Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sturm375

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2002
Bakersfield, CA
We are out in the boonies, and have no broadband availability. We have been using a D-Link Dl-714 which has a modem port, and using that modem port serve dial-up to our LAN. I found out today that the D-Link will not allow webserving through the modem port. Does anybody here know if the Apple Airport Extreme allows webserving through it's built in modem? More than likely I will be using port 8080 to serve.

scan300

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Don't take this as a definitive 'yes', but I can serve web pages over my airport network no problems to 2 other machines on the network, that's the size of my home network. I don't have Xtreme, just plain vanilla airport.

sturm375

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2002
Bakersfield, CA
Originally posted by scan300
Don't take this as a definitive 'yes', but I can serve web pages over my airport network no problems to 2 other machines on the network, that's the size of my home network. I don't have Xtreme, just plain vanilla airport.

Are you serving these web pages through the built in modem, or locally on your LAN?

scan300

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Just on the LAN.

My apologies, I overlooked that you mentioned the modem. I haven't tried serving to the internet over the modem, but it seems that it's supported as long as you can fix a public IP address with your ISP. The following is from Airport Help...

You can use a Web, AppleShare, or FTP server on your wireless network by either turning off Network Address Translation (NAT) and assigning a fixed IP address to the server, or by mapping a specific public IP address of the base station to an IP address and port in the range used by NAT (a process known as "port mapping").

_To use a different range of IP addresses, open the AirPort Admin Utility, click the Network tab, and choose the "Share a range of IP addresses (using only DHCP)" option. Enter the range of IP addresses you have been assigned

Turning off NAT is not recommended unless you have been assigned a specific range of IP addresses by your network administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). When you turn off NAT, you must enter a real range of IP addresses in the IP address fields or turn off Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) and assign IP addresses to the individual computers on the network.

For more information on sharing a range of IP addresses, see the document "Designing AirPort Networks 2," located at http://www.apple.com/airport

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.