Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msizzle64

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
my iPhone doesn't want to charge with the USB Power Adapter. if i have the adapter disconnected for about an hour, plug it in and put the iPhone in the dock, it starts to work again. but after about a hour, it stops working. it charges when its connected to the computer. whats wrong. i tryed every outlet in the house and at my freinds house. is the dock, USB Power Adapter, cord?

Xtgirl

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
I tried to get mine replaced but when I went to the store it started working again so they wouldn't replace it....it stopped working AGAIN...my husband is going to call Apple tomorrow and complain for me cause I give up too easy...I have noticed that it happens everytime I unplug it from the wall for a while and plug it back in...it doesn;t work.

msizzle64

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I tried to get mine replaced but when I went to the store it started working again so they wouldn't replace it....it stopped working AGAIN...my husband is going to call Apple tomorrow and complain for me cause I give up too easy...I have noticed that it happens everytime I unplug it from the wall for a while and plug it back in...it doesn;t work.

The exact same thing happened to me. whenever i go to the store, it works

osoc13

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2006
software update

I spoke with an Apple Genius today after I was having problems charging my phone. He told me that there is a known problem with the iPhone's software that results in the phone not indicating the actual battery level. It could be the case that the phone appears to have plenty battery left only to suddenly drop. This is not because the battery is faulty necessarily, but could be because the software isn't working properly and is misrepresenting your battery usage.

He said that a software update that's coming very soon will address this problem, but wouldn't say more than that.

Xtgirl

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
Honestly, I think the battery not charging fully and the ac adaptor not working are different issues. My phone will not charger whether it has a full or empty battery and will charge with my husband's charger. I will reiterate that mine seems to stop working if unplugged from the wall for a period of time...anyone else notice this. I believe this to be an adapter issue and not the phone itself.

osoc13

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2006
I didn't mean to imply that what I heard today was a fix for your problem--there very well could be an issue with the battery. It was just a bit of news I thought I'd pass along.

Xtgirl

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
I wasn't trying to rip on you...thanks for the info.

My husband called Apple for me today, cause I give up to easily:(

It took a great deal of effort to get a new adapter but we got one. They first wanted to charge us 14 dollars in shipping, but he told them that didn't seem reasonable and they are going to ship it free.

As he said, how many people are going to drive 1 hour to a store to exchange a perfectly working charger for another perfectly working charger. They either think you are stupid or lying...but why would anyone lie about this? I didn't ask for a new phone.....

I was just surprised that so many people had such an easy time exchanging their messed up chargers and were taken at their word and I was not. But in the end it worked out.

k2k koos

macrumors 6502a
Powerbricks

To be honest I think the problem may be a bad power supply from your electricity supplier. The frequency of the network is either not very stable, or it contains a lot of spikes and dirt...
I have the same problem with the power brick on my Powerbook G4. When ever I used to plug this in on board an ocean going ship (I worked in the marine industry) then it would switch itself of regularly. (the network on board contained spikes etc, and fluctuated as the generators are affected by the motion of the ocean to a degree). At home I have a fairly clean source, and no problems at all.

It does seem to me though, that the iPhone brick is ultra sensitive to this type of stuff, and it could very well be that in the Apple store most sockets are fed via some sort of power conditioner, hence it doesn't happen there. :apple:

smccostlin

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
San Jose, CA
To be honest I think the problem may be a bad power supply from your electricity supplier. The frequency of the network is either not very stable, or it contains a lot of spikes and dirt...
I have the same problem with the power brick on my Powerbook G4. When ever I used to plug this in on board an ocean going ship (I worked in the marine industry) then it would switch itself of regularly. (the network on board contained spikes etc, and fluctuated as the generators are affected by the motion of the ocean to a degree). At home I have a fairly clean source, and no problems at all.

It does seem to me though, that the iPhone brick is ultra sensitive to this type of stuff, and it could very well be that in the Apple store most sockets are fed via some sort of power conditioner, hence it doesn't happen there. :apple:

Okay, so I am not rude, but I think you are wrong... I too have had this problem twice in different area codes. Once in Mojave, CA. and a second time in San Jose, CA. There is something wrong with the charger, and apple knows about it already. They had to know about before the release of the iphone. I believe they knew the following:

Charger adapters would fail
Safari quits unexpectedly

Those two things would not seem so big to me if I was a major computer corporation knowing I can bring out new software to fix those issues....

Bob Knob

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
I had the one that came with my iPhone die and someone in know had one that came with their dock was doa... two separate locations, mine on power conditioned from a LARGE ups unit.
If you need to get one replaced because it is not working and they start to give you grief about it working at the store make sure to point out that it seems fine for about 20 to 30 minutes and then the iPhone just starts cycling through connect/disconnect sounds every few minutes and it never charges the iPhone. This is what the one that came with my iPhone did... and it turns out this scenario is in the internal tech notice the stores have received (limited insider source/contact).

juniormaj

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2001
Newbury Park, CA
if i have the adapter disconnected for about an hour, plug it in and put the iPhone in the dock, it starts to work again. but after about a hour, it stops working. it charges when its connected to the computer.

I'm having almost exactly the same problem.
It worked fine for the first 3.5 weeks, and then a few days ago just stopped charging. No connection sound when plugged in, no indication of charging.
I assumed it to be dead, so I replaced it with my iPod power adapter (same model) that's about a year old, and it's been working fine so far.
My iPhone also exhibits no charging problems when connected to my PowerBook.
I was planning to take the original adapter back to the Apple store for an exchange, but after reading this thread decided to try it again today. Right now it's working fine, but I'll see how it's doing in the morning.
There is a growing thread about this on the Apple Support website, as well.

mudskip

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2007
Winston-Salem, NC
AC adapter charging issue PC related?

Okay... here is my story.
I am a MacBook user.
I had charged my iPhone exclusivly with these items:
  • MacBook
  • AC Adapter
  • Belkin Car Charger

... until 1 day at work, i was running low on charge.
Decided to hook up the iPhone to a PC to charge.
It took a while for the charge screen to show up, but eventually it showed up, and charged normally.

After that, i went home and found that the iPhone did not seem to be charging on the AC adapter...
I had read the stories about the iPhone not reporting its own battery life accurately, so I assumed that this was the issue, something perhaps caused by connecting it to the PC.
Well... eventually my iPhone went completely dead... so that tells me it was actually *not* charging on the AC Adapter.

Still charges fine on the MacBook...

So, I am wondering if somehow connecting the iPhone to the PC caused it to no longer charge with the AC adapter. Don't know how this could make sense, but it is supported by the facts.
:)

HotdogGiambi

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
Charlottesville, VA
ac adapter died too / happy ending

my adapter died shortly after I plugged it in for the first time. I wasn't sure what the problem was and spent some time trying to trouble shoot it myself. After reading of several similar problems on apple support forums, I called apple support and the sent me a replacement brick via dhl (it came in 24 hours) and they asked I return the defective one in the same envelope (dhl was paid by apple) and......viola. All is working and I'm a happy iPhone user once again.

blashphemy

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2006
Just use an old Firewire iPod power brick, you know, back from the 4G and 3G iPods. They worked great then, and they still work great now, even with the iPhones. At least, I use my old FW adapter to recharge my battery at work :)

But no, I haven't had any problems with my USB power brick.

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
My iPhone power brick stopped working two days ago

Howdy,
My power brick similarly stopped working two days ago after working every night for, well, weeks. And yes, the iPhone still charges by the same cable from my MacBok Pro, and from the iPod cable when I plug it into my G5, although the G5 spontaneously deletes all my music every time I plug it in... If I sync with .Mac and it's going to change more than 5% of my other data it asks me; why not "Warning: Should I delete all your music? (Cancel) (OK)" Five seconds to music gone, 2 hours to music restored. I'll edit when I get a resolution...

billbarlow

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2007
2 iPhones, 2 chargers, 2 headaches

My A.C. Adapter stopped charging my iPhone, so I switched to the one that came with my wife's iPhone. Same problem with hers. Tried at least three different outlets in the house -- including one that was indisputably working, as confirmed Apple's own hardware (a.k.a. the little "glowing" connector, at the end of my PowerBook's A.C. Adapter).

Even swapped-out the "USB to iPhone" cables. Nothing worked, except:

Every single time I plug either cable, attached to either iPhone, into any PowerBook USB port -- ta da! Charging commenced, instantly -- as indicated by the little "lightning bolt" icon in the phone's "battery level" indicator.

Sadly my trip across town (to the only Genius Bar with an appointment that fit my schedule) resulted in disappointment. The Genius plugged in my adapter and -- you guessed it -- it started charging. Just like that. (He tried to duplicate my problem by using other outlets in the store, but each time it failed to... um... "fail."

Don't you just HATE intermittent problems?

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Mine stopped working, too. Applecare said I could have it replaced at an Apple store, no problem.

LOL, I stopped by my nearby Apple store (Danbury, CT) and they were closed for remodeling this week! I'll stop by this weekend probably.

I also had battery issues, which seems to me to be different (though possibly related, I suppose). The phone would run down to empty in one day of light usage. I restored the iPhone (took a while because it downloaded a 92MB file to do so). And now the phone seems to be fine. The annoying part is that all my deleted emails reappeared on my phone. I had to spend a while sorting back through 400 emails (Why, no thank you. It sounds tempting, but I don't want to meet any Russian girls today).

billbarlow

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2007
2 iPhones, 2 chargers, 2 headaches

Found a spare ZipLinq Adapter in my travel bag (the kind that plugs into a A.C. outlet and provides power via a USB jack -- much like Apple's Adapter should do) and I thought, "What the heck?!"

Using the ZipLinq with Apple's iPhone cable, I found both of our iPhones charge just fine (evidenced by the "Lightning Bolt" on the iPhone's Batttery Icon.)

Using Apple's iPhone A.C. Adapter (same A.C. outlet, same cable, same iPhones) resulted in no charging at all (based on the absence of said "Lightning Bolt" icon)

Fairly damning results for the Apple A.C. Adapter, IMHO.

blindzero

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2006
Mine doesn't show it's fully charged, and won't charge sometimes when hooked up via the dock on my Mac (I have the same problem with my IPOD sometimes). It's frustrating because I assume it's charging after syncing it etc....

I've never had a problem with the wall charger- I can always count on it to at least fill out bar (even if it doesnt glow green saying its full).

Off Topic- My Iphone does get VERY warm when using WIFI.

iDeclare

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2005
Atlanta, GA
iPhone power brick dead (too)

I too am having the same trouble. I plugged my phone into the supplied power brick with a fairly new USB cable for two weeks without a problem. Now, nothing- I've resorted to using an older, larger iPod brick and that has been working fine for me.

I'm heading to the genius bar tomorrow (Lenox- Atlanta) to get a replacement. Cross your fingers.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.