Broken iBook screen - want external monitor - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:59 PM   #1
jmufellow
macrumors regular

Broken iBook screen - want external monitor

So I dropped my 12 inch 1.33 GHz ibook and broke the display. The screen is still usable, but it won't show certain colors and there are horizontal lines that travel from the top to the bottom. Needless to say, it gets very annoying and is an eyestrain.

Therefore, I would like to buy an external monitor and was wondering if buying a larger (like 19 inch) monitor would work, since it has only a 12 inch screen? Do I have to use the spanning hack?

Also, is there a way to turn off or disable the ibook screen when using an external monitor? Thanks much.
jmufellow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2007, 12:05 AM   #2
Fleetwood Mac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmufellow View Post
So I dropped my 12 inch 1.33 GHz ibook and broke the display. The screen is still usable, but it won't show certain colors and there are horizontal lines that travel from the top to the bottom. Needless to say, it gets very annoying and is an eyestrain.

Therefore, I would like to buy an external monitor and was wondering if buying a larger (like 19 inch) monitor would work, since it has only a 12 inch screen? Do I have to use the spanning hack?

Also, is there a way to turn off or disable the ibook screen when using an external monitor? Thanks much.
Enter.........desktop mode.

Close your iBooks lid, plug in the monitor + external keyboard and mouse, click and enjoy the stationary laptop goodness. No spanning in this case.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 12:11 AM   #3
jmufellow
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
Close your iBooks lid...
Oh yeah, forgot to add, it doesn't close anymore. The screen is so bent out of shape it won't latch.

And on more question. Will a widescreen monitor work? like one of Dells widescreen flat panels?

Last edited by jmufellow; Jul 14, 2007 at 12:21 AM.
jmufellow is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs