Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lia77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
SOME WATER SPILLED ONTO MY MACBOOK SCREEN AND KEYBOARD, THE COMPUTER SEEMS TO RUN FINE, HOWEVER, THE DISPLAY SEEMS TO BE DAMAGED. THERE ARE A NUMBER OF SPOTS WHICH APPEAR ON THE DISPLAY, AND IT LOOKS TERRIBLE (LOOK AT THE PICTURES). WHAT CAN I DO?? IS THE DAMAGE PERMANENT?? WOULD THE WATER EVENTUALLY EVAPORATE?? IS IT DANGEROUS TO USE THE NOTEBOOK AT ALL?? :confused:

Attachments

• Sin título-1.jpg
    Sin título-1.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 3,510
  • Sin título-2.jpg
    Sin título-2.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 5,173
  • Sin título-3.jpg
    Sin título-3.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 2,905

bonecandy

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2006
If it just happened, you should power off the Macbook and let the water drain/dry out over the next week. If you did something like that already and the screen is the result, then contact Apple I guess and see how much it'll cost to get it repaired.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Agreed. Leave it in a dry, warm place with the screen open. Don't close it otherwise the water could collect inside the laptop = bad.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Fortunately if you have to spill something, water is the best since there are no sugars or acids. I'd power the computer off, remove the battery and let it sit, maybe have a fan directed at the screen for an extended period of time. Just another example of why I never have any beverages anywhere near my computers.

polycat33

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Alexandria, VA
Whatever you do dont turn it on!

Heh, said after seeing pictures of the water damaged screen while it's on. It's a bit too late for that. ;)

I agree with powering it down and leaving it to dry. I've read about other people having water spillages like that and that it eventually dried so be glad it's just water and wait for it to dry.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9900/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

maybe use a hairdryer on cool air setting. Try not to use it.

mcmillan

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9900/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

maybe use a hairdryer on cool air setting. Try not to use it.

I would say a cool air fan is alright, but I suggest you DO NOT USE A HAIR DRYER. I have heard bad reports about things changing in size because of the heat, like the keys popping out. Cool air is fine, but I would recommend not to try a dryer.

lia77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Thanks!!!

Thank you all so much for your advice! It happened yesterday. ( If anyone wants to know how it happened, a guy in a coffee shop spilled water on it...)

I did actually use it for a few hours after it happened, as the damage did not show so much at first. Will that hurt the display further? I also closed it when bringing it back home.

I'll try to follow your advice, and as a personal advice to you all, don't let any idiot carrying liquids get close to your computer :cool:

MaddieBrad

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2007
New York City
if i were you I wqould set the book upside down with the screen hanging upside down. place a towel or something soft on the edge of a table and let the screen hang upside down, and the keys upside down onto the towel. That way the moisture will always move away from the logic board. Do not power it on until all the moisture is GONE. If your not sure... wait even longer.

Oh... and PS... If you use the above method make sure you have no kids or pets that will knock it off the desk or table. I had a friend who spilled coffe on his laptop and i advised him to do this and it ended up ok.

b

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
I hope you got that guys name and information that spilled water on it. If it needs to be fixed, he owes you the money or at least part of it! Careless people make me :mad:

iarejedi

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
Some water?

That doesn't look like some lol Sorry about that though, that must be a bummer.

getmb

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2007
did the water dry out?

please help. i dropped a glass of wine approximately 5 feet away from my new macbook! it did not go on the keyboard at all but it ran down the open screen.

almost instantly moisture ( i think) crept up the side of the screen.
it has improved over a few hours because i left it on top of a towel, on its side on top of the hot water cupboard. i must say that it has improved but i guess I am panicking!!!

the laptop is working perfectly well, because not a drop went on the keyboard at all.

what i would like to know; is it likely to dry out totally
is the screen a totally sealed unit making this spillage a cosmetic issue which will eventually dry ?

what a stupid idiot,,,,i never allow anyone near my laptop with a drink and, in fairness, this was not the case this time. but take my advice from someone who practically cuddles my macbook...never let a drink even within falling distance...

yours, with a sleepless night

lia77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
It Is Ok!!

Hi everyone!
Just to let you know, my computer looks almost as before now. It has been a week since the water spill and now you can hardly see any damage at all! There are just a few brighter spots on the screen now, but they are decreasing every day! What I did was to follow your advices...I left it open, took the battery out, and let it dry. Luckily I am in the dry desert right now, so that probably helped a lot!

Getmb, I hope it will work out just as fine for you! I know what the panic was like, I had some sleepless nights too....But keep the screen open and just wait...

Good luck!
K

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
LCDs are designed to soak up liquids. This is actually how liquid (the L in LCD) is put into the display. Do not put any liquids on your screen, even to clean them, as it will be soaked up by Capillary Action.

erin330

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
Reviving this thread, unfortunately. I have always cleaned my laptop screen with a damp cloth (Apple's website even says to do so). Well, this time, I guess it was a tad more damp than usual, and now I have water spots all over the screen. Craaaaaaapp:eek::eek::eek:

I did this last night, and it's still looking the same today. What should I do for my best chance of possibly drying it out? Am I making things worse by using it while it has the water spots?

ron1004

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Louisville, KY
I'd go along with the other suggestions, let it dry out, but I expect that you will need the display to be disassembled to clear the water marks.

I'd get them to fix the caps lock key at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.