Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kinetik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
I can't remember the post where I originally saw this, but doing the following seems to have fixed my lockup and stuttering issues on my 2.2ghz Santa Rosa Mac Book Pro:

+ all shaders off
+ distance to just-under halfway
+ 1x sampling
+ AF to the lowest setting
+ vertical sync off
+ full screen glow off

Now I'm getting ridiculously good framerates (up to 150 inside! around 30-50 outside), with rarely any stutter (practically zero) when spinning the camera or rotating in place.

Also, it seemed to perform better by NOT using /console maxfps to limit the framerate. It was as if having the larger FPS pool allowed WoW's framerate dips to not fall into a noticeable range. (for example, a dip from a maxed 30 FPS cap to 10 is much more noticeable than a dip from 80 to 30) The obvious upside of not limiting the FPS is smoother gameplay. (I had previously tried this to limit heating which I thought was my problem)

Crossing my fingers that these settings really did fix it, but I played for several hours with no issues. In the past, I couldn't get through an hour without a lockup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.