Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:21 AM   #1
vkapoormd
macrumors member

Auto answer function on iPhone?

One thing i can not find is if there is a way to set the iphone to answer automatically after 2 or 3 rings, specifically when i am in my car and i am using my bluetooth headset or speakerphone....my old Motorola Krazr had a function to auto answer when the phone was paired with a bluetooth earpiece...does any body have any idea if this is possible....
Lacie FW 800/400 Ext HD 200 G
Ipod Photo 30 GB
Ipod Mini Pink (my wife's)
iSight
Airport Express
D Link 624 Router
vkapoormd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 04:53 PM   #2
pianos101
macrumors regular

I didn't notice any setting going through the list, and you're right, sometimes it's a good feature. But if you're using a BT headset, can't you tap the button on the headset (like the button on the included apple headphones) to answer/end the call?
pianos101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 07:55 AM   #3
habano
macrumors newbie

auto answer

I am also very interested in this feature. It is true that you can tap the button to answer the blue tooth head set, but my hands are not always available. When I am scrubbed in the operating room it is great to have the phone answer without having to touch the head set. It has been my major reason for not getting an iphone
habano is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 09:08 AM   #4
alFR
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by habano View Post
When I am scrubbed in the operating room it is great to have the phone answer without having to touch the head set. It has been my major reason for not getting an iphone
Are you really sure that chatting on the phone while you're operating is a good idea?
alFR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 09:12 AM   #5
gentlegiantcrai
macrumors regular

Quote:
I am also very interested in this feature. It is true that you can tap the button to answer the blue tooth head set, but my hands are not always available. When I am scrubbed in the operating room it is great to have the phone answer without having to touch the head set. It has been my major reason for not getting an iphone
Is that what happens when I am unconscious, having my Kidney removed ???????
gentlegiantcrai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 09:37 AM   #6
txr0ckabilly
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by alFR View Post
Are you really sure that chatting on the phone while you're operating is a good idea?
he's calling for pointers and tips
Old Jul 28, 2008, 09:48 AM   #7
geekmommy4
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by alFR View Post
And I thought chatting on the phone while driving was a bad idea...this beats it by a mile! I hope you're not my doctor.
geekmommy4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 09:50 AM   #8
gentlegiantcrai
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by txr0ckabilly View Post
he's calling for pointers and tips
Isn't that like a police officer calling another police officer, and asking "how do I shoot a gun?"
gentlegiantcrai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:21 AM   #9
PoitNarf
macrumors 65816

I set my TomTom GPS nav unit to answer incoming calls after 7 seconds. This is only an option if your bluetooth device has the option to answer the incoming calls automatically. The iPhone doesn't support this functionality on its own.
PoitNarf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 03:40 PM   #10
drdiazpizarro
macrumors newbie

Automatic answer

I am also very interested in the automatic answer feature, it would be nice for you people from apple to develop some software that would do that.
For those of you making fun about answering the phone while operating (which is something most of surgeons are able to do without risking the patient) I would like to ask you, can you answer the phone while you are working at your office? Well surgery is what we do for working, and we are able to talk while we operate, it is exactly the same to speak to the person right in front of you in the operating room than speaking to someone on the phone. It only takes a minimal IQ to do 2 things at a time (like walking and chewing gum: can you do that?).
Back to the auto answering issue: please develop some software for that!!!!
drdiazpizarro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:11 PM   #11
jjdsandiego
macrumors newbie

Skiin

This is now a big problem for me. I've had an original iPhone for over 2 years and I always kept a separate regular cell phone that I used as my primary phone. I just switched to the iPhone 3GS and got rid of the other phone. Whenever I went skiing in the past I would use my regular cell phone with auto answer. This allowed me to get calls for work or from other skiers without having to dig the phone out of my pocket with gloves on or try to push a button on a headset that's under my hat and helmet. Apple, it would be great if there were a setting for auto answer. I'd also be fine with a 3P app. Hopefully this would support both wired and bluetooth headsets; I prefer wired because bluetooth headsets don't fit well under helmets.
jjdsandiego is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 01:11 PM   #12
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdiazpizarro View Post
For those of you making fun about answering the phone while operating (which is something most of surgeons are able to do without risking the patient) I would like to ask you, can you answer the phone while you are working at your office? Well surgery is what we do for working, and we are able to talk while we operate, it is exactly the same to speak to the person right in front of you in the operating room than speaking to someone on the phone. It only takes a minimal IQ to do 2 things at a time (like walking and chewing gum: can you do that?)...
I wonder how many ear buds have been sewn (or stapled) into patients...
Old Dec 11, 2009, 03:04 PM   #13
testcard
macrumors 65816

I find the Open Heart Surgery 101 App quite useful at times.
testcard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 03:44 PM   #14
neonbright
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdiazpizarro View Post
For those of you making fun about answering the phone while operating (which is something most of surgeons are able to do without risking the patient) I would like to ask you, can you answer the phone while you are working at your office? Well surgery is what we do for working, and we are able to talk while we operate, it is exactly the same to speak to the person right in front of you in the operating room than speaking to someone on the phone. It only takes a minimal IQ to do 2 things at a time (like walking and chewing gum: can you do that?).
Back to the auto answering issue: please develop some software for that!!!!
Unless the call has to do with the current surgery, I don't seriously you should be on a phone while performing the surgery. I in my case one of my jobs is to answer the phone to work with my clients, but if I was performing a surgery I will not be the one answering the phone.
neonbright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 03:59 PM   #15
icewing
macrumors 6502

I doubt that anyone can write an app to do this, instead I believe Apple has to add this functionality. I suggest that you submit an enhancement request to Apple...
Old Dec 11, 2009, 04:52 PM   #16
thelatinist
macrumors 603

I would like to be able to answer the phone by pressing the home button on cold days. As you know, gloves and iPhones don't play well together.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:13 PM   #17
spektro
macrumors newbie

Yes, thereīs an application that can do this and much more.
Itīs called callcontroller and itīs in Cydia and RockApp
spektro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:54 PM   #18
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbright View Post
Unless the call has to do with the current surgery, I don't seriously you should be on a phone while performing the surgery. I in my case one of my jobs is to answer the phone to work with my clients, but if I was performing a surgery I will not be the one answering the phone.
Couple of questions:

1) You're hospital allows people to talk on cells phones? I thought the were generally banned in hospitals, especially in area such as surgery where they can cause interference with the equipment.

2) As a doctor (hopefully), you've surely seen how distracting cell phones can be while driving alone, let alone operating on someone. While your "walking and chewing gum" statement is true, I'm sure you would also agree that performing surgery takes a little bit more muscle control and attention than chewing gum and walking does.

Thanks, I hope that you A) never perform surgery on me, and B) have a good lawyer.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:07 PM   #19
ethical
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
Couple of questions:

1) You're hospital allows people to talk on cells phones? I thought the were generally banned in hospitals, especially in area such as surgery where they can cause interference with the equipment.

2) As a doctor (hopefully), you've surely seen how distracting cell phones can be while driving alone, let alone operating on someone. While your "walking and chewing gum" statement is true, I'm sure you would also agree that performing surgery takes a little bit more muscle control and attention than chewing gum and walking does.

Thanks, I hope that you A) never perform surgery on me, and B) have a good lawyer.
Wow. Way to overreact. Do you think surgeons are incapable of talking while they operate? That they stand in the OR in complete silence for fear of distracting each other? Or is it that you think they stand there holding the phone, or with it perched on their shoulder, so they can continue to use two hands? There is such a thing as hands-free or speaker phone.

Holding your phone to your ear or texting while driving is what makes it dangerous. You don't have use of both hands, and may be looking at the screen. But talking using hands-free is fine, because (for most people) talking isn't that much of a distraction. Why should it be any different in surgery?
ethical is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:20 PM   #20
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenn View Post
Wow. Way to overreact. Do you think surgeons are incapable of talking while they operate? That they stand in the OR in complete silence for fear of distracting each other? Or is it that you think they stand there holding the phone, or with it perched on their shoulder, so they can continue to use two hands? There is such a thing as hands-free or speaker phone.

Holding your phone to your ear or texting while driving is what makes it dangerous. You don't have use of both hands, and may be looking at the screen. But talking using hands-free is fine, because (for most people) talking isn't that much of a distraction. Why should it be any different in surgery?
False on the part about talking and driving. In multiple studies they have found that driving is degraded just as much when talking hands free (bluetooth) and with the phone to the ear.

A conversation requires attention to be diverted away from the task at hand. Talking to a passenger in the car is not as bad because they have found that the passenger is away of the surroundings and are able to pick up body language so the topic can tend to stop when attention is needed. Not possible on on the phone.

The thing that makes the driving ability to go down being on the phone while driving is the conversation itself. Not the fact that only one hand is on the wheel.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:28 PM   #21
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Ok, you ding-dongs.

He didn't say anything about talking on the phone WHILE doing surgery.

He said while he was scrubbed. Meaning, it would be nice to be able to get a phone call after he's washed his hands without having to wash them again. There's certainly times he's in the room before the surgery actually starts.

You're all getting pretty upset over something you guys invented.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:33 PM   #22
testcard
macrumors 65816

Wouldn't the phone have to be sterilized in that environment?
testcard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:35 PM   #23
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Oh, and now that I think about it, I work with a company that gets paid to do video confrencing inside surgical rooms.

They'll set up 3 or 4 video cameras and stream it live so that a doctor operating in New York can talk about what he's doing, live, with a doctor confrence in San Fransisco. He answers questions and talks with 20 or 30 doctors all at the same time while he's working.

They do it all the time. I totally forgot about that. They pays big bucks to set that up.

So everyone getting ready to call their lawyer over a cell phone call, be prepared to get laughed at when the hospital points out that fact in court.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:40 PM   #24
RandomGuy26
macrumors regular

Quote:
umm

should you be answering phones in the operating room ?
RandomGuy26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:40 PM   #25
ethical
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
False on the part about talking and driving. In multiple studies they have found that driving is degraded just as much when talking hands free (bluetooth) and with the phone to the ear.

A conversation requires attention to be diverted away from the task at hand. Talking to a passenger in the car is not as bad because they have found that the passenger is away of the surroundings and are able to pick up body language so the topic can tend to stop when attention is needed. Not possible on on the phone.

The thing that makes the driving ability to go down being on the phone while driving is the conversation itself. Not the fact that only one hand is on the wheel.
Ok, fair enough, interesting study though. But still, I don't see the problem. Surgeons have trained for years and years, I'm sure they can stop talking for two seconds to deal with any hic-ups. I've watched surgery from in the OR. It was hand surgery, so not exactly life threatening, and it was pretty relaxed in there. The surgeon was talking to me a lot, mostly about myself and not the operation. To be honest I think a surgeon would be insulted if you said you don't think they're capable of talking on the phone while operating.
ethical is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting