Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jul 24, 2003, 06:51 PM   #1
toontra
macrumors regular

Campbell going to resign!

It appears Alistair Campbell, who many think did Blair's bidding over the intelligence reports leading up to war, is strongly rumored to have told Blair that he will resign when his name is cleared of wrongdoing.

Spinning to the last! Surely he couldn't be attempting to pre-empt a messy end by saying if it all goes wrong,"Hey, I'd told you I was going to resign all along!" Judicial enquiries, such as the one soon underway, are hardly ever able to be positively black or white. All he will be hoping for is a slight gray area which he can attempt to use to clear his tattered reputation, thus boosting his ratings in the job market.

Things are falling apart for Blair in a huge way now; he now has very few (if any) of his inner circle of advisors who have guided his career over the past ten years (way before coming PM) left. Geoff Hoon (Defence Secretary) in being increasingly distanced by Blair over the death of the weapons expert, and looks likely to be forced to carry the can over that tawdry episode.

Blair's ratings are plummeting according to the most recent polls. All I can say, once again, is good riddance - you go against the will of your people at huge risk.

Last edited by toontra; Jul 24, 2003 at 07:43 PM.
toontra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 07:21 PM   #2
zimv20
macrumors 601

wow.

well, cnn.com doesn't have the story, but they are carrying this as one of the top stories: "'Friends' star to be in spin-off"

Old Jul 24, 2003, 07:39 PM   #3
toontra
macrumors regular

Here's a LINK to what the BBC is saying on this at the moment.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 08:31 PM   #4
pivo6
macrumors 68000

When does Blair have to call elections? I ask because I think that he will step down right before then. He may not want to step down, but ultimately will for the good of the party.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 10:13 PM   #5
Flowbee
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally posted by zimv20
wow.

well, cnn.com doesn't have the story, but they are carrying this as one of the top stories: "'Friends' star to be in spin-off"

American (television) news is so frustrationg! When I tune in to the BBC, I'm amazed at all the news happening around the world that we hear nothing about.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:04 PM   #6
SPG
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by Flowbee
American (television) news is so frustrationg! When I tune in to the BBC, I'm amazed at all the news happening around the world that we hear nothing about.
Yeah, I totally agree. I ditched cable a couple months ago and the only thing I miss is Comedy Central. Luckily we get BBC over the air on PBS at night.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 03:09 AM   #7
toontra
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by pivo6
When does Blair have to call elections? I ask because I think that he will step down right before then. He may not want to step down, but ultimately will for the good of the party.
Elections in 2 years. I agree - I think he'll stand down before then (if he wants his party to win), unless anything is made to stick over his involvement with the doctoring of intelligence before then.

Flowbee/SPG
IMO the BBC has done a remarkable job throughout this past six months. Because the government has such a huge majority, and the leader of the main opposition party is an ineffectual cretin, the BBC has effectively taken the role of the opposition. Without them following up every scent of wrongdoing and daring to question the government's position, despite knowing that such an stance may well jeopardize their license as a public-service broadcasted, many of these stories wouldn't have seen the light of day. Good on them, I say.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues