Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

6G iPod Interface: Real or Fake?

• Real

Votes: 80 32.5%
  • Fake

Votes: 166 67.5%

• Total voters

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
it makes sense not to incorporate touch controls; it just works. but you gotta wonder if apple's doing this to prevent cannibalizing iphone sales. overall, though, i'd still want an ipod with all-touch controls. it's intuitive, and the technology is already there.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Well....interesting, but not as cool as the iPhone.

If this turns out to be similar to the 6G iPod, its only because Apple is trying to keep the iPhone offering something nothing else does

subwarm

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2003
Westchester, NY
Seems a little strange that Apple would not use their normal font for an iPod/iPhone user interface. The font in these videos looks to be Arial Black or some variant. The videos are well done but I'm doubting these are authentic.

ejrizo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Los Angeles
seems like its official enough... and this can save cost by not having a touch screen... works well looks great... so i dont doubt this is the new ipod... if i didnt have an iphone i would be all over this when released...

kymac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
portland
sounds like a good idea though. i like the fact of a more visual based experience. the current setup seems kind of boring now.

Sheradon

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2006
This would be a dissapointment if Apple would not offer a large 16:9 screen to view movies on. Not everyone wants the phone (not even available yet in Canada) ho well... we'll see on august 7th :cool:

SheriffParker

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2006
The land of love
Keeping the click-wheel makes sense, especially with all the ipod games that use it. But I think they need to do something else besides revamp the look of the software. It needs to have something new about the design or added hardware features to make it a must-buy.

c.joe.go

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2007
the nexus of the universe
with all of the movement that is occurring with apple towards movies/tv/music in one device (iphone, :apple:tv), i would only guess that the next ipod might have an interface similar to what we see in these videos. i would give the caveat that i would too assume that the ipod will be 16:9.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
If this is True I couldn't be more dissapointed! I really want a wide screen iPhone with out the dam phone and monthly charges and I really want a portable Internet communicator that works on wifi around my home and office, along with a lot of storage for videos and music.

Oh well, if this is real, my money stays in my wallet and I will have to find an alternative. Sure hope this is BS! :eek:

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Looks good. Okay, it looks great! Please don't make it ugly like the 9to5 rendering. I'm really glad I kept my 5.5G wrapped up for the past month. I'll have this iPod opened on 7 Aug!

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
i am starting to believe this iPod will be something like a 5.75G or something like that.....I do think eventually touchscreen iPod will be released but not yet.

don't forget that iPhone is not just targeted in US; Apple will see iPhone to Europe as well as Asia. Those are pretty sizeable market we are talking about.

clickwheel iPod with some more function than current one (maybe wi-fi) in August,

followed by iPhone in Europe in October 2007

then iPhone nano in December 2007 (in US only)

then iPhone nano for Europe in early 2008

then iPhone for Asia in summer 2008 as well as a possible new iPhone version

then we might see iPod touch screen in later 2008.

obviously some people will be very unhappy. I am fine with it.

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
another possibility is to release touchscreen iPod when iPhone price comes down to something like $299. then Apple can release 30gb iPod and 8gb iPhone at $299 each.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
not sure if I like it.
I think the touchscreen is the way to go.
But I will wait until I see it to make my final decision.

I just like the idea of August 7 as the possible announcement. I am tired of waiting.
Bring it on!

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
it makes sense not to incorporate touch controls; it just works. but you gotta wonder if apple's doing this to prevent cannibalizing iphone sales. overall, though, i'd still want an ipod with all-touch controls. it's intuitive, and the technology is already there.

It's not going to cannibalize iPhone sales. 2 different products. One's a phone /MP3 with a measly 4 or 8 gigs of storage space, and one's just an MP3 player but with 80 gigs of space. There are people like me who do not want an iPhone and probably never will want an iPhone yet want an iPod with the widescreen and touchscreen controls. It's not going to cannibalize iPhone sales if we weren't going to buy an iPhone in the first place

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
the interface looks nice, but i'd still like a big screen. preferably 16x9 and bigger than what the iphone offers (im talking 3.5+ inches). im disappointed that its not fullscreen and would really like it if they somehow incorporated both sides with one being the touchwheel part and the other being the full screen for movies.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
TBH I seriously doubt they'd release a touch-screen based iPod, as this will do nothing more than stand in the way of the iPhone's sales.

At present, it's not like the iPod needs help when it comes to sales. iPhone is gonna need a lot of steam to run on when it comes to Europe...

EDIT: Some people say a touchscreen iPod wouldn't take away from the iPhone, but I disagree. Part of what makes the iPhone amazing is it's GUI and the touchscreen. Sure the phone side of things and web browsing is very clever, but the GUI and touchscreen are IMO the most important USPs of the iPhone.

zzcoop

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2003
Well-put-together, but fake, fake, fake.

I'd be far less skeptical if the Beatles album info shown was anywhere close to accurate. The track listing for Love isn't even close! Not to mention that they don't even have a song titled "Happiness."

raykhrud

macrumors regular
Fake makers were dumb. Compare what you see in this video and here, on official Love track list:
"Because"
"Get Back"
"Glass Onion"
"Eleanor Rigby"
"Julia (Transition)"
"I Am the Walrus"
"I Want To Hold Your Hand"
"Drive My Car/The Word/What You're Doing"
"Gnik Nus"
"Something"
"Blue Jay Way (Transition)"
"Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!/I Want You (She's So Heavy)/Helter Skelter"
"Help!"
"Blackbird/Yesterday"
"Strawberry Fields Forever"
"Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows"
"Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds"
"Octopus's Garden"
"Lady Madonna"
"Here Comes the Sun"
"The Inner Light (Transition)"
"Come Together/Dear Prudence"
"Cry Baby Cry (Transition)"
"Revolution"
"Back in the U.S.S.R."
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
"A Day in the Life"
"Hey Jude"
"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)"
"All You Need Is Love"

tingly

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005
I'd be far less skeptical if the Beatles album info shown was anywhere close to accurate.
oh yeah, Love is way off, too. It has more than 14 tracks and the tracklist looks like one of the Anthology albums.

RoDe

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2006
The interface looks nice, nothing groundbreaking. If this indeed will be the interface, I don't expect a touch-screen iPod, but still the use of a scrollwheel. I would buy one but only if they would make one with flash memory with a capacity of 32GB anything less would not be acceptabel to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.