Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmieboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2005
Australia
Hey everyone. I think my Imac is on the way out.

It turns two years old in 3 days time and I don't know if it's going to make it. I've been having random power failures with this machine. This morning I woke up tp find that it was off. I attempted to turn it on a number of times. The computer would turn off sometimes when the start up chime was playing, or at the log on screen or even just after I had logged in. I'm workingon it right now so it hasn't turned off for 15 minutes or so. Not really sure what to do. My guess is that it's the power supply. Might give apple a call tomorrow. I don't have apple care so if I want it fixed I'll have to pay a lot for it. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice, other than to back up all my data. Or if anyone in Australia has had their power supply replaced, how much did it cost?

The specs are in my signature. And I forgot to mention that it's a Rev B and doesn't fall into the serial number range for the logic board replacement program.

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
Random power failures are never good. Sounds like it could be the power supply, and that's not really something you can replace yourself, especially in an iMac. If it's any consolation, your hard drive should be fine, whether your computer boots up or not, and you can even take it out and throw it into another mac or an external enclosure to get your data out if need be.

Jimmieboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2005
Australia
Random power failures are never good. Sounds like it could be the power supply, and that's not really something you can replace yourself, especially in an iMac. If it's any consolation, your hard drive should be fine, whether your computer boots up or not, and you can even take it out and throw it into another mac or an external enclosure to get your data out if need be.

mmm. I was under the impression that the power supply in the iMac G5 was user replaceable. I must have been mistaken. Yeah I guess thats looking on the brightest side. My data isn't going to be lost. But keep in mind that I bought this baby when I was 15 and now I'm 17 I still can't afford to buy a new one right now.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
that stinks that your 2 year old iMac is crapping out. I would call apple asap. i hope you have applecare

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.