Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-kritter-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2007
Idaho
well i finally installed the newest quicktime and itunes update, and upon restarting my macbook hung at the apple logo screen, then entered into a blackscreen with white text, i dont know if the update caused this or not, my 3rd party hitachi drive has also began to chatter louder then normal and i assumed it was on its way out. but i took the drive out and am now using my cloned backup drive, the hitachi drives SMART status was verified yet it still chattered and clicked rather loudly, louder then the drive already did in the first place, im planning on sending it back to hitachi seeing as that it is of course still under warranty, but i just wanted to know weather the software update was the cause of this or my assumed failing harddrive?
thanks

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Erm, it's usually a good idea to disconnect all peripherals from your Mac before running a system update. Having said that, I can't be sure that was the cause of the problem. What makes you think a drive is failing? Is it clicking? Is it failing any disk checks?

Also, can you know boot normally into your Mac through the internal drive? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.