Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:21 PM   #1
blueicedj
macrumors 6502

Video Editing: imac or macbook pro?

I'm looking for a machine to edit HD movies in. Now I know the macbook pro is probably better for this, but I already have a laptop, and would prefer a desktop machine. The mac pro's are just too expensive for me. I'm wondering if the imac will be capable of handling HD movie editing, or if I should just try and use a macbook pro as my desktop...
blueicedj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2007, 01:15 PM   #2
Edrubin
macrumors member

Imac

Hey, that was a great question and I had the same one as well. I went with the 24inch Imac and upped the memory and could not be happier. It handles HD editing great and you can't beat the screen resolution. I would absolutely choose a beefed up Imac over the macbook pro (and it still comes out cheaper).
Edrubin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2007, 03:34 PM   #3
blueicedj
macrumors 6502

thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear the imac is working great with HD. Now I would probably need an external hard drive with that...something fast, and sizewise probably between 350-500gb. I would prefer it use firewire as I know that can be faster...any suggestions?
blueicedj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2007, 01:49 AM   #4
Edrubin
macrumors member

Imac

An external drive is a must. Not sure what your budget is, but depending on the type of HD files you can't go wrong with 1 TB. I bought a 300 gig two years ago for 130 and now you can get 1 TB for $300. Firewire is another must for use with video files. You should look into finding a drive with firewire 800, but if not 400 will suffice. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Edrubin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2007, 01:55 AM   #5
CalBoy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueicedj View Post
I'm looking for a machine to edit HD movies in. Now I know the macbook pro is probably better for this, but I already have a laptop, and would prefer a desktop machine. The mac pro's are just too expensive for me. I'm wondering if the imac will be capable of handling HD movie editing, or if I should just try and use a macbook pro as my desktop...
Personally, I think that if you have a good laptop, a display to go with it would have been better. However, since it seems you don't have a macbook pro at this time, save up and buy an updated iMac, the current ones are not worth it. If after the update, the iMac you want is more than or the same as a mbp, get the mbp and sell your old laptop. Use the proceeds to get a large display
CalBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice