Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005

Today was going to be about how to make a super-cute homemade iPhone case. I got cute fabric, some cute buttons for a closure… all so freakin' adorable, but...

fabrics_500.jpg

Read Full Article

Scottgfx

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2002
Fort Myers, FL
I just bought the incase rubbery thing-a-ma-bob for my iPhone, but don't give up on your case idea. Refine it as I'm sure there is a huge market for iPhone acessories that appeal to women. I on the other hand wouldn't do too well with your case unless I explained that... "well you see this girl made it for me and...". Hmmmm... now that I think about it. Your case could be a "chic magnet".

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Get a Bestskinsever.com skin for grip and full body protection and if you don't want a glossier, ever so slightly textured screen, get a http://www.Powersupportusa.com Crystal Film (available at Apple Stores when not sold out) - these two make a great combo from what I hear (I have the film but need to apply my skin) and then do yourself the biggest favor of all. Order a foofpod for the iPhone from http://www.foofshop.com and you won't be disappointed. I can't remember who turned me onto them, but I should dig up the thread and thank them with a PM and a big (name goes here) Thank You right here. How can you go wrong with $25 Handmade in Australia case that is washable and says right on a packaging, what little there is, Our products are made ethically in the country we live... Seriously, this business is two people handmaking MacBook sleeves, iPod and iPhone pouches, out of cool and vintage fabrics 'to help protect yor expensive digital devices from dust and scratches and sharp objects in your pocket, case or backpack'.

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
I was going to do this very same thing, and perhaps I still will in time.

Order a foofpod for the iPhone from http://www.foofshop.com and you won't be disappointed. I can't remember who turned me onto them, but I should dig up the thread and thank them with a PM and a big (name goes here) Thank You right here.

Agreed, completely. I purchased one for my MacBook, my iPod 5G and iPhone all in one go, a month or so before the iPhone was released. They aren't the best cases for protection sake, because the device can slip out of the well-stretched fabric after awhile. But they're amazingly simple, and the company is definitely one to be supported.

Panu

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2005
Virginia suburbs of DC
Why not just wear iPants?

I carry my iPhone with me everywhere I go without a case. That's because I'm wearing home-made iPants.

I put the iPhone in the left front pocket of my pants, then took the pants off with the iPhone still in the pocket. I made sure that the iPhone was at the bottom and along the straight side, which is nearest the inseam. I marked the pocket in two places; one near the bottom of the iPhone, and the other about one third of the way down from the top. Then I removed the iPhone and (without turning the pocket inside out) stitched the pocket together in both places, using the same technique as sewing on buttons, but of course without the buttons. It doesn't require a sewing machine, it only takes a minute, and it won't pucker in the laundry. It doesn't even matter what color the thread is, because it never shows.

If you don't know how to sew on a button, Moms and military guys probably know how.

Now I can slip my iPhone into my left front pants pocket. It stays vertical over the front of my thigh, where it is barely noticeable if at all, but very accessible.

loudestnoise

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Nashville, TN
So I am confused. This is a post about how you made a case that doesn't fit. Then you started talking about another case that you had purchased and returned to your "happy place"?

Giies

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2007
I was gonna ask my mom to sew me one, I'm gonna go to the fabric store this Monday with my mom see if we can find one that is cute and soft. Yours look really cute, I may ask my mom to do one just like that.

epiphany

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2004
Rocklin,CA
I don't think there's anything wrong with your plan, except choice of fabric and pattern size. You should be able to tweak the pattern to get a better fit, and I would suggest that perhaps cotton fat quarters aren't your best choice. Something like jersey knit might work mo' bettah.

handbent

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2007
i bought a case for my iphone, didnt want it to end up like my ipod video with a scratched up screen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.