Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smithy16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
I'm looking at buying either a MacBook or a MacBook Pro (probably refurbished). I'd like the Pro because I'll be using it a desktop replacement, but I don't know if I'll be able to afford it with the AppleCare.

Basically, this could be the difference between me using a MacBook or a MacBook Pro for the next several years.

So, how important is AppleCare? If my computer has problems, will I be able to get Apple to take care of it by nagging them enough even if I don't have the AppleCare?

If you bought it for your Apple notebook, do you think it was worth it? If you didn't, did you end up regretting it?

Thanks in advance.

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Orange County, California
I suggest you buy applecare, I don't think apple would fix it for you by bugging them, if you can't afford it, then wait about a month before the standard 1 year warranty ends, and buy it then,
and on ebay, you can find brand new applecare for all macbooks, for $50-$100 off the regular price, thats where I am going to get mine when I buy my MB\MBP

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
IMO, the difference between a MacBook and a MBP is more important. I'd go with the MBP. Even without AppleCare, you get a one-year limited warranty. If there are problems after that, yes you're more likely to have to pay, but to me that's still worth having the MBP, which I think is a much more powerful computer.

Don't forget that even if you don't buy it with AppleCare, you can always buy AppleCare separately, up to a year later (possibly longer, I don't know).

ecks618

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
NYC
I would definitely suggest that you get the applecare. Sometimes it doesn't pay like getting an ipod shuffle and the applecare, but for something like the MBP, you should get it just for peace of mind.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Applecare can be bought anytime within the first year (and you'll be covered during this time anyways), so I wouldn't let it affect your decision now. Buy the laptop, and decide on warranty later.

But yes, in general, applecare is pretty useful for laptops - only because it can be so expensive to repair them compared to desktops. However, this varies depending on how comfortable you are with computers, of course. If you can make some repairs yourself, then you might not bother with Applecare at all.

Kaiser Phoenix

Cancelled
May 12, 2005
Definately get apple care, imagine if the LCD dies or what not...Laptops have a much higher probability of something inside going wrong due to the small parts and the fact that you always move it around.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
i highly recommend it. i bought my MacBook Pro in May '06. so it's just over a year old, so the standard warranty ran out. both of my fans just died. good thing i have AppleCare, they're replacing the logic board and both fans, at no charge. i would imagine something like that would be a few hundred bucks to fix. something like a $2000 laptop i don't even think twice about spending $200 for a warranty. the AppleCare will end up paying for itself as soon as i get my laptop back. i also bought an extended warranty on my LCD TV. 2 months after using it we had 8 dead pixels as well as a large cluster of stuck pixels in the middle (this was a $4500 Sharp TV). Sharp wouldn't do anything at all, they said that the issue didn't make the TV unwatchable (huh?). so since i had the warranty Best Buy gave us a new TV, the next generation model with better specs, at no cost. my opinion is that warranties are worth it on high ticket items.

Turkish

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2007
Can you afford to dig out several hundred dollars for an out-of-warranty repair?

You can also buy the MBP now, and make sure you save up enough for AppleCare before the year warranty is out - keep in mind you lose phone support after 90 days.

jazzkids

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2004
Providence, RI
Ditto.

I always get the computer first and wait out the year before getting Applecare. This let's you shake out the bugs. Also, something better might come along and you sell the thing. AFAIO you can not transfer AC to a new computer.

Definitely get the higher-end mac. It will last you longer in the long run. Check the specs on the video card in both. You'll see the MBP has much better performance. This is important for video and graphics apps.

I was using an iMac 20" 2ghz (2nd gen I think) for Finalcut and it was slow!!! Switch over to using my MBP (1st gen) with a 24" LG lcd and "sweet" has a new definition!

Good luck :cool:

EDIT: Do get the applecare in month 10-11 if you are going to keep the machine. It is definitely worth it for years 2-3

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
IMO, very important for laptops, not so much for desktops. My brother ended up having to get a new MacBook because he didn't have AppleCare on an iBook where the logic board went bad. The repair would have been more than the ibook was worth - happened after 18 months of ownership, too. :-/

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
Applecare can be bought anytime within the first year (and you'll be covered during this time anyways), so I wouldn't let it affect your decision now. Buy the laptop, and decide on warranty later.

But yes, in general, applecare is pretty useful for laptops - only because it can be so expensive to repair them compared to desktops. However, this varies depending on how comfortable you are with computers, of course. If you can make some repairs yourself, then you might not bother with Applecare at all.

I'd listen to him. That is what I'm doing :)

The Stig

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I would have to echo the sentiment of "you should buy AppleCare".

I got AppleCare on my iMac, and it had an issue outside of the regular warranty period. I had to bring it to the Apple store for repairs, it was gone for two days but came back working good as new. The repair bill was close to $1000 dollars, which was all covered by AppleCare. I dread the thought if I didn't have it.

So when I got the MBP it was just reflex to buy AppleCare with it. Just think down the road if something happens and you DON'T have AppleCare.

247phil

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2007
Just a side-note...

AppleCare warranties are FULLY transferrable to a new owner. This is part of the reason that you see certain used Macs selling for more than others on eBay.

I agree with everyone else here too. Just make sure that you don't FORGET to buy it, as a friend of mine did... his PowerBook died about 18 months after he bought it, and no AppleCare meant that the repairs to the tune of $1100 :eek: were his to bare... OUCH. :(

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
And Remember To Activate It!

AppleCare warranties are FULLY transferrable to a new owner. This is part of the reason that you see certain used Macs selling for more than others on eBay.

I agree with everyone else here too. Just make sure that you don't FORGET to buy it, as a friend of mine did... his PowerBook died about 18 months after he bought it, and no AppleCare meant that the repairs to the tune of $1100 :eek: were his to bare... OUCH. :(

Getting AppleCare is a two step process:
1) Purchase AppleCare
2) Activate AppleCare

and BOTH steps need to be done before the first year of ownership has lapsed.

NtotheIzoo

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2005
Don't forget that even if you don't buy it with AppleCare, you can always buy AppleCare separately, up to a year later (possibly longer, I don't know).

Definitely not longer...i was a day late and had a great excuse because i was in ireland for the summer...but, they still wouldn't let me purchase applecare...i even talked to a manager..

and, wouldn't you know it, my little 12" after 22-23 months of use crapped out...it's a graphics card error which means it'll cost me like 500 or so to get a new logic board installed...definitely worth buying the applecare.

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
Buy your MBP w/a credit card that extends the std warranty. Then if you're truly flat-broke on day 364 or just forgetful at least you should get another year though I'm not sure how it actually works. You won't get phone support but it's still better than nothing.

I'll always buy it.

looking4anotebo

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2007
What do you guys think is better?

Extended warranty from credit card company, Roughly $150-$175 for 4 years

or Applecare for $200-$230 for 3 years?

Turkish

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2007
What do you guys think is better?

Extended warranty from credit card company, Roughly $150-$175 for 4 years

or Applecare for $200-$230 for 3 years?

Is VISA going to fix your laptop for you or pawn it off to some third-party company that will keep your laptop for weeks and have no idea how to fix a Mac?

AppleCare.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
Don't forget Applecare won't cover anything that might be suspect to physical damage. I personally never cared for extended warranties. All my electronic equipment have always lasted many years, but it's nice you know you have 11 months to make that decision.

NickD

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2007
Colorado
If it's a notebook, definitely get AppleCare. The purchase of a notebook basically means to plan to be taking it places quite often, therefore, exposing the machine to more opportunities for problems.

It could easily save you $500-600 down the line.

amvickers

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2007
I've been doing alot of research on the reliability of the MB vs. the MBP. It seems like the MB has more problems, but if the MBP has a problem its usually something major with the fan's or the logic board. So MBP problems are less common but more major, and MB are the opposite (more common less major). You be the judge. I have it for my iPod 80 GB and my iMac G5, and so far nothing has gone wrong with either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.