Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomoisyourgod

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Liverpool, UK
Any recommendations for shooting up close still objects?

Camera is a Canon 350D - having problems shooting things like scalextric cars (we sell them on our websites and Ebay)...

I'm new to digital photography, and as they only Mac user in the workplace, I've got CS3 running, so I use RAW format (for obvious reasons)

Certain objects (like mobile phone cases, memory cards) come out perfect, it's just with certain objects. I've tried and tested (and posted on this board) and the max aperture value is 5.6, many responses to my posts with pictures have indicated I need to set this to 8.0 + AV

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
You need a lens that's specified as a "macro" lens. :)

Well actually, it depends. Are you interested in getting close-up photos of really small objects, or are they quite large objects?

If they're large, then don't worry about a new lens. Assuming you have Canon's 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, and you're getting too little depth of field, then set the lens' focal length to 18 mm, and your f-number to f/8 or something. If you're getting blurry images, then get more light, or get a tripod. :)

tomoisyourgod

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Liverpool, UK
Thanks for the advice Abstract - I'll try out what you said, if not will look at Macro lenses

we've got a Tripod - which I use for all images

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.