Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Jul 25, 2003, 05:38 AM   #1
pgernon
macrumors newbie

Student Deals

Where can I get a mac G5 at a student discount? Also looking for final cut pro at student price.
pgernon is offline   0
Old Jul 25, 2003, 05:53 AM   #2
Nermal

http://www.apple.com/education/store/

I've never used this site, I'm not from the US so can't use the US Apple Store. But apparently that's where you get them from.
Nermal is offline   0
Old Jul 25, 2003, 08:11 AM   #3
MetallicPenguin
macrumors 6502

Are you in college or in high school or whatever?
MetallicPenguin is offline   0
Old Jul 25, 2003, 09:26 AM   #4
Horrortaxi
macrumors 68020

I keep hearing about student discounts but haven't seen anything concrete about them. I'd like to know so that I can pass the information on to my students. Nermal gave you the information for the educator discount--if there's student stuff there I haven't seen it. The discount is probably the same though so checi it out.

Some people expect a huge discount and are disappointed. I think with the recent increase it's up to about 10%. I'm not knocking it--paying $1800 is better than paying $2000--but it's probably not enough to make a difference is being able to afford the computer or not. It shaves off the sales tax. Some people expect to get it for half price because of the discount but that's not the way it goes.
Horrortaxi is offline   0
Old Jul 25, 2003, 09:42 AM   #5
pgernon
macrumors newbie

Cheers I am in uni but based in eurpoe so I dont think I can buy from apple.com anywhere else do it?
pgernon is offline   0
Old Jul 25, 2003, 10:59 AM   #6
jason
macrumors newbie

You can try looking at an on-campus store for educational pricing. I would even as far as asking Apple stores in your area if they will offer educational pricing to university students.

Last edited by jason; Jul 25, 2003 at 04:05 PM.
jason is offline   0
Old Jul 25, 2003, 04:02 PM   #7
mislabeledstar
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Horrortaxi
I keep hearing about student discounts but haven't seen anything concrete about them. I'd like to know so that I can pass the information on to my students. Nermal gave you the information for the educator discount--if there's student stuff there I haven't seen it. The discount is probably the same though so checi it out.

Some people expect a huge discount and are disappointed. I think with the recent increase it's up to about 10%. I'm not knocking it--paying $1800 is better than paying $2000--but it's probably not enough to make a difference is being able to afford the computer or not. It shaves off the sales tax. Some people expect to get it for half price because of the discount but that's not the way it goes.
Go to the apple store online, in the bottom right hand corner there is a link for the educationalk store..... it asks you if you're k-12 or higher ed student/teacher.... click on appropriate link and it will ask you to locate your school and then will connect you to the web page
mislabeledstar is offline   0
Old Jul 26, 2003, 08:21 AM   #8
visor
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to visor
Quote:
Originally posted by pgernon
Cheers I am in uni but based in eurpoe so I dont think I can buy from apple.com anywhere else do it?
cheers - sounds british. Just check out www.apple.com/uk

click store
see upper left other stores /education
find that a G5 starts at 1,421.75
visor is offline   0
Old Jul 26, 2003, 08:37 AM   #9
loicl
macrumors newbie

Send a message via ICQ to loicl
I wrote to someone in apple uk that told me that it is about 5% off (just under). Maybe it was just for europe.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion