Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jul 21, 2007, 12:52 AM   #1
btcomm
macrumors regular

Power mac g3 question.

Ok, I don't really care to even continue using this computer, the video went out on it, how do I phyically open this computer up? Is there a way without breaking it?
btcomm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 12:57 AM   #2
aquajet
macrumors 68020

Which G3 is it? Beige desktop, beige mini tower, or blue and white?
aquajet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 12:58 AM   #3
btcomm
macrumors regular

beige desktop.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tosh_G3_DT.jpg

Last edited by btcomm; Jul 21, 2007 at 01:05 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 01:10 AM   #4
aquajet
macrumors 68020

Underneath the front bezel, push up on the two small tabs at either end and pull the case with a quick jerk towards you. After you remove the top cover, with the front of the computer facing you, pull up on the plastic cover on the left side of the chassis. This plastic cover is on a hinge and will open towards the left. You will then see two plastic lock mechanisms on the side of the metal platform with the power supply and floppy drive -- they sort of look like a switch. Slide these locking mechanisms towards the center of the chassis and pull up on the platform. It is also on hinges and will open towards the right. At this point, you'll see the logic board and hard drive on the bottom of the case.

It uses an ATA/33 hard drive.
Attached Images

aquajet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 01:47 AM   #5
btcomm
macrumors regular

Awesome. Thank you. Ok now for my next question, I put the HD into a usb adapter and the HD shows up phyically but a drive letter is not showing up. I know by default you cannot read the partition with windows but should it at least create a new drive letter? Would macdrive work? Would it work on whatever format os 8.6 used?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs