Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jul 19, 2007, 06:16 AM   #1
oldimacg3owner
macrumors newbie

Red face upgrading old imac g3/500 graphite to go online

I have an old imac G3 /500 mhz graphite from my old work sitting around just for my little one to play cd games. I use PC now to do my emailing and net-surfing, but gotta admit I used to love this machine, and though it's old it still looks cool.
I didn't get around to connet it to go on-line, because of compatibility problem with PC(main cable modem is connected to a PC) but now thinking about upgrading it to go on-line for my kids to use. It has OS 9.0.4, 128MB of RAM with speed of 500 mhz w/front slot loading. I'm not computer savvy and don't know much about it, but was told before that system has to be upgraded to OS 9.1 or later first, in order for wireless card to be installed. Can anyone help me with exactly what I need to go on-line with this imac?
Since it's going to be mainly for my kids, I do not plan to purchase any additional application software, but willing to spend some to upgrade system, memory, and on wireless card. I'm thinking I might not even need newest system as long as it can go on-line, but which OS system(or should go higher?) would make more sense? How much more memory?Is it really possible to install a wireless card on this machine? Would there be a problem because main cable is connected to a PC in which wireless router is installed(for another window laptop)? Or is it even worth trying?
Appreciate any advice you computer genius out there could give me!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by oldimacg3owner; Jul 19, 2007 at 06:29 AM.
oldimacg3owner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 07:48 AM   #2
CRAZYBUBBA
macrumors 65816

Hi. I have a g3 350mhz. It went online via ethernet when it was on 9.04. iMac stands for internet mac so really any model should go online. I'd reccommend making the free upgrade to 9.2.2.

If you're using dial up, I think it would take more work, but if I remember correctly, os9 has an internet utility of some sort to help you out. And of course you should install your isp's program on the computer.
CRAZYBUBBA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 03:14 AM   #3
Cosmoza
macrumors member

Looks that your iMac is capable to run latest OSX 10.4, so you can upgrade to it quite easily but first get some more RAM. SDRAM PC100 is easily to be found and reasonable prices even. Ask some friends first, they might have old memory modules they don't need. OS X likes memory, so adding as much (1Gb is max. limit = two 512mb modules) is a must. OSX 10.3.9 is limit for lots of software, so 10.3 is option as well if you can have the discs cheaply as well.

On my G3 350Mhz 10.4 runs 22% faster than 10.3.

Things are so much easiler with OSX 10.3 or 10.4 compared to ancient OS 9.

Wireless airport card for G3's are available, take a look of ebay.
Cosmoza is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 06:09 AM   #4
oldimacg3owner
macrumors newbie

Thank you for your advice

D:CRAZYBUBBA,
Thanks! Yes, I was able to go online, however, was not able to download
free system upgrade to OS9.2.2 due to previously installed language kit in my imac...it said I need to download from CD. Tried turning off extensions, and even tried deleting all language kit stuff in it, but still didn't work... What is isp?

D:Cosmoza,
Thank for your advice also! It sounds worthwhile to upgrade all the way to OSX, however as I mentioned earlier, I was not able to download free system upgrade to OS9.2.2. I assume it needs to be upgraded in steps, not skip directly to OSX. I guess I need to see if CD upgrade to OS9.2.2 is available for purchase out there and take it from there.
oldimacg3owner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 02:09 PM   #5
CRAZYBUBBA
macrumors 65816

If you're using dialup you'll need a dsk from your Internet service provder (Ie AOL). Anyway, if you have acess to the internet use your imac to download the needed upgrades from here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75288

That will bring you up to 9.2.2 and ready for os x.

Note: Do not use another computer to download the upgrades. I tried using my 12" PB to download them and my iMac would only recognize and mount upgrades that it had downloaded itself.

[QUOTE=oldimacg3owner;3951002]D:CRAZYBUBBA,
Thanks! Yes, I was able to go online, however, was not able to download
free system upgrade to OS9.2.2 due to previously installed language kit in my imac...it said I need to download from CD. Tried turning off extensions, and even tried deleting all language kit stuff in it, but still didn't work... What is isp?
CRAZYBUBBA is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs