Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mirai 11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
a few minutes ago i just changed the name of my user on the finder screen, the one with the house icon, i restart, and everything is as shown like when i first bought it, yet the size available and used is the same, but everything, and i mean everything, pictures, movies, personal information etc is gone, so it must still be there
how the hell do i get it back to the way it was before?
thanks

wyatt23

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2006
Forest Hills, NY
a few minutes ago i just changed the name of my user on the finder screen, the one with the house icon, i restart, and everything is as shown like when i first bought it, yet the size available and used is the same, but everything, and i mean everything, pictures, movies, personal information etc is gone, so it must still be there
how the hell do i get it back to the way it was before?
thanks

see if you can browse your filesystem through the terminal.

i think /Volumes/ would be a good place to look first. tho i can't be positive. i'm at work on a windows box. but if you can just 'ls' and 'cd' around for a little bit, i'm sure you'll find out where it is. once you do... give terminal a little 'pwd' and you'll be fine.

none of these commands (if you aren't familiar) will hurt your computer in anyway, so go get some hands dirty using terminal. good luck.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
I know this sounds silly, this kind of stuff isn't exactly my forte, but the first thing I would try is renaming the folder back to the original name and restarting.

Mirai 11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
when i click on macintosh HD and users, there's the user folder im on now, with the home icon, and another folder, which has ALL the files, music etc that i had before, so how do i overwrite it? or can i sumhow delete the user im on now and revert it back to how it was half an hour ago?

Mirai 11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
phew..
i just renamed it back, gave it a restart and its back to normal, my 5 seprate heart attacks just stopped lol.
i think its time to read up more about mac os 10.4 :p
thanks everyone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.