Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BGSM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Hi everyone!

I recently purchased a MacBook 1400cs/166 from a tip shop, but when I boot it, it asks for a password. There's a hint box and address box, so I rang the previous owner up - but the number was disconnected.

My father owns the same old MacBook (but it's just a 1400cs) and his doesn't have a password. I've put in an OS9 install CD and held down 'C', and it doesn't work. I've been able to boot it off my fathers 'Disk Tools' floppy, but there's only 'Disk First Aid' and another useless thing.

How do I go about getting past this password? I don't mind having to format the disk, as I don't know what's on it.

The OS9 CD I've got is 9.1, is it possible to install that on it?

Thanks, awaiting your replies!

BGSM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Some more information. My fathers laptop actually does have a password protection option.

Any replies are welcome!:)

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
Most likely the reason the OS 9 CD doesn't work is because the computer does not have enough ram to run it. The 1400 needs to be maxed out at 64mb of ram to run OS 9. So, either upgrade the ram to 64mb or buy an OS 7 or 8 disc off ebay. Once you get either, boot from the CD by holding down C like you've tried and then reformat the hard drive using Drive Utility or whatever it was called under OS 7-9.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
You wouldn't happen to have one of those funky PowerBook SCSI cables to try target mode, would you?

BGSM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Nope, don't have a SCSI cable. I could try reinstalling everything over the top, from downloading the free 19 7.5.3 disks off the net.

I have got into contact with the real estate agent selling the house that the laptops owner used to live in, and she'll give me a ring back if she finds out the cats name.

I'll report back in a few days time to tell you how it goes!

Thanks for your help.

BGSM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Hi everyone, got the password - it was Tigger. :p

It all works, got OS 8.6 on it.

Does anyone know how to link it up to my PC and transfer a few files over?

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
Hi everyone, got the password - it was Tigger. :p

It all works, got OS 8.6 on it.

Does anyone know how to link it up to my PC and transfer a few files over?

Yes, via ethernet. You get a Global Village ethernet card off ebay (I have one I would be willing to sell. Let me know if you are interested.). Then you set up a network (or just upload the files to a website and then download them on the PC).

BGSM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Thanks for your reply. I've found a few floppies that I can work with for now, so you can hold on to your card for now. :) Thanks for the offer though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.