Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jul 15, 2007, 10:58 PM   #1
Luigi239
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Luigi239
iMac g3 doesn't turn on...all I can hear are the fans.

Hey everybody...I was planning on adding some more ram to my g3 tray loading iMac, so I opened up the case and went to see how much ram is in each slot. (removed the processor board and such) I closed it back up, (with a degree of difficulty...those things are hard to put back), plugged it in and turned it on. All I hear are the fans, and a glowing orange light on the power button. I also can't eject the CD drive.

Is this a matter of a loose cable on the logic board, or did I seriously screw up my iMac? I'd rather have a working machine then a dang Macquarium. I was fairly gentle with it, made sure to discharge my static, and triple checked the cables before closing the case.

Thanks for the help, ya'll.
Luigi239 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2007, 11:09 PM   #2
MattyP
macrumors member

You may have unintentionally un-seated the ram... I know it is a pain in the butt but try to dissasemble and try to push the ram all the way into it's slot and see if this is the problem. Oh- Before you do this try to hit the reset button and/or zap the pram(http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238). Probably wont do the trick, but if it does it means not having to deal with that plastic shell and all of those cursed screws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi239 View Post
Hey everybody...I was planning on adding some more ram to my g3 tray loading iMac, so I opened up the case and went to see how much ram is in each slot. (removed the processor board and such) I closed it back up, (with a degree of difficulty...those things are hard to put back), plugged it in and turned it on. All I hear are the fans, and a glowing orange light on the power button.

Is this a matter of a loose cable on the logic board, or did I seriously screw up my iMac? I'd rather have a working machine then a dang Macquarium. I was fairly gentle with it, made sure to discharge my static, and triple checked the cables before closing the case.

Thanks for the help, ya'll.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 11:18 PM   #3
Luigi239
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Luigi239
Thanks for the response.

I did unseat both ram sticks, but I put both of them back into place, at least I thought so.

What worries me most is the display doesnt turn on, the button on the CD drive doesn't do anything, and the reset/shutdown button that you push with a paper clip on the side of the thing (which is on the logic board) doesn't work, which means that it sounds like its the whole logic board.

EDIT: I found this thread on another board that has symptoms just like mine does...
http://www.macfixitforums.com/php/sh...5&o=31&fpart=1

One person's solution was to just reseat the processor and memory card. Since I was just fooling around with that exact card, that might be a good idea. I'm going to go try that tomorrow, but if anybody still has any ideas, please, let me know.

Last edited by Luigi239; Jul 15, 2007 at 11:48 PM.
Luigi239 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs