Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the recent claim that an iPhone Nano is truly in the works, speculation points to possible designs for a miniaturized design.

Hrmph consolidates recent iPod/iPhone patent applications which depict what appears to be a click-wheel iPhone design:

iphonenano_300.jpg

They go on to describe methods for dialing and text entry with the click wheel. What's most interesting about the depicted images is that they closely resemble an artist rendition of the purported iPhone prior to its launch in January. The September 2006 report came from reliable sources who had reportedly seen the device in person. After the iPhone was revealed in January, we assumed the report was simply wrong or a product of Apple's misinformation efforts surrounding the iPhone. However, if both phones have been in development for some time, this could still represent what the rumored iPhone Nano might look like.

Article Link

mrchainsaw5757

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
I still dont know about using the click wheel to dial numbers, i think that might be kind of weird. But definatly different. i cant wait to see the new iphone nano or whatever and the new ipod.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
The click wheel will not be used for dialing. It's just too weird and uncomfortable. What's more likeley is an all touch screen device that has less storage and limited internet capabilities compared with the iPhone.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I still dont know about using the click wheel to dial numbers, i think that might be kind of weird. But definatly different. i cant wait to see the new iphone nano or whatever and the new ipod.

The original mock-up of this style also said that the click wheel slide down to reveal a traditional keypad. So perhaps the click wheel is used for most of the navigation (and making calls from your addres book, history, etc) but if needed (for texting or for phone dialing) the keypad is under the click wheel... seems pretty cool to me as I agree, the click wheel would be difficult to dial with and would make texting almost impossible

cgray24

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2007
Texas
The click wheel will not be used for dialing. It's just too weird and uncomfortable. What's more likeley is an all touch screen device that has less storage and limited internet capabilities compared with the iPhone.

It would seem they are staying away from touch screens to reduce cost. I dont doubt one bit this could come out without a touch screen at all.

nimbuscloud

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
As much as I love Apple, it would be a bad idea to have people DIAL AND TEXT WITH A CLICK WHEEL!!! I think that they are just covering bases, but I hope they don't think that it is a good idea. It's not user friendly AT ALL.

:apple:

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
It would seem they are staying away from touch screens to reduce cost. I dont doubt one bit this could come out without a touch screen at all.

Not using touch screen might actually cost more. Apple put down a lot of money to create the touch screen behind iPhone. All that R&D represents invested time and money. Using the technology to sell more units is the logical way to pay off all those R&D costs. Also, no one is going to buy a phone for $300 if it doesn't have touch screen or smartphone features. Remember that this is a rumor now. Even if it is out by December, the phone has to be able to compete with other phones on the market. It has to bring something new to the table. A rotary phone without touchscreen doesn't bring anything new to the table.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
The rotary dialing is a load of bull. If the iPhone Nano is actually true, it's probably a slider with the click wheel on the front and then if you slide that up it reveals a small keypad, no way they would do that with texting and stuff that people use cell phones for.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Upon first glance, it would seem to be a bit confusing to dial and to input text into this thing, which would be a step backwards in comparison to the full sized iPhone.

Spizzo

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2004
Pacific NW

Looking at the images in the right of the pic, it looks like the numbers would be given a spot on the click wheel, like the old rotary phones, and you would just click each number as required. And if you miss clicked, I bet you could just hold it down and scroll...

Shouldn't be too hard to dial.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
The rotary dialing is a load of bull. If the iPhone Nano is actually true, it's probably a slider with the click wheel on the front and then if you slide that up it reveals a small keypad, no way they would do that with texting and stuff that people use cell phones for.

There are a dozen phones like that already in the market. Apple always brings something new to the table. I'm sorry, but if the iPhone Nano is real, it is going to impress us all somehow (even if it doesn't cook dinner:p)

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
As much as I love Apple, it would be a bad idea to have people DIAL AND TEXT WITH A CLICK WHEEL!!! I think that they are just covering bases, but I hope they don't think that it is a good idea. It's not user friendly AT ALL.

:apple:

I agree. It was already a risky step forcing people to "trust" iPhone's predictive text... now they have to force you to trust it (it's a slightly different system... you see the predictions onscreen) as well as use a new input method. People are definitely going to be turned off by that, no matter how nice the phone looks. It's just like the whole "There's no right click on Macs" thing. People don't want to approach and learn something radically new or different, at least not without a lot of hesitation.

But in comparison to the right click thing, this is big. This is fundamentally changing the way you use the device, and I don't think many people will be too happy with that.

Not only is there no keypad, but there's no softkeys. I imagine the Prev/Next buttons will act as those, but then what about music playback? Isn't this thing supposed to have an iPod in it?

I mean, I'm all for Apple being different, but that different? No touchscreen, fine, at least make it cheap, but GIVE IT A REGULAR KEYPAD! :mad:

I'll be sticking with Sony Ericsson. Lets hope the next iPod is touchscreen.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
or they can just work on a next gen of the current one to incorporate 3g for europe... i mean the states, then i can have an 'awesomeness' phone:D

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
The numbers aren't in the order of a customary rotary phone, which is counterclockwise. Confusing.

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
Well, forget dialing with that thing, texting and email would be a nightmare!

I don't think if an iPhone Nano were to be launched that it would have full email capability. SMS is a different story, however. I could see a virtual keypad using the click-wheel which would hit roughly the same usability threshold as a typical phone keypad.

Dialing 95% of the time would be done through your contacts so the click-wheel wouldn't be an issue.

Hmmm...
iPod Nano - 8GB = $199
iPhone Nano - 8GB = $299
iPhone - 4GB = $499
iPhone - 8GB = $599

So is $300 worth a better UI, WiFi, Web Browsing, a bigger screen, video and possibly mail? Actually $300 is the exact price point of a typical SmartPhone.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Dialing 95% of the time would be done through your contacts so the click-wheel wouldn't be an issue.

Hmmm...
iPod Nano - 8GB = $199
iPhone Nano - 8GB = $299
iPhone - 4GB = $499
iPhone - 8GB = $599

True, 95% of the time, you don't need to punch in the number. However, for that 5% of the time, it's a real pain in the a$$. Still not worth having a click wheel keypad in my opinion.

Your pricing scheme is a bit off to me. I think the iPhone base would move up to 8GB, and the higher end model would be 16GB.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Looks like the worst phone design on the planet. I can't see Apple ever making anything like this, and if they ever do, then I'll have lost my faith in them.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Mms?

Apple seems to forget the people who still send SMS messages :) :apple:

Ha, you mean MMS??? That's the only reason I haven't gotten the iPhone yet. I am waiting till they add MMS texting. Only like one of my friends has a smart phone with email, so I can't exactly email pics to them :mad:

P.S. I've tried all that email it to their number@carrier.com and whatever and I still haven't been able to get the attatched images to show up! :mad:

I'd appreciate any help if anyone knows something I don't!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.