Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
Hi guys... :)

I got my new eMac in the mail today and love everything... except one thing. ;)

When I am listening to my mp3s, or doing anything to play sound, I am experiencing something that seems odd...

And that is, I have to have the volume on my eMac turned up to about the 6th or 7th level to hear any sound at a good volume. Weird???

I just upgraded from a Graphite iMac G3/600, and I could play music fine, with great sound volume, on the first sound level. The 8th sound level on my iMac would be very LOUD, but this new eMac has to be on the 8th level to get just normal good sound out. Is this NORMAL??

Has anyone else experienced this or heard of it happening? Do you have any idea how to change it so I can get some sound coming out on the 1st or 2nd level? Shouldn't it make SOME sound on level 1 and 2? Please help :) Thanks!

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
From my experience, yours, and the previous generation of iMacs have great, loud sound. I'd guess the eMac's speakers are just mediocre. Try using headphones.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Are you sure you have both the system volume and the iTunes volume turned up? That's something that people have problems with frequently (a lot moreso on PC's, which have like 5 volume controls even for basic consumers that get confused by 'em)...

pnw

SteveC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
Thanks for the responses G and Paul. :)

Yes, to answer your question, yes I do have the iTunes volume on max, so it's not one of those types of issues.. :)

What I find particularly interesting is this information on apple.com/emac
"Speakers of the house - The speakers on the eMac are twice the size — and twice the volume — of the speakers in the 15-inch CRT-based iMac. And we’ve designed speaker grills that perfectly coordinate with the eMac and protect the speakers from prying fingers, pens and paper clips."

If anyone can offer any suggestions or further comments I will greatly appreciate them. Thanks! :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
On my iBook I need to put the volume about halfway before I can hear anything. However it makes sense because I need to turn it down to about a quarter when using headphones - if it was louder without headphones then it would be unbearably loud with them. I hope that made sense!

scan300

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
If the volume issue is mainly with iTunes:

Check the gain settings on your equalizer in iTunes, or unmark the "on" checkbox in the equalizer.

The gain, ideally, should be set to 0dB. It could be that your last iMac had the gain up permanently, creating a louder than normal output. If it is at or below 0dB, you could drive the gain up. Be warned that this can cause some clipping/distortion of your sound.

If the volume is down also with alerts and quicktime movies, check your sound preferences "output volume" is set high enough. (You didn't mention which volume control you have played with in your previous posts).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.