Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Jun 28, 2014, 08:08 AM   #1
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Eli Wallach RIP age 98

I always think of his character first whenever people mention the movie "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly".

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/25/mo...t-98.html?_r=0
Plutonius is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2014, 08:16 AM   #2
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
I always think of his character whenever people mention the movie "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly".

Wallach was one of the new breed of "method" actors in his youth, along with Brando, Montgomery Clift, John Garfield, and others. They revolutionized film acting forever. Although "The Good, The Bad, And the Ugly" is possibly his best known film by a somewhat younger audience, his earlier films revealed a deeper acting talent which he displayed admirably. Never a huge star, or leading man type, he, and others, were more like superb character actors (I like character actors more than "stars", generally).

His body of work remains, and his early work is very much worth viewing.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 01:33 PM   #3
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
I always think of his character first whenever people mention the movie "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly".

Actually, I tend to think of Lee Van Cleef, when discussing that particular movie, but then, (I may have mentioned it elsewhere, but, um, I am rather an fan of Lee Van Cleef).

Nevertheless, Eli Wallach was one of those great, rugged, reliable, utterly solid actors, and was a wonderful character actor as well Indeed, in common with Shrink, personally, I much prefer character actors to any number of vapid, blandly anonymous, handsome lead actors devoid of personality or…….dare one mention it, character……..
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:46 AM   #4
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Wallach was one of the new breed of "method" actors in his youth, along with Brando, Montgomery Clift, John Garfield, and others. They revolutionized film acting forever. Although "The Good, The Bad, And the Ugly" is possibly his best known film by a somewhat younger audience, his earlier films revealed a deeper acting talent which he displayed admirably. Never a huge star, or leading man type, he, and others, were more like superb character actors (I like character actors more than "stars", generally).

His body of work remains, and his early work is very much worth viewing.
Especially his first starring film role in "Baby Doll" (1956). This film was also Wallach's personal favorite, so that says a lot. I don't see Wallach as a character actor. Though he was often cast in tough guy roles (and they stuck with his image, obviously), he played a much wider variety of parts than are generally associated with character actors. And FWIW, some big stars were essentially character actors. John Wayne, for one. Nobody played John Wayne better than John Wayne.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
Actually, I tend to think of Lee Van Cleef, when discussing that particular movie, but then, (I may have mentioned it elsewhere, but, um, I am rather an fan of Lee Van Cleef).

Nevertheless, Eli Wallach was one of those great, rugged, reliable, utterly solid actors, and was a wonderful character actor as well Indeed, in common with Shrink, personally, I much prefer character actors to any number of vapid, blandly anonymous, handsome lead actors devoid of personality or…….dare one mention it, character……..
As above, I don't think of Wallach as a character actor, simply because he was never a huge star. He was more in the Brando mold, an actor who could disappear into his parts.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 06:50 PM   #5
kazmac
macrumors 68000

Belated R.I.P. but... The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, for me, Eli rode away with that movie. I enjoy Lee Van Cleef quite a bit, but once Tuco comes on, it is hard to focus on Angel Eyes.
kazmac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2014, 07:34 PM   #6
aaronvan
macrumors 6502

Eli wrote a great book about his years in Hollywood. It's very interesting.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 06:36 AM   #7
mwa
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazmac View Post
Belated R.I.P. but... The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, for me, Eli rode away with that movie. I enjoy Lee Van Cleef quite a bit, but once Tuco comes on, it is hard to focus on Angel Eyes.
That was all I saw him in, but he stole the show. I love the way he through himself into it, and the ending where the theme came in was perfect.

RIP Tuco.
Last edited by mwa; Tomorrow at 03:61 AM.
mwa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2014, 07:52 AM   #8
Huntn
macrumors 604

He made a name playing bad guys, one of my favorite character actors. I was not a fan of the Spaghetti Westerns, my favorites were Charlie Gant in How The West Was Won and Calvera in The Magnificent Seven. He also played The General in Lord Jim which I need to watch again, if I can find it.

How The West was Won filmed in "Cinerama" was an incredible experience, larger than life, 3 cameras side by side, that Wallach played a great role as a colorful and charismatic outlaw. Cinerama rivals, in some ways out does IMAX. Look at the full size theater images to have your socks knocked off!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1092-3.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	490092

Name:	howthewestwaswon1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	490096

Name:	West600.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	490097

Name:	west11.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	961.9 KB
ID:	490098

Name:	image018ul.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	635.5 KB
ID:	490102

Last edited by Huntn; Sep 11, 2014 at 08:15 AM.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2014, 06:12 PM   #9
kazmac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
He made a name playing bad guys, one of my favorite character actors. I was not a fan of the Spaghetti Westerns, my favorites were Charlie Gant in How The West Was Won and Calvera in The Magnificent Seven. He also played The General in Lord Jim which I need to watch again, if I can find it.

How The West was Won filmed in "Cinerama" was an incredible experience, larger than life, 3 cameras side by side, that Wallach played a great role as a colorful and charismatic outlaw. Cinerama rivals, in some ways out does IMAX. Look at the full size theater images to have your socks knocked off!
That's right, he was the baddie in the Magnificent Seven. Thanks for the refresher.
kazmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events