Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
Thanks guys. D-Vision 3 doesn't look like it'll do it. From what I can tell not even close to this specific reason I need.

I'm gonna try MPEG Stream Clip right now.

Any other suggestions please bring 'em on! Thanks! :)

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Are these 2 separate clips that you want to join, or are they a single video file that was split into 2 parts in order to send over usenet or email or whatever? If they're 2 parts of a single video file which was split then just use catenator to stitch the parts into a single file. You can find that app on versiontracker.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
Are these 2 separate clips that you want to join, or are they a single video file that was split into 2 parts in order to send over usenet or email or whatever? If they're 2 parts of a single video file which was split then just use catenator to stitch the parts into a single file. You can find that app on versiontracker.

Seems to me you need a PPC Mac for catenator, am I right? Tried running it on my MacBook Pro and it didn't work. They are 2 large AVI files, that were one file originally.

The other 2 programs suggested didn't work either. :(

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Seems to me you need a PPC Mac for catenator, am I right? Tried running it on my MacBook Pro and it didn't work. They are 2 large AVI files, that were one file originally.

The other 2 programs suggested didn't work either. :(

Catenator is just an executable applescript (which is basically a .bat file if you're coming from Windows-land), so I doubt it matters if you're on PPC or intel. But if you think that's the problem because downloading the program and dragging and dropping the video files onto its icon doesn't work, then just open catenator in the applescript editor and resave it as an application.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
Catenator is just an executable applescript (which is basically a .bat file if you're coming from Windows-land), so I doubt it matters if you're on PPC or intel. But if you think that's the problem because downloading the program and dragging and dropping the video files onto its icon doesn't work, then just open catenator in the applescript editor and resave it as an application.

Maybe I don't understand what you're saying, but I just tried that and all it does is make it so when I load the new "app" I get a popup that says to run click on run, to quit click on quit. :p Duh. :rolleyes: so I click run and it's the same darn outcome as with the original file. So I'm not sure what you mean here obviously. When I follow the instruction of dragging the two video files to the icon for this script, nothing happens. I gave my Mac some time to work on it, and I got one file out of it, was the size of the first two files added together, but went to play it and it only played the first half. How the heck does that happen? Same video as file #1 but double the size? I don't get it.

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
What's the easiest way to merge together two fairly large AVI files, into one.

Is this possible with any freeware?

Many thanks in advance! :)

Haha, would these happen to come from numerous .rar files? Just kidding!

Open both files with Quicktime, [scroll] to the end of the first file, select the second file, apple-a (select all) in the second file, then apple-c (copy) in the second file and apple-v (paste) at the end of the first file.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
I got one file out of it, was the size of the first two files added together, but went to play it and it only played the first half.

That's what the program is supposed to do. That outcome means the separate AVI files are really individual separate AVI files and not a single AVI file that was cut into 2 pieces. (Which doesn't mean the footage isn't continuous between the 2 clips, but that the files themselves are independent source files)

In that case, the only way to create a single movie file that contains both clips is to open up the files in a video editor like iMovie, butt the 2 files up next to each other in sequence, then export the spliced sequence as a new movie file. (basically what chrisdazzo said above).

Alternatively, if you just want to see both clips in sequence and don't actually care about creating a single video file that contains both clips, then you can just put them in a playlist in VLC. There'll be a tiny stutter between when one clip ends and another begins, but it's not a big deal. Then you can save the playlist so that whenever you want to see the combined clips you just double click the saved playlist, which opens the sequence of clips in VLC again.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
Thanks guys. Quicktime Pro will apparently let me do that, but not the free version. Tried iMovie HD and got a totally bloated file and it altered the aspect ratio. I'm not very familar with that program and couldn't figure that out.

Anyhow, QT Pro looks like it'll let me do it easy, I think I might just buy that but I'll think about it a bit first, especially since the free version now supports full screen, heh.

Thanks for the help people. :)

chkdg8

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Hate to bring up an old thread but MPEG Streamclip did this with no problem. By default it kept all parameters in check.

polyglotinc

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
MPEG Streamclip lost video for me

Hate to bring up an old thread but MPEG Streamclip did this with no problem. By default it kept all parameters in check.

I just tried to merge 2 .avi files via MPEG Streamclip (v1.9.2), but the result file only had the audio...the video was all black...file size was not smaller though.

Or did I do it the wrong way?
In MPEG Streamclip, I opened two .avi files (which play just fine in the program, by the way)
then simply did a "save as" to a new .avi file.
It proceeded to quickly save the entire 2 hours to the new copy, but as indicated, good sound but all black picture. :(

NumberVII

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2010
Thanks guys. Quicktime Pro will apparently let me do that, but not the free version. Tried iMovie HD and got a totally bloated file and it altered the aspect ratio. I'm not very familar with that program and couldn't figure that out.

Anyhow, QT Pro looks like it'll let me do it easy, I think I might just buy that but I'll think about it a bit first, especially since the free version now supports full screen, heh.

New on this forum and not sure if I'm aloud to say this out loud here, but anyway consider me thinking it out loud then.. but get the serialbox application and you will find a load of useful serial code to activate quicktime pro... Stop downloading all these apps cause quicktime does the trick reaaaallly fast. As been said before, do the copy paste trick, even add the subtitles to the original files and it will copy them too, then save as a selfcontained movie and voila, your new video file. Burn it and watch it ;)

grtz

arletha

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2010

Don't waste time with QT Pro. Its a bloated piece of software. I had it before.

Reel1

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2006
Onatrio, Canada

QT Pro works perfectly

1755442TR

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2013
Don't waste your time with AddMovie

AddMovie is just a video converter that will mess up your movies! This means that you can not merge 2 movie files can not be added togeather.

Originally Posted by gescom
Try AddMovie.
It's free work fine for me.
Download AddMovie

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.