Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I am trying to create an ISO of my quickbooks CD, for easier install into parallels and/or VMware.

What is a Mac program that will let me take my CD, and turn it into an image, which I can mount in the virtualization programs and run in XP? I used to do all this in Nero, but I have no idea for the Mac.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Use Disk Utility to make an image (File > New > Disk Image from CD), then open the image directly in VMware (Virtual Machine > CD/DVD > Use Image or something to that effect).

hopejr

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
New South Wales, Australia
I am trying to create an ISO of my quickbooks CD, for easier install into parallels and/or VMware.

What is a Mac program that will let me take my CD, and turn it into an image, which I can mount in the virtualization programs and run in XP? I used to do all this in Nero, but I have no idea for the Mac.

/Applications/Utilities/Disk Image.app. Select the session on the CD, click "New Image" in the toolbar, and create it as a CD/DVD Master. It will create a .cdr file that can be renamed to .iso, and this will work in VMWare and Parallels.

Note: plain dmg files don't work, even when renamed.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Use Disk Utility to make an image (File > New > Disk Image from CD), then open the image directly in VMware (Virtual Machine > CD/DVD > Use Image or something to that effect).

EDIT: nevermind, I reinserted the disk and it showed up.

So when I am making the image from the device, which setting will render it as a PC/windows mountable ISO?

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
/Applications/Utilities/Disk Image.app. Select the session on the CD, click "New Image" in the toolbar, and create it as a CD/DVD Master. It will create a .cdr file that can be renamed to .iso, and this will work in VMWare and Parallels.

Note: plain dmg files don't work, even when renamed.

Interesting. so a .cdr can just be renamed and it's an .iso that mounts into Vmware?

I have my XP SP2 disc saved as an ISO, and thats how I install virtual machines, its alot faster than using a real CD. And since quickbooks (and it's registration code) seem to get lost alot, would be nice to just be able to mount it and install it without having to track down the CD every time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.