Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jul 21, 2007, 06:35 PM   #1
BGSM
macrumors newbie

PowerBook 1400cs/166 Don't Know Logon Password, Please Help!

Hi everyone!

I recently purchased a MacBook 1400cs/166 from a tip shop, but when I boot it, it asks for a password. There's a hint box and address box, so I rang the previous owner up - but the number was disconnected.

My father owns the same old MacBook (but it's just a 1400cs) and his doesn't have a password. I've put in an OS9 install CD and held down 'C', and it doesn't work. I've been able to boot it off my fathers 'Disk Tools' floppy, but there's only 'Disk First Aid' and another useless thing.

How do I go about getting past this password? I don't mind having to format the disk, as I don't know what's on it.

The OS9 CD I've got is 9.1, is it possible to install that on it?

Thanks, awaiting your replies!
BGSM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 07:54 PM   #2
BGSM
macrumors newbie

Some more information. My fathers laptop actually does have a password protection option.

Any replies are welcome!
Old Jul 22, 2007, 02:37 AM   #3
spinne1
macrumors 6502a

Most likely the reason the OS 9 CD doesn't work is because the computer does not have enough ram to run it. The 1400 needs to be maxed out at 64mb of ram to run OS 9. So, either upgrade the ram to 64mb or buy an OS 7 or 8 disc off ebay. Once you get either, boot from the CD by holding down C like you've tried and then reformat the hard drive using Drive Utility or whatever it was called under OS 7-9.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 02:41 AM   #4
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

You wouldn't happen to have one of those funky PowerBook SCSI cables to try target mode, would you?
iMeowbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2007, 03:31 AM   #5
BGSM
macrumors newbie

Nope, don't have a SCSI cable. I could try reinstalling everything over the top, from downloading the free 19 7.5.3 disks off the net.

I have got into contact with the real estate agent selling the house that the laptops owner used to live in, and she'll give me a ring back if she finds out the cats name.

I'll report back in a few days time to tell you how it goes!

Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 02:10 AM   #6
BGSM
macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, got the password - it was Tigger.

It all works, got OS 8.6 on it.

Does anyone know how to link it up to my PC and transfer a few files over?
Old Jul 25, 2007, 04:11 AM   #7
spinne1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSM View Post
Hi everyone, got the password - it was Tigger.

It all works, got OS 8.6 on it.

Does anyone know how to link it up to my PC and transfer a few files over?
Yes, via ethernet. You get a Global Village ethernet card off ebay (I have one I would be willing to sell. Let me know if you are interested.). Then you set up a network (or just upload the files to a website and then download them on the PC).
Old Jul 25, 2007, 05:07 AM   #8
BGSM
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. I've found a few floppies that I can work with for now, so you can hold on to your card for now. Thanks for the offer though!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs