Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 21, 2007, 05:40 PM   #1
MeekB2G
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to MeekB2G Send a message via MSN to MeekB2G Send a message via Yahoo to MeekB2G
Thumbs up iPhone w/ Brush Metal Trim

I was one of the unlucky people that purchase the 'Incase' for my iPhone & the metal trim got all scratched due to lint etc. Since I was tired of looking @ the scratches I decided to give my iPhone a brushed metal look instead of leaving it with the scratched chrome. Check out my before & after pics ad let me know what you think. I did one side first then took pics. I'm actually working on the apple symbol on that back right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1519.JPG
Views:	3479
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	80058   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1518.JPG
Views:	5583
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	80059  
Old Jul 21, 2007, 05:45 PM   #2
lilnyc
macrumors 6502a

Very niiice

I take my Belkin clear case off once a week to clean the iPhone, but it looks like mine is also scratched on the sides

What did you use to give it the brushed metal look?
lilnyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 05:47 PM   #3
ITASOR
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to ITASOR
Looks good! I would be scared it's going to corrode or something if you rubbed a coating off.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 05:48 PM   #4
iBookG4user
macrumors 604

Send a message via MSN to iBookG4user
That looks pretty good, don't think I'd do it to my iPhone though. Nice job though.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 05:50 PM   #5
UMHurricanes34
macrumors 65816

I love it, how'd you do it?

Think Different.
Mac Pro l MacBook Pro l Air
iPhone 5 l iPad 2
UMHurricanes34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 06:09 PM   #6
MeekB2G
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to MeekB2G Send a message via MSN to MeekB2G Send a message via Yahoo to MeekB2G
I used a scotch-brite sponge (rough side) and electric tape to cover the edges of the screen & backing. Took me about 30 min. to do the entire trim. If you plane to do it take your time & be careful. Good Luck to those who are willing to give it a try.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 06:16 PM   #7
swordfish5736
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to swordfish5736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeekB2G View Post
I used a scotch-brite sponge (rough side) and electric tape to cover the edges of the screen & backing. Took me about 30 min. to do the entire trim. If you plane to do it take your time & be careful. Good Luck to those who are willing to give it a try.

did you take any pics of the process? I want to do something like this
swordfish5736 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 06:30 PM   #8
MeekB2G
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIIM44 View Post
did you take any pics of the process? I want to do something like this
Sorry,but i didn't. I should have takin pictures step by step but i didn't think about it at the time. I will put somthing together right now to give you a basic idea on how i did it.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 06:45 PM   #9
lilnyc
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Hmm. I don't think I'm confident enough to give it a try, but your thread brought my attention to the damage that can happen with the wrong case, so I changed cases today. Thanks!
Old Jul 21, 2007, 06:45 PM   #10
speedballs
macrumors member

That actually looks fantastic.
A how-to would be very nice.
speedballs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 06:52 PM   #11
jecapaga
macrumors 601

very nice

wow that looks pretty nice. post some more pics please. so is the bezel actually metal of some sort all the way through or is it plastic with a chrome coating? I would be worried about scratching too deeply and taking the finish completely off.
jecapaga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 06:55 PM   #12
Daremo
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Daremo Send a message via Skype™ to Daremo
I like the look of that better then the chrome actually. Nice job! Now I know what I will do when my chrome scratches up!
Daremo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 07:09 PM   #13
puckhead193
macrumors G3

which case is this that causes it to scratch?
128GB iPhone 6+, 64 GB iPad 3
puckhead193 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 07:15 PM   #14
lilnyc
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead193 View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, and I hate to blame a case, but I've used this one :

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=374513

I carefully cleaned it before snapping it onto my iPhone, and I have taken real good care of my phone (I haven't tossed it into random cluttered bags/pockets). But after reading this thread, I removed it and sure enough, I also have scratches. I'm going with my DLO Hip Case

http://dlo.com/store/MiniStoreiPhone...showpage&cart=
Old Jul 21, 2007, 07:36 PM   #15
MeekB2G
macrumors newbie

OK, I'm not very good and creating How-To's but I'm gonna try anyway. I've already finished the job but I did the process over to show you how I started and how I taped over the screen and back to do this.

Supplies: Electric Tape, Scotch Brite Sponge & (of course) an iPhone

1st: you want to use the electric tape and cover the edge of the screen as close as possible the chrome trim. Repeat for the back also..

2nd: use the Scotch Brite sponge and lightly rub one way & reverse.. Ex. Whichever side you start on first (I did one side @ a time) you want the sponge to meet the two corners. Keep going back n' forth till you get the look you want..

3rd: Because of the tape the corners we're probly covered like mine and you still have a chrome finish on them. This is were you have to be very careful and take your time. Cause you will have to do this freehand unless you have a way to cover the edge of your screen to brush the rest of the chrome. Once you've accomplished that your done.

The pics attached I have tape on the longside of the phone. You would repeat that same tape scheme on the top and bottom of the phone.

This isn't the best of tutorials cause I suck @ these types of things. Feel free to ask me any questions that you may have if you want to try this. Goodluck!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tools.JPG
Views:	2854
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	80061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen.JPG
Views:	2692
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	80062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Backing.JPG
Views:	3072
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	80063  

Name:	Finish.JPG
Views:	3823
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	80064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finish1.JPG
Views:	4878
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	80065  
Old Jul 21, 2007, 07:41 PM   #16
MeekB2G
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead193 View Post
I was using the Rubber Incase.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nplm=TN563LL/A
Old Jul 21, 2007, 07:55 PM   #17
Maui19
macrumors regular

Quote:
I love that case. I have the black one and it makes the phone look really good. Personally, I don't care what happens to the chrome underneath since I keep the case on all the time.
Maui19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 09:36 PM   #18
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
OK, I'm not very good and creating How-To's but I'm gonna try anyway.
Your instructions are very good. And the finish looks a LOT more costly and posh than the chrome.

Wonder if it needs a clear coat, though? Any experts on the topic?
kdarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 09:46 PM   #19
MeekB2G
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
Your instructions are very good. And the finish looks a LOT more costly and posh than the chrome.

Wonder if it needs a clear coat, though? Any experts on the topic?
Clear coats would be pretty nice. I will have to look into that. Thanks for the idea 'kdarling'
Old Jul 21, 2007, 09:57 PM   #20
dominatrix
macrumors member

would be nice a video on youtube..
dominatrix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 10:13 PM   #21
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

You have nice hands. No I'm kidding...well I am not but anyway...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominatrix View Post
would be nice a video on youtube..
LMFAO I'm sorry but this just really made me laugh! Hey while you're at it, can you go ahead and give me a step by step process of the purchase of the tape and the scrubber? Did you use the whole scrubber or just a corner? What corner specifically gave you the best results?

I think it looks great and it is a nice alternative to the f'ed up job the damn case seems to do.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:50 AM   #22
ninethirty
macrumors 6502

Can we see any pics of the phone dead on to see what it looks like from the front? I'm very tempted to do this but I'm posiitive I'll screw it up... also, using the electrical tape on the screen and back of the phone did not leave any sticky residue? I'm just so scared to damage the screen but my chrome also has a lot of scratches on it and personally I think the chrome was an awful design decision...

Quote:
OK, I'm not very good and creating How-To's but I'm gonna try anyway. I've already finished the job but I did the process over to show you how I started and how I taped over the screen and back to do this.

Supplies: Electric Tape, Scotch Brite Sponge & (of course) an iPhone

1st: you want to use the electric tape and cover the edge of the screen as close as possible the chrome trim. Repeat for the back also..

2nd: use the Scotch Brite sponge and lightly rub one way & reverse.. Ex. Whichever side you start on first (I did one side @ a time) you want the sponge to meet the two corners. Keep going back n' forth till you get the look you want..

3rd: Because of the tape the corners we're probly covered like mine and you still have a chrome finish on them. This is were you have to be very careful and take your time. Cause you will have to do this freehand unless you have a way to cover the edge of your screen to brush the rest of the chrome. Once you've accomplished that your done.

The pics attached I have tape on the longside of the phone. You would repeat that same tape scheme on the top and bottom of the phone.

This isn't the best of tutorials cause I suck @ these types of things. Feel free to ask me any questions that you may have if you want to try this. Goodluck!
ninethirty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2007, 12:10 PM   #23
MattyMac
macrumors 68000

Looks very good...however, I would never do that to my iPhone. I like to keep everything original, especially with apple products and their remarkable resale value.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 12:35 PM   #24
MeekB2G
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninethirty View Post
Can we see any pics of the phone dead on to see what it looks like from the front? I'm very tempted to do this but I'm posiitive I'll screw it up... also, using the electrical tape on the screen and back of the phone did not leave any sticky residue? I'm just so scared to damage the screen but my chrome also has a lot of scratches on it and personally I think the chrome was an awful design decision...
Here are pictures of the front, back, top and bottom close-up so you can get a better look. I also have a screen protector on their that is actually coming off. (Thats what the bubble is on the top left of the screen) The electric tape didn't leave any residue what so ever, but it did take off my screen protector when I was taking it off. No worries though i'll just go buy another one. I'm sure you'll be OK, just take your time and don't rush yourself.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Front.JPG
Views:	1724
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	80136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back.JPG
Views:	1445
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	80137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top.JPG
Views:	1891
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	80138  

Name:	Bottom.JPG
Views:	2303
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	80139  
Old Jul 22, 2007, 02:57 PM   #25
lilnyc
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMac View Post
Looks very good...however, I would never do that to my iPhone. I like to keep everything original, especially with apple products and their remarkable resale value.
I'd think it has more re-sale value with his finish than with scratches though, no?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone