Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:45 PM   #1
numark
macrumors member

PowerMac Issues with Reading DVD+/-Rs

For the past few days I've been having a problem with my PowerMac reading DVD+Rs and DVD-Rs. While playing a standard (non-recordable) DVD using DVD Player, the video froze and DVD Player said that it couldn't read it because of a scratch or dust (although the disc was almost completely free of scratches). I hit stop and ejected it, and it came out fine.

However, since then, whenever I put in a DVD-R or DVD+R (both of which are supported on my drive), it just reads it for a second then ejects it back out again. I've tried rebooting, unplugging the computer, almost everything I can think of. I've used a variety of discs from various manufacturers, so it's unlikely that that's it either.

Has anyone had this problem and might know a solution to it? Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 2007, 05:22 AM   #2
aussiemac86
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by numark View Post
For the past few days I've been having a problem with my PowerMac reading DVD+Rs and DVD-Rs. While playing a standard (non-recordable) DVD using DVD Player, the video froze and DVD Player said that it couldn't read it because of a scratch or dust (although the disc was almost completely free of scratches). I hit stop and ejected it, and it came out fine.

However, since then, whenever I put in a DVD-R or DVD+R (both of which are supported on my drive), it just reads it for a second then ejects it back out again. I've tried rebooting, unplugging the computer, almost everything I can think of. I've used a variety of discs from various manufacturers, so it's unlikely that that's it either.

Has anyone had this problem and might know a solution to it? Thanks!
Tomorrow I am going to pick up my dual 2.5 from the repair shop, where it had been the past 2 and 1/2 weeks. The reason i sent it in was that it wasnt reading burnt DVD's, it would read most commercial dvd's fine but no burnt ones, even ones it had burnt itself (i.e. it was recognizing blank disks and burning them). Other computers could read the discs it had burnt.

I thought it was just a faulty optical drive, got a call from the resellers saying they had tried a good optical drive and it hadnt worked, so they sent away for a new logic board, that arrived earlier this week, but apparently didnt solve the problem. I got a call this arvo saying that it was ready to pick up though, so I'll let you know what happened to it when I pick it up tomorow.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs