Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jul 19, 2007, 07:13 PM   #1
luckydawg
macrumors newbie

iBook will not wake up

Several days ago, I went to dinner and left my 2 year old Ibook on. It went to sleep of course and later, when I returned, it would not wake up so I shut it down. When I attempted to restart it, I got a blinking folder displaying a question mark. When I try to boot from the system disk, the drive spins up but I get a screen that seems to have a lot of Unix commands, kernals etc. superimposed over a dialogue box that suggests pressing the restart button. I have rebooted the PRAM, the PMU and tried to run the hardware check but the unit will not boot from the system disk (10.4.10), so I can't do anything. I have used Macs since 1984 and this has me stumped. I even tried to access the hard drive using the target disk mode with no luck. It will start and display the moving target but the drive never appears on the second computer.
luckydawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 07:17 PM   #2
Royale w/cheese
macrumors 6502a

Have you tried booting from the install disks? This sounds like something that happened to me a few years ago, I ended up having to reinstall OSX.
Royale w/cheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 07:19 PM   #3
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

When you say "system disks", do you mean the install/restore discs? Also, have you had any strange power surges or blackouts recently? The fact Target Disk Mode and (by the sounds of things) booting from the CDs doesn't work is a bit of a worry.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 07:52 PM   #4
statikcat
macrumors 6502

All Macs are horrible at "waking up". However, mine always boot back after a power down
statikcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 04:54 AM   #5
luckydawg
macrumors newbie

Ibook not waking up

I have tried all the suggestions and nothing works.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:03 AM   #6
Sawtoothdude
macrumors regular

Is this a Dual USB or a Clamshell, I used to have problems with a Clamshell and Removing the Battery and reseting the PMU and PRAM solved it, However i haven't Used a Dual USB, you can try without a Battery but i don't know, It sounds a little more serious that that.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:06 AM   #7
barr08
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post
Several days ago, I went to dinner and left my 2 year old Ibook on. It went to sleep of course and later, when I returned, it would not wake up so I shut it down. When I attempted to restart it, I got a blinking folder displaying a question mark. When I try to boot from the system disk, the drive spins up but I get a screen that seems to have a lot of Unix commands, kernals etc. superimposed over a dialogue box that suggests pressing the restart button. I have rebooted the PRAM, the PMU and tried to run the hardware check but the unit will not boot from the system disk (10.4.10), so I can't do anything. I have used Macs since 1984 and this has me stumped. I even tried to access the hard drive using the target disk mode with no luck. It will start and display the moving target but the drive never appears on the second computer.
What you have there is a kernal panic. If a restart doesn't fix it, its time to bring it to a genius. You still covered?
Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:11 PM   #8
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post
I have tried all the suggestions and nothing works.

Mate, help us out by answering some of our questions so we can know more about your situation and then hopefully be able to offer more suggestions.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 05:05 PM   #9
luckydawg
macrumors newbie

Ibook not waking up

Thanks for everyone's input. I finally located someone in Halifax NS, who had a set of diagnostic disks and the hard drive is toast. The hard drive doesn't show up when trying Disk First Aid off of a Disk Warrior disk. So, I had to buy a new Macbook and when I get back to Florida, I'll fight with Apple--the Ibook is less than two years old and has never had a problem.
Have a great day
Old Jul 23, 2007, 06:11 PM   #10
Jason S.
macrumors 6502a

Yes, the folder icon you're speaking of indicates a hard drive failure, I believe.
Jason S. is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs