Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Jul 22, 2003, 06:35 AM   #1
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus

FDA Reconsiders Ban on Breast Implants

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ast_implants_2

Personally, I completely disagree with breast implants. Placing foreign substances in your body isn't natural; and while I know there is justifiable purpose to do so in some cases, I feel this type of thing is sooo not needed and extremely dangerous.

just my .02...
eyelikeart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 08:26 AM   #2
iGav
macrumors G3

One of my ex's has mentioned she's considering having it done, and I've told her I think she's totally nutts. There really is nothing wrong with the way she is erm *cough cough* blessed...

She's in final year of med-school as well, so I can't even BS her with dodgy health facts.

But it's for the individual to decide I guess, if it makes someone feel better about themselves and more confident then it's a good thing.

There should be a limit of size though... some of the results that you get to see look like they been proportioned by a cartoon artist havin' a larf!!!
Old Jul 22, 2003, 10:53 AM   #3
michaelrjohnson
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to michaelrjohnson
not my place to decide. personally, i dont' think i'd want any one of the women i date to have them, but if they want them, know the risks, can pay for them, and have a good reason: self-esteem, post-breast cancer, etc. they can go ahead.

it's really not my place to make any decision like that for anybody else.
Old Jul 22, 2003, 10:58 AM   #4
wdlove
macrumors 604

I personally disagree with breast implants. The decision should be made between the doctor and patient. The woman should make an informed decison only after she knows all the facts and risks. I also feel that I should not have to bear any of the cost for the surgery or complications. She should be able to bear the full cost up front. No expense on my part from insurance or taxes!
Old Jul 22, 2003, 04:00 PM   #5
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
I think breast implants are a terrible idea... but mostly I'm upset that society has placed these rigid unreal expectations on women and their bodies that make them actually consider something so self-destructive. But banning the implants is merely taking away a symptom of a much greater problem... And will result in a lot of women going to Mexico for them...

pnw
rainman::|:| is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 04:23 PM   #6
MrMacMan
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
:looks around:

uh oh, taking the defense of people with them.

Look some people are *too* well equipped and need this surgery to lower the size of their breasts, in this it is needed.

I don't think they are needed when people want to make them... bigger.
IM Me On AIM Already!
MrMacMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 05:18 PM   #7
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
Quote:
Originally posted by MrMacman
:looks around:

uh oh, taking the defense of people with them.

Look some people are *too* well equipped and need this surgery to lower the size of their breasts, in this it is needed.

I don't think they are needed when people want to make them... bigger.
Putting things in breast don't make them smaller. Implants are ONLY used to make them bigger.

You're thinking of "breast augmentation", which is surgery performed to alter the size of breasts, encompassing both reductions and 'enhancements'.

pnw
rainman::|:| is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 06:57 PM   #8
alia
macrumors 6502a

It might make some of you feel better that my dad, who's a plastic surgeon, will evaluate the patient, not only physically, but mentally, before he will do an augmentation for them. If he feels they are getting them for the wrong reasons or that they are unstable, he won't do the procedure... I'm sure other, less scrupulous doctors do, though.

A lot of his patients are women who have had breasts removed due to cancer or other disfiguring accidents.

I personally wouldn't do it. Heck, I need a reduction as it is! But I think it can be beneficial for self-esteem in recovering cancer patients.

The problem with being a plastic surgeon's daughter is that you can almost ALWAYS spot the fake ones. And not just the unnaturally perky ones either. Sometimes, you can see the outline. Blech! I don't know why some guys go for that kind of thing.

Alia
alia is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events