Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacky852

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
I am new in Mac Mini and has forgotten my password to login. I have reset the password by the installation disk but still require the user password to login when I restart my Mac Mini
Anyone can advise me how can I reset the user password so that I can login my Mac Mini.

Million Thanks :confused::confused::confused: .........................

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
...But you reset it. Whatever you changed it to with the Password Change Utility should work for getting you access to the account. Sorry mate, have I missed something? :eek:

jacky852

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
I am interested to know how to access "Password Change Utility" as I am now stuck at the login screen and cannot get into the normal desktop without a correct password. Any way, can do it with the administrator password :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
as MJ said, the problem should have been fixed after resetting your password from the install disk. Your master password should log you in to all accounts.

Just try it again.

hh83917

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2005
Post from http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2007/07/11458/
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Forget about setting a password on your Mac as a way to protect your data. It seems MacOS X passwords are extremely easily hacked simply by booting a Mac into single user mode.

When starting the Mac, after the chime, hold the Apple and S keys - This will enter the OS into single user mode.

To crack a the machines password you will need to know the username of main account. If you don’t know the username, while in single user mode, type:

niutil -list . /users

After the username is obtained then type in:

#sh /etc/rc
#passwd username
#reboot

Be sure to replace username with the username of the machine. Even though this hack will grant you entry to the Mac, all the keychain passwords on the compromised machine will be erased.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.