Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macaddict23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2006
MacVille, USA
Under my Wi-Fi Settings, my network shows up, I log-in, I turn Wi-Fi on, but when I exit and browse the Internet, the "E" logo still shows up on the upper-left of the main screen. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

sJv

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
Sierra Foothills, CA
Under my Wi-Fi Settings, my network shows up, I log-in, I turn Wi-Fi on, but when I exit and browse the Internet, the "E" logo still shows up on the upper-left of the main screen. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

I've been having a problem like this with my home network and my work network. They will work fine, then all of a sudden, they won't work. It looks like they fail to get an IP address via DHCP as I see that either no info is filled in, or the default IP address is shown. What usually works for me is to forget the network, turn off Wi-Fi, turn it back on, then select the network again. If this doesn't work, try powering off the iPhone (not standby), and power it back on. It's obviously some glitch in the networking code.

-steve

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
My iPhone works well with my home Wifi but does NOT work with my work Wifi and I have no idea why.

Both use the same TYPE of router and both have simple passwords.

I tried it several times at work. To no avail.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
If you have already tried "WEP" and "WEP hex or ASCII," try going to back to the list of available networks and choose "Other..."

There you can choose from two more pw types, "WPA" and "WPA2."

Update: Use 64bit instead of 128bit security. No more password incorrect messages.

liberty4all

Jan 7, 2007
I have massive flakiness problems with my iPhone to a DI-624 Rev. B -- I think it may be in part due to the Microsoft wireless transmitter & keyboard/mouse, and wireless phone all in close proximity...

I have noticed the wireless keyboard to fail when the iPhone is placed between it and the receiver! :(

My iPhone works well with my home Wifi but does NOT work with my work Wifi and I have no idea why.

Both use the same TYPE of router and both have simple passwords.

I tried it several times at work. To no avail.

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
Same thing here. Under settings it says I am connected to my home network, but only the "E" is in the menu bar. Have any of you been able to fix this? Mine seemed to have happened all of the sudden after I did a reset (hold on/off and home button down at the same time). Was working fine before I did that.

Sorthman

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2007
millerrh,

I was having this exact same problem on our wireless network at work. After reading a post on one of the forums here, I tried setting the password under "WEP hex or ASCII" instead of "WEP Password" in the wifi settings (click "other" if you don't see the option) and that fixed my problem. Now my iPhone connects to wifi and stays on wifi every time I walk in the office.

Hope that helps.

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
I actually use an unencrypted setting because I couldn't get my mac to unlock it otherwise (old Linksys router). But I thought of something that might be help to others that seemed to have worked....reboot the router.

Since my issues seemed to have been caused after I reset my iPhone, I just unplugged and plugged back in my router and it started working again...go figure.

cyberchriz

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2009
try this

this is what i did on my iphone go to setting click Wifi, if your wifi didn't appear click "other" then type the name of the wifi you want to connect. if the wifi name apper and you still didn't connect just click the renew lease under the wifi name :)

jlreycas

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
iPhone 2G can now connect to wifi

just treat it like a new iPhone. Do not try to automatically re-install your settings using backup.

i have tried two days and this is the only thing that worked.

HTH

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
you can also try resetting network settings. Seems that sometimes there's a glitch and that can fix it

kimtyson

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2008
You didn't forget that you filter for specific MAC addresses, right? Not that I ever did that before.:p

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
I found that for me the issue was resolved by changing the channel on my router.

MaxxTraxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Same problem here

It worked for a good bit and then just stopped all of a sudden.

Surely its an iPhone problem.

licapeba

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2010
<bump> Many questions on the web without solid answers re: problems connecting iPhone4 to wireless! Looking like a hardware problem?

In trying to debug the problem here I've noticed something on my iPad 3G (is that it? The top model) which has connected to our network effortlessly for a few months. Our router (Linksys WRT600N) operates on both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz. The odd thing is, when setting the iPad up I inadvertently gave it the name of the 5Ghz side of the router, which seems to be setup as a separate network in the router. Does the iPad have a 5Ghz radio in it? Whatever, it works perfectly connecting to the router!

The iPhone4 however can't find any network using that name. When I give it the name of the 2.4Ghz network on the router it obviously sees it, but reports "unable to connect" (very helpful!) on all attempts. MAC address, network name (not broadcast), WPA2 security and password, have all been quadruple-checked. Everything has been rebooted and reset more than once. I've even fiddled (and then restored) settings for the 2.4Ghz network in the router, settings such as Mixed mode vs Wireless-G only, Auto vs 20Mhz vs 40Mhz channel, and other settings. No joy.

I have NOT fiddled with turning SSID broadcast on, or with using a less-secure encryption method. Those are not options here.

Help PLEASE!! Any wild ideas are welcome!

TIA

mad-dog-one

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2009
My iPhones have never had any problem connecting to a variety of wifi networks. Have you tried your phone with a different network to determine whether the problem is your phone or your network?

Drewsky87

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
MD
802.11n broadcasts in both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, the iPad is able to pickup both of those frequencies where as the iPhone is only able to connect to the 2.4GHz frequency (Apple's tech specs say "802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only)" for the iPhone 4). The SSID shouldn't have any effect since that is just the name which is broadcasted. As for why it's still not connecting however, I'm not too sure. The phone is WPA2 compatible so it should work just fine.

thunderbunny

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Cheshire, UK
I've never been able to get my iPhones, iPod touch or iPad to connect to my home wi-fi using DHCP. Enter the required settings into the Static ip address and they're happy

LeannaG

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2010
iphone 4 won't accept password for wifi

Aha,
The iphone does not want your password...enter your network security key instead... It is case sensitive

Ronaldr

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2010
And then I could connect

I have an iPhone 3Gs. Couldn't connect all of a sudden to my own network, but could connect to others'. Eventually, and I still don't understand it, I was able to reconnect using only alphanumerics in the WiFi passwords. When I add numbers, login fails.

ThereIsNoBall

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2010
I'm having a similar problem. I can connect at home, but not at work. All settings show that I'm connected and have an IP, but wifi icon never shows and data is going through edge/3g.

Toubleshooting, I've found that it might be a conflict between OpenSSH. When I uninstall OpenSSH, it connects like a champ and I have no problems with wifi anywhere. With OpenSSH installed, I have problems at work, in some hotels, airports etc. Some work, some don't.

I searched a while ago, but didn't find a resolution. Maybe there is new info out there. If anyone knows anything, please share! :)

-TiNB

huppysingh

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2010
Iphone not connecting to home wifi

Aha,
The iphone does not want your password...enter your network security key instead... It is case sensitive

You rock my friend!.. You absolutely rock. Your solution worked perfectly for me. all the while (4 hours) i have tried every wrong way possible . You rock!

huppysingh

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2010
Iphone not connecting to home wifi

Aha,

You rock my friend!.. You absolutely rock. Your solution worked perfectly for me. All the while (4 hours) i have tried every wrong way possible ....and then I found your suggestion which worked super good for me! You rock!

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Old thread, but I have a new problem. For the first time, I set up a password to lock my home wireless. I have a linksys router.

I can connect my iPhone to the wireless network using the password, but every time I turn the phone off (using the sleep/wake) or stop using it, it goes back to 3G.

So I have to choose the network and then log back in every time I turn it back on. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Petecomp1

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
Benton City, WA
Cant connect iPhone to home wireless router

Hi, I don't know if this will work in all cases but has for me so far. You will need to (a) know how to access your home router settings page and (b) be a bit familiar with router terminology. If not, my solution will be difficult to perform - try getting a geek friend to do it. Here's what has worked for me:
First, the important settings are : 2.4GHz vs 5GHz radio frequency; radio channel number; and A, B, G, and N (or mixed) wireless mode.
My brand-new iphone refused to connect to my brand-new Linksys E2000 router until I went into the router's setup page (http://192.168.1.1 from a web page) and found the "Wireless" tab on the Cisco/Linksys configuration pages. Once at the wireless page, there you will (usually) find settings for the items listed above. Here is what fixed my problem with my iPhone 3G: 2.4GHz; Mixed B & G mode; Channel 11. This particular router has a "auto" setting for channel. It would not connect until I changed this to "11".
Hope this helps someone out. Thanks for all the fine help I get from this forum!
Petecomp1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.