__________________
Race fast, safe car.
sandman42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 04:28 PM   #25
Spiroid
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman42 View Post
Having read the posts above, my suspicion is that the pattern you're seeing is a type of moire effect due to the spacing or alignment of the touch screen grid and the display pixels. If this is the case, it could be that there's some variation from one unit to the other, depending on how the sensing grid is overlaid over the diplay. Could be that very small variations in alignment, that could be very hard for the manufacturer to control, would cause this effect.
I generally agree, that it is a layer of the touch screen. The fact that you don't see it from all angles and that it only becomes visible halfway through the startup. I don't think it's the LCD. My guess is that the touch screen only becomes active halfway through startup and perhaps becomes less transparent. then the alignment of it with the screen will make it more or less visible. from varying angles. Mine can be seen best from a lower left angle then then fades as you get more over head. From a top, of right angle you can't see it. Here is a photo of it at the angle of greatest visibility. i shot it with a 300mm macro lens. So it's quite magnified.

Spiroid is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your Iphone charging pattern. kensic iPhone 1 Mar 1, 2014 12:06 PM
HELP! - Took Apart iPhone, screen won't turn on, vibrates in a pattern. DopeElite iPhone 42 Nov 14, 2013 12:37 AM
Login screen has solid gray background color, not the usual textured pattern? dandanapple Mac Basics and Help 7 Jul 31, 2013 02:24 PM
iPhone 5 screen showing fuzziness/microvibration pattern? unagimiyagi iPhone 12 Mar 1, 2013 05:07 PM
Checkered pattern on screen fr0d0 MacBook Pro 3 Feb 27, 2013 01:41 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC