Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jul 23, 2007, 01:51 PM   #1
techlover828
macrumors 68020

Powerbook or Macbook pro

I just turned 15 and am going to be a sophomore in high school and am in the market for a new apple laptop. I know that there have been a few posts kind of similar to this one but I think that it is unique enough to post. As you can tell be my signature, I ordered a macbook pro recently and am kind of having second thoughts (note that it is not to late to cancel order). I powerbook just popped up in the marketplace that I feel would fit my needs just as well as the macbook pro. It comes with 2GB of ram and 1.67Gz processor with a 80GB hard drive (which I would upgrade). I probably would only use this for the rest of high school and get a new one for college. So... I would be using
  • Internet Browsing
  • Word processing
  • Maybe some flash
  • I would also like to do some Final cut stuff but It's not critical

Any opinion would be great
techlover828 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 01:55 PM   #2
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

MacBook Pro without a doubt, as long as you can afford the differential in the money.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 01:57 PM   #3
techlover828
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRAM View Post
MacBook Pro without a doubt, as long as you can afford the differential in the money.
Well the macbook pro is three times as much and it doesn't seem to be that much better
Old Jul 23, 2007, 01:59 PM   #4
Surfing@Blacks
macrumors regular

Have you ruled out a MacBook, it seems like it would also be perfect for what you would be doing.
Surfing@Blacks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 02:00 PM   #5
Osarkon
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Osarkon
It's modern technology, the processor is a lot better than the one you'll be getting in a powerbook. It also has a much better graphics card.

I'd guess the RAM in the macbook pro would be faster than the RAM in the powerbook, although that's just an educated guess as I haven't gone to check it up.
Osarkon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 02:01 PM   #6
techlover828
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfing@Blacks View Post
Have you ruled out a MacBook, it seems like it would also be perfect for what you would be doing.
I like the screen size of the mbp/pb and I think that the macbook would be underpowered for final cut and that the powerbook would be more appropriate
Old Jul 23, 2007, 02:06 PM   #7
Surfing@Blacks
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlover828 View Post
I like the screen size of the mbp/pb and I think that the macbook would be underpowered for final cut and that the powerbook would be more appropriate
If the screen size is an issue then I see where you are coming from. However, I do have a powerbook 2 gb ram and also a MacBook 2 gb ram and final cut runs as good if not better then my powerbook. I would just keep your options open. If your MBP is going to be shipped pretty soon, I say just keep it... it will last you for a while and it is a great machine.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 02:08 PM   #8
techlover828
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfing@Blacks View Post
If the screen size is an issue then I see where you are coming from. However, I do have a powerbook 2 gb ram and also a MacBook 2 gb ram and final cut pro runs as good if not better then my powerbook.
But the power book would still be less then half of what I would pay for a macbook
Old Jul 23, 2007, 02:09 PM   #9
feelthefire
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Dual core is going to process graphics much faster than a single core G4 and the graphics card in the 1.67 PB isn't much faster than the integrated GMA in the macbook. You feel like you're getting more for your money, but you're really not. The G4s are so rapidly becoming outdated and cannot compete with the current offerings.
feelthefire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 02:11 PM   #10
CrzyCanuck72
macrumors 6502a

if you're going to be getting a new laptop in 2 years anyway, get the PowerBook... use the saved money to get a better laptop for university. Plus, you're 15, how advanced are your needs? A PB will do fine for Office, MSN, and Facebook :P

edit: if you don't want a G4, how about a used MB or MBP? It seems like a big waste of money for a 15 year-old to get a very high-end laptop and only use it for 2 years (true, you can sell it off then, but still)...
Old Jul 23, 2007, 02:11 PM   #11
Surfing@Blacks
macrumors regular

Quote:
But the power book would still be less then half of what I would pay for a macbook
The powerbook will also be outdated a lot faster then the current macbooks.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 02:21 PM   #12
techlover828
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyCanuck72 View Post
if you're going to be getting a new laptop in 2 years anyway, get the PowerBook... use the saved money to get a better laptop for university. Plus, you're 15, how advanced are your needs? A PB will do fine for Office, MSN, and Facebook :P

edit: if you don't want a G4, how about a used MB or MBP? It seems like a big waste of money for a 15 year-old to get a very high-end laptop and only use it for 2 years (true, you can sell it off then, but still)...
I wouldn't get a new one if the mbp is still functioning well. Plus, thats three years, not two.

Plus, didn't you read that I would be doing final cut
Old Jul 23, 2007, 02:24 PM   #13
Osarkon
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Osarkon
Quote:
I wouldn't get a new one if the mbp is still functioning well. Plus, thats three years, not two.
The macbook pro should easily last you that. The powerbook, not so much. It's already out of date.
Osarkon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 02:31 PM   #14
iToaster
macrumors 68000

Once you get that MBP, you will be in disbelief that you even considered anything else. The MBP is awesome, and is a great deal more powerful than a PB. The PB is really a step below a MB, it's got at least two year old technology in it, a small hard drive, slower RAM (333 Mhz vs. 667 Mhz). Trust me, I love my MBP a lot more than my old MB, and my friend's PB that I used what just hands down slower than my MB, by a lot. Trust me, for what you're doing, you won't need the supreme overlord of Macs, but you'll enjoy the MBP (plus braggin' rights!). I was looking at PBs when I was thinking about a MBP, they're just too old to be that useful today. Sure they'll run fine, but they're not 64 bit (leopard), nor are they very recent, and by the next release of OS X, they'll be dropped, I'm sure. Just go with your original plan, follow it through, you'll be very happy, just don't go into denial while it's shipping.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 02:34 PM   #15
techlover828
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iToaster View Post
Once you get that MBP, you will be in disbelief that you even considered anything else. The MBP is awesome, and is a great deal more powerful than a PB. The PB is really a step below a MB, it's got at least two year old technology in it, a small hard drive, slower RAM (333 Mhz vs. 667 Mhz). Trust me, I love my MBP a lot more than my old MB, and my friend's PB that I used what just hands down slower than my MB, by a lot. Trust me, for what you're doing, you won't need the supreme overlord of Macs, but you'll enjoy the MBP (plus braggin' rights!). I was looking at PBs when I was thinking about a MBP, they're just too old to be that useful today. Sure they'll run fine, but they're not 64 bit (leopard), nor are they very recent, and by the next release of OS X, they'll be dropped, I'm sure. Just go with your original plan, follow it through, you'll be very happy, just don't go into denial while it's shipping.
Thanks a lot for your advice
Old Jul 23, 2007, 07:48 PM   #16
superleccy
macrumors 6502a

Jeez. When I was 15 I had a ZX Spectrum and I was perfectly happy with that.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:34 PM   #17
blackslayer
macrumors regular

If a powerbook has a G5..U may consider. but unfortunately it is still using a G4 chip..
blackslayer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:42 PM   #18
aaron.lee2006
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to aaron.lee2006 Send a message via MSN to aaron.lee2006 Send a message via Skype™ to aaron.lee2006
Quote:
I just turned 15 and am going to be a sophomore in high school and am in the market for a new apple laptop. I know that there have been a few posts kind of similar to this one but I think that it is unique enough to post. As you can tell be my signature, I ordered a macbook pro recently and am kind of having second thoughts (note that it is not to late to cancel order). I powerbook just popped up in the marketplace that I feel would fit my needs just as well as the macbook pro. It comes with 2GB of ram and 1.67Gz processor with a 80GB hard drive (which I would upgrade). I probably would only use this for the rest of high school and get a new one for college. So... I would be using
  • Internet Browsing
  • Word processing
  • Maybe some flash
  • I would also like to do some Final cut stuff but It's not critical

Any opinion would be great
I bought a MacBook Pro last year when I was turning 15. I absolutely needed it though. It seems for the things you will be doing, you don't need the MacBook Pro. You should dave yourself the money and get a MacBook. You just can't do Motion work on a MacBook with Final Cut. If I were you I would get a MacBook. With the arguments you have given it seems you are convincing yourself that you don't want this MBP. If you don't want it then get save the money and buy a MacBook. I don't think anyone in this thread can help you further then they have. It is your choice now.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 11:03 PM   #19
Royale w/cheese
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackslayer View Post
If a powerbook has a G5..U may consider. but unfortunately it is still using a G4 chip..
What relevance is this? Not to sound mean or anything.

But to the OP, They are both good machines, although you obviously know which one is the strongest. In my opinion even the Macbook is stronger than the G4, and I have both. If you can afford the MBP, you should just go for it. Stronger, will be a great capable machine for a long time, and have a better resale value in a couple years if you chose to go that route.
Royale w/cheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 11:22 PM   #20
joepunk
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to joepunk
As a PB user I find mine to be just as useful for everyday tasks and probably more if I maxed out the ram.

I do understand that a MB/P would be much better for future uses. But, I still see people using Old G3 and G4 Macs for heavy tasks. IMO a MB would work for now and you could sell it when you are in your first year of Uni. The choice really is yours.

And what is it with our (Mac users) idea that if a computer is 3-4 years old it is completly slow and useless?

Flickr
joepunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs