Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wngraham

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
Nashville, TN
I've decided to replace the stock 160 GB in my iMac with a 500 GB Seagate. I've verified it's the correct type, etc. (serial ATA), but have a couple of questions concerning installation.

I've done quite a bit of searching but keep getting different info depending on the post I happen to be reading.

Don't the older G5 iMacs have fairly easy user replaceable parts? Am I correct in thinking it's the Intel and Rev. C iMacs that need "pro" installation?

wngraham

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
Nashville, TN
I've got everything taken apart and ready to go, but the new drive (Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM) doesn't have anywhere to attach the thermal sensor cable.

Can it still be used?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The thermal sensor should have just stayed attached to the metal clip it was on. In the 20-inch model it just slips back into its place on the clip.

wngraham

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
Nashville, TN
The thermal sensor should have just stayed attached to the metal clip it was on. In the 20-inch model it just slips back into its place on the clip.

But the metal clip is screwed onto the HDD along with the "male" part of the sensor. The three screws removed for the drive replacement didn't effect the metal clip.

wngraham

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
Nashville, TN
Somehow I ended up looking at the instructions for HDD replacement in an Intel iMac, and despite mine being a Rev. B PPC model, the thermal sensor attachment in mine is the same as an Intel. In other words I'll have to remove the metal bracket from the old drive and attach it to the new HDD.

Thanks for all the help, this explains why your diagnosis of the clip staying attached in the case didn't make sense. Puzzling....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.