Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:01 AM   #1
btallada9870
macrumors member

Sorting contacts...

Is there any way to get your contacts to sort by their first name instead of their last? If not, would it work if I just put the first and last name in the first name space?
btallada9870 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:04 AM   #2
gr8tfly
macrumors 603

Settings > Phone.

Under "Contacts":

You can change both Sort and Display order.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:04 AM   #3
siurpeeman
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
isn't the default setting to sort it by first name? you can change it in the "phone" settings if it isn't already sorted that way.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:07 AM   #4
btallada9870
macrumors member

I don't have an iPhone yet. I'm getting it Friday though!!! I was just wondering because in any of the pictures, i never saw it sorted by first name
btallada9870 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:30 AM   #5
roland.g
macrumors Demi-God

The other thing you can do that I did was to set up in my Address Book or in your Contacts in Outlook, Groups (Subfolders in outlook) and so when you choose what to sync, I sync my iPhone list which is all the contacts I want on my phone, but then also the subgroups of that, Friends, Family, Biz (which I use for places I call now and then - pizza, golf tee times, electrician, etc) and Freqs, so that I can go into a subgroup instead of scrolling through all my contacts.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:32 AM   #6
siurpeeman
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by btallada9870 View Post
I don't have an iPhone yet. I'm getting it Friday though!!! I was just wondering because in any of the pictures, i never saw it sorted by first name
the default setting is to sort by first name, though you can change that. you can also choose to show last name first if desired.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 10:57 AM   #7
rainmanbk
macrumors 6502

I really hope you will be able to sort by company in future updates.. or at least search. My dad is getting pretty mad that he can't do that. He has way to many contacts to go through. Even with the shortcut of jumping to the first letter, it's still 4 or 5 flicks to find the person. I told him we could maybe use groups, but still... that would be a group for every company? or I don't even know. Also, I don't know if Entourage supports groups. He isn't going to want to use Address Book.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 09:57 PM   #8
DiamondMac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8tfly View Post
Settings > Phone.

Under "Contacts":

Good post.

I didn't know that and was wondering the same thing.
21.5-inch, 500GB, 2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
DiamondMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 05:32 AM   #9
bambino tostare
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8tfly View Post
Settings > Phone.

Under "Contacts":

Just in case anyone else can't find it here, try

"Settings" > "Mail, Contacts, Calendar"

Then scroll down to the Contacts section and click on "Sort Order" - that's where it is on my 16G 3GS
bambino tostare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 06:40 AM   #10
audiosclie
macrumors newbie

see vendor information in user profile
Send a message via Skype™ to audiosclie
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmanbk View Post
I really hope you will be able to sort by company in future updates.. or at least search. My dad is getting pretty mad that he can't do that. He has way to many contacts to go through. Even with the shortcut of jumping to the first letter, it's still 4 or 5 flicks to find the person. I told him we could maybe use groups, but still... that would be a group for every company? or I don't even know. Also, I don't know if Entourage supports groups. He isn't going to want to use Address Book.

Download the App "Groups". It is hands down, the best contact organizing application I have found.
audiosclie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:30 AM   #11
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmanbk View Post
If he taps the home button so search comes up and types the company name it'll list people with that in th copany field in the address book
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:59 AM   #12
lakemom
macrumors newbie

Smile Contacts list: sort first name first, & in bold black

Here's a "full fix" that worked for me:
> Settings (icon)
> Mail, Contacts, Calendar
- Scroll down to "Contacts" box
> Sort Order
> "First, Last"
Return to "Mail, Contacts, Calendar" and scroll down again to "Contacts" box
> Display Order
> "First, Last"

Warning: do not choose the "Phone" icon" on the main icon screen, or the "Phone" choice within Settings. I didn't see any way to get to "Sort Order" or "Display Order" when I started from either of those choices.

Note: If you make a choice under "Sort Order" but not under "Display Order", the Contacts List WILL appear in "first name first" order, but the first name will appear in light grey, and the last name will be in bold black. That is confusing to look at. By choosing "First, Last" under both "Sort Order" and "Display Order", the first name will BOTH appear first and appear in bold black.
lakemom is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting