Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

numark

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2004
Buffalo, NY
For the past few days I've been having a problem with my PowerMac reading DVD+Rs and DVD-Rs. While playing a standard (non-recordable) DVD using DVD Player, the video froze and DVD Player said that it couldn't read it because of a scratch or dust (although the disc was almost completely free of scratches). I hit stop and ejected it, and it came out fine.

However, since then, whenever I put in a DVD-R or DVD+R (both of which are supported on my drive), it just reads it for a second then ejects it back out again. I've tried rebooting, unplugging the computer, almost everything I can think of. I've used a variety of discs from various manufacturers, so it's unlikely that that's it either.

Has anyone had this problem and might know a solution to it? Thanks!

aussiemac86

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2004
the land of OZ
For the past few days I've been having a problem with my PowerMac reading DVD+Rs and DVD-Rs. While playing a standard (non-recordable) DVD using DVD Player, the video froze and DVD Player said that it couldn't read it because of a scratch or dust (although the disc was almost completely free of scratches). I hit stop and ejected it, and it came out fine.

However, since then, whenever I put in a DVD-R or DVD+R (both of which are supported on my drive), it just reads it for a second then ejects it back out again. I've tried rebooting, unplugging the computer, almost everything I can think of. I've used a variety of discs from various manufacturers, so it's unlikely that that's it either.

Has anyone had this problem and might know a solution to it? Thanks!

Tomorrow I am going to pick up my dual 2.5 from the repair shop, where it had been the past 2 and 1/2 weeks. The reason i sent it in was that it wasnt reading burnt DVD's, it would read most commercial dvd's fine but no burnt ones, even ones it had burnt itself (i.e. it was recognizing blank disks and burning them). Other computers could read the discs it had burnt.

I thought it was just a faulty optical drive, got a call from the resellers saying they had tried a good optical drive and it hadnt worked, so they sent away for a new logic board, that arrived earlier this week, but apparently didnt solve the problem. I got a call this arvo saying that it was ready to pick up though, so I'll let you know what happened to it when I pick it up tomorow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.