Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:21 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Storing Documents Into Safari's Bookmarks

One tip can could be useful to some is a trick to encode data into a "data:" url to encode all the information into one long URL. This allows you to access the URL on your iPhone even when not internet-connected. This can work for simple web applications, or even large PDF files.

Pimm describes how he used the URI Kitchen encoder to convert a PDF to be stored into a URL.

The recommended method to get this url into your iPhone is to bookmark it in your desktop Safari and allow iTunes to sync the URL to your iPhone.

Article Link
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2007, 12:48 PM   #2
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

As every one of these little hacks come out, I simply can not wait until the iPhone matures just a bit more. Right now, it's a teenager, suitable for flipping burgers. By years end, and we have a software update to v1.1, it'll be ready for college, and by next summer, it might actually be good at performing all it's jobs, without throwing a tantrum when asked to play a song while websurfing.

People mention wanting some sort of "finder" frequently. I guess I agree - I'd like a little bin to store files and attachments, etc, but then you have to "eject" it after syncing which lots of users don't really remember to do (guilty!). It would be nice to use it as a jump drive, if you happen to carry around the USB cable.

Speaking of Mail attachments, one thing for sure is the Mail has a LONG ways to go. It's quite simple at the moment, and the fact that sent mail shows up in the inbox as unread is infuriating. How is YouTube.app more developed than Mail.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 01:16 PM   #3
Stella
macrumors 603

Too many hacks for functionality that should already exist.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 01:29 PM   #4
G4R2
macrumors 6502a

Thumbs up

This is a great workaround to the problem of storing document files on the iPhone. Thanks!
G4R2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 10:54 AM   #5
Yankees 4 Life
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Yankees 4 Life
this extenuates my desire for a ducoment manager on this phone. I need to be able to edit my papers and spreadsheets for my classes when i can't carry my laptop around...
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:38 PM   #6
areyouwishing
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to areyouwishing
More hacks...

I've got my own document storing capabilities that is server driven. At present you can...

* Upload all iPhone compatible documents via desktop browser
* List, view, and delete these documents on iPhone
* Create Memos using markdown syntax (a lot like wiki) and stored as basic text files.
* Embed any uploaded image into memos
* List, edit, and delete memos
* Search all memos

Future Enhancements
* Mulit-level hierarchy for any type of folder structure you want for any type of content.
* Getting an LDAP dump for a contacts section (you can see a demo on the link below)
* ToDos Category, Contacts Category
* PIN security to expand for multiple users, and multiple folders/categories

http://www.chaddock-ind.com/w2

The codebase for this was created by Steven from Panic. It provided the upload, and memo functionality. You can find the bare bones here: http://www.stevenf.com
areyouwishing is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion