Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster

Attachments

• linksys.jpg
    linksys.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 785

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-Rezet

In a word: yes.

In a second word: absolutely.

The "Plug and Play" referrs to the card when popped into a PC.

You don't need the entire kit, save a few pennies and get just the router (I assume you have an AirPort card for your Mac)

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-Rezet

In a word: yes.

In a second word: absolutely.

The "Plug and Play" referrs to the card when popped into a PC.

You don't need the entire kit, save a few pennies and get just the router (I assume you have an AirPort card for your Mac)

Patrick, No not yet, I don't have Airport Card yet.
I was concerned because it doesn't say it's mac compatabale on the box nor in the manual. And it doesn't say that on the website either. So you are sure that router would work?
But would the card work also? Or I would need air port card?

See, for example this Belkin wireless router, says right on the website it supports Mac. Maybe I should get that one?

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-10265&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_4&oid=73700

But this one got the highest rating:

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-10265&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_16&oid=62879

What should I do? I just got that linksys router w/o the card? Am I good to go?

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by Rezet
What should I do? I just got that linksys router w/o the card? Am I good to go?

-Rezet

This is a router that communicates on the wireless standard 802.11b (WiFi). The original AirPort communicates with this protocol.

That's really all you need to know if it will work or not. Any machine, Mac or PC, or Palm that has an 802.11b (or 802.11g) tranceiver will work with this router.

However, it sounds like you need a tranceiver for your Mac. I suggest you get an AirPort card as it will not occupy a PC slot - or even be visible outside of the box.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
-Rezet

This is a router that communicates on the wireless standard 802.11b (WiFi). The original AirPort communicates with this protocol.

That's really all you need to know if it will work or not. Any machine, Mac or PC, or Palm that has an 802.11b (or 802.11g) tranceiver will work with this router.

However, it sounds like you need a tranceiver for your Mac. I suggest you get an AirPort card as it will not occupy a PC slot - or even be visible outside of the box.

Well, this is meant for my new 15" Pbook. So ok, I'll get airport card for it. Thanx Patrick.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
It will work, I am using the same one to network my Powerbook with 2 XP desktops and an XP laptop at home. The box doesn't mention being compatible with the Mac, and they won't help you if you call for tech support, but I assure you that it is quite easy to configure and works perfectly fine for a Mac.

garzy

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2002
Yes, it will work, but linksys does not provide supprt for the mac os. They will not gove out technical support and you cannot update firmware for the router with a mac. Youll need a pc.

I have a D Link wireless router, and it works great, and they provide mac support for most of their products. Check their website to make sure.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by garzy
Yes, it will work, but linksys does not provide supprt for the mac os. They will not gove out technical support and you cannot update firmware for the router with a mac. Youll need a pc.

I have a D Link wireless router, and it works great, and they provide mac support for most of their products. Check their website to make sure.
not true, you can update the router via the web utility and uploading the bin file. but without the setup cd, setting up the router to begin with can be a pain. but be prepared you have the most easily accessed wireless router for war drivers in your home.

iJon

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Originally posted by iJon
not true, you can update the router via the web utility and uploading the bin file. but without the setup cd, setting up the router to begin with can be a pain. but be prepared you have the most easily accessed wireless router for war drivers in your home.

iJon

"but be prepared you have the most easily accessed wireless router for war drivers in your home."

What do u mean by that?

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
"but be prepared you have the most easily accessed wireless router for war drivers in your home."

What do u mean by that?

-Rezet

Ah, guys sitting outside your home with a laptop mooching (or worse) your router for themselves. Stealing your service in effect.

I recommend when you get this thing, activate the WEP (passwording to gain access to the WLAN) and lock down the MAC addresses of your wireless devices.

A MAC address is an industry acronym for Media Access Control (not an Apple thing at all). A fancy word for the physical hardware address number hardwired into any networking device. An Airport-enabled Mac will have two devices and two MAC addresses, one for the Airport, and the other for the ethernet card. These cannot be changed. Even the router will have such an address.

Locking access control down is simply a list stored in your router of all of the MAC addresses of all of the wireless devices you will allow to gain access to the router - tough as hell to crack.

In OS X, you can find the MAC address of the AirPort card in the "Network" pref in the "System Preferences" under the "Airport" tab. Write it down, and enter it (case sensitive) into the Access Control List in your new Router.

Do all of this the moment you get the machine, and configure it through the wire - NOT through the air.

When you have all of your equipment, let us know and we can help you further.

BTW- Someong tried to hack my AirPort Extreme last night for this purpose. But wasn't successful :D I guess he got frustrated (you see, you can't even get the router to ask you for your WEP password if you don't have the right MAC address), so he spiked it. Made the base reset itelf.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Why do you even need to ask? If the Linksys doesn't work (which it will ;)), then you can just exchange it for the Belkin. The belkin says on the box that it's Mac compatible, so it probably will if the Linksys fails. Or better yet, just go for the Belkin first, since it's much cheaper. However, the performance on the Belkin may not be as good as on the Linksys.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
-Rezet

Ah, guys sitting outside your home with a laptop mooching (or worse) your router for themselves. Stealing your service in effect.

I recommend when you get this thing, activate the WEP (passwording to gain access to the WLAN) and lock down the MAC addresses of your wireless devices.

A MAC address is an industry acronym for Media Access Control (not an Apple thing at all). A fancy word for the physical hardware address number hardwired into any networking device. An Airport-enabled Mac will have two devices and two MAC addresses, one for the Airport, and the other for the ethernet card. These cannot be changed. Even the router will have such an address.

Locking access control down is simply a list stored in your router of all of the MAC addresses of all of the wireless devices you will allow to gain access to the router - tough as hell to crack.

In OS X, you can find the MAC address of the AirPort card in the "Network" pref in the "System Preferences" under the "Airport" tab. Write it down, and enter it (case sensitive) into the Access Control List in your new Router.

Do all of this the moment you get the machine, and configure it through the wire - NOT through the air.

When you have all of your equipment, let us know and we can help you further.

BTW- Someong tried to hack my AirPort Extreme last night for this purpose. But wasn't successful :D I guess he got frustrated (you see, you can't even get the router to ask you for your WEP password if you don't have the right MAC address), so he spiked it. Made the base reset itelf.

Well, currently it is hooked up to my old pc desktop.
It's possible to set up the password when you set the thing up, would that do it for now? I dont know much about networking.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Well, currently it is hooked up to my old pc desktop.
It's possible to set up the password when you set the thing up, would that do it for now? I dont know much about networking.

-Rezet

Did I miss a chapter? You already have this router?

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
-Rezet

Did I miss a chapter? You already have this router?

YES, I typed before: "What should I do? I just got that linksys router w/o the card? Am I good to go?"

I mean it's no problem, circuit city is like 6 mins away from my house, i can just go and get another router that is easier to set up and more secure for mac.
IS D LINK better? and easier to set up? I can get that.

http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=2

DI-713P or DI-714P+ should do it right? BTW whats the difference between them?

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
YES, I typed before: "What should I do? I just got that linksys router w/o the card? Am I good to go?"

I mean it's no problem, circuit city is like 6 mins away from my house, i can just go and get another router that is easier to set up and more secure for mac.
IS D LINK better? and easier to set up? I can get that.

http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=2

DI-713P or DI-714P+ should do it right? BTW whats the difference between them?

-Rezet

Yes, I did miss that chapter I guess :D

Naah. The LinkSys is a venerable box, one of the best, I'd say stick with it.

Just get the AirPort card and you're good to go - in your own words.

1. Activate the WEP password.

2. I strongly recommend you configure the Access Control as well - but you can't do that without the AirPort card and it's MAC.

Until you do get the card, poke around in the Admin of the router and locate the Access Control list. Once you get the AirPort card, entering its MAC into the list should be no problem.

KershMan

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2003
VA, USA
Also turn SSID broadcast off. This will force you to enter the EXACT name of the network to connect. If you do all three things (MAC access control, WEP password, and SSID broadcast disable) you have done all you can. However, that does not preclude someone who really, really wants to break in :) It will keep casual sniffers from getting into your network, but someone with a real RF collector can find the router and if really proned to could break in.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i reccomend setting up the router from your pc first with the setup cd, it will save you much time. thats what i did when i got my linksys router and it was great, had such wonderful range. its just when i got my 12 inch powerbook with 802.11g it didnt like my linksys router, i think father down the road the problems got fixed, but i ended up buying an aiport extreme base station and couldnt be happier.

iJon

jadariv

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2002
Now, i have one of these linksys routers which i use with my powerbook.

So, i should do all these settings so someone walking by my house with a laptop won't be able to log onto my network?

Are these things that powerful? I mean, i can't get a signal in the front living room, let alone from outside the house.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by jadariv
Now, i have one of these linksys routers which i use with my powerbook.

So, i should do all these settings so someone walking by my house with a laptop won't be able to log onto my network?

Are these things that powerful? I mean, i can't get a signal in the front living room, let alone from outside the house.
hmm, thats odd. with my linksys router i was able to go clear out in my back yard, about 300+ feet.

iJon

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Re: Would This Wireless Router Work For Mac?

Hey, I was wondering if LINKSYS wireless rputer would work for mac. I couldn't find anything about this on the box or manual. But they advertise it as "plug and play" type of device.

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_0&oid=73715&catoid=-10265
I have set up about 3 different networks that use Linksys wireless routers + have never had a problem (with a mixture of PC's and Macs on network). Go for it.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Lets say if I have a NETGEAR router. Can I still get LINKSYS network bridge? Or it has to be the same company, and how would I set it up? I don't understand how to set up network bridges if there is no computer hooked up to it. I mean, does it find connection automatically? So basically, since i live in an apartment, any of my neighbors can get that bridge and use my connection?

You see, here is what I need.

I want to hook up 1 Desktop PC, 1 Mac Laptop, 1 PS2 and 1 XBOX.

SO, I'm gonan set up NETGEAR or LINKSYS or D-LINK router next to desktop PC, it will transmit the signal to Mac laptop with air port card built in. correct?
Then I get a bridge thingy and plug it in another room and hook up to xbox and ps2. But how do i configure it so the connection still remains safe, yet i can conenct with consoles - no problem?

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
I mean, does it find connection automatically?

The Mac will - by default - called "Best Signal" setting. You can change this setting though to "Most Recent", or even "Specific". You can embed the password in the "Specific" setting.

So basically, since i live in an apartment, any of my neighbors can get that bridge and use my connection?

Yes. Ergo the WEP and MAC Access Control discussion.

SO, I'm gonan set up NETGEAR or LINKSYS or D-LINK router next to desktop PC, it will transmit the signal to Mac laptop with air port card built in. correct?

Ayep, and again, the default setting is for the Mac to find the Access Point/Router/Base Station automatically.

Then I get a bridge thingy and plug it in another room and hook up to xbox and ps2. But how do i configure it so the connection still remains safe, yet i can conenct with consoles - no problem?

Should be - again use the Access Control list.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
OK, so it shouldnt be a problem if i use NETgear router and connect it to linksys bridge?
Ok, i'll try and see what i get out of this. I really prefer not to deal with numbers and settings too much. I'd much rather get it configured automatically.

So, does anyone know if this router has a autoinstall cd with it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...91958-5100040?v=glance&s=electronics&n=172282

But im concerned about security thingy as well. So, as soon as i get my pbook up online, i'll try to contact you patrick if it's ok with you. You'll help me with the network settings, if u dont mind, cuz i dont know anything about networking and security. :(

Maybe you could tell me your AIM, or Yahoo screenname, and i'll message you.

Thanx

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Ok, i'll try and see what i get out of this. I really prefer not to deal with numbers and settings too much. I'd much rather get it configured automatically...

...So, as soon as i get my pbook up online, i'll try to contact you patrick if it's ok with you...

Maybe you could tell me your AIM, or Yahoo screenname, and i'll message you.

-Rezet

That's a good start then. As for yahoo, check my profile on the button below!

Do me a favor though, come to the YIM armed with the knowledge of where your Access Control List is in the Admin of the router - I can't shadow you as I have different equiment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.