Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svenr

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2003
Hi,

I'm considering getting a used G4 MacMini and hooking it up to a 1080p projector mainly for movie watching. Why not Intel? Because I have a few old OS 9 games I like to play from time to time. There's no classic environment on the Intel Macs.

I know the Mini supports resolutions up to 1920 x 1200. But just because I can, does it mean I should? What is the performance running H.264-encoded full HD 1080p material? Does it run smoothly?

I saw the Bare Feats review here, but they don't mention video playback.

Also is there any hardware extension, anything, that would allow a dual-screen setup? That is, not mirrored, but two independent screens.

Thanks

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
I know the Mini supports resolutions up to 1920 x 1200. But just because I can, does it mean I should? What is the performance running H.264-encoded full HD 1080p material? Does it run smoothly?

I'd be suprised if a G4 would do 720p without dropping frames, much less 1080p. Apple has some system recommendations for H.264 playback. One can probably get by with a little less than the recommended minimum systems though. In my experience, the G4 Mini will handle 2D desktop work at HD resolutions, not video and 3D.

Also is there any hardware extension, anything, that would allow a dual-screen setup? That is, not mirrored, but two independent screens.

Depending on your budget/needs, Matrox' DualHead2Go might be what you're looking for. For my needs, I found it to be too expensive as well as too limited.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
I have a 1.42 GHz G4 Mini and I would say that this won't work. It has been a while since I tried H.264 1080p video (maybe the changes in QuickTime 7.2 help out), but when I tried it a LONG time ago it was unwatchable. 720p is okay if I remember right, but 1080p is too much for that system.

svenr

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2003
I think I'll rule the Mini out then.
The Matrox looks interesting though.

Thanks!

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Hey guys, I really hate to ask a question in this topic, so sorry OP, but I didn't want to make another topic for the same question..

What about the Intel Macs? I'm interested in a New Mac, the mini seems to be pretty perfect for what I want, but I have a nice 61 inch HDTV, at 1920 x 1080 resolution, is the text readable from say the couch at 10-12 feet away?

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
No way a G4 Mini can process HDTV at any decent size. I discovered the same problem with a last-rev powerbook and movie trailers. Simply can't handle it.

C2D iMac on the other hand, is absolutely fine - even at full-screen resolution.

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Hey guys, I really hate to ask a question in this topic, so sorry OP, but I didn't want to make another topic for the same question..

What about the Intel Macs? I'm interested in a New Mac, the mini seems to be pretty perfect for what I want, but I have a nice 61 inch HDTV, at 1920 x 1080 resolution, is the text readable from say the couch at 10-12 feet away?

My intel Mini reads fine at 10 feet from my couch on a 42" sony wega. But it is hooked up through the vga input. I am not at my home right now, and I cant remember the resolution setting right now, it's been at least a year since I adjusted it. You always have ctrl+scroll to magnify though :)

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
My intel Mini reads fine at 10 feet from my couch on a 42" sony wega. But it is hooked up through the vga input. I am not at my home right now, and I cant remember the resolution setting right now, it's been at least a year since I adjusted it. You always have ctrl+scroll to magnify though :)

Ok that's awesome, thanks!

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
1080p minimum requirements

I think you need either a Dual 2GHz G5, or a 1.66GHz Intel Mac Mini as the minimum requirements for 1080p within Quicktime.

F

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.