Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jul 27, 2003, 01:05 AM   #1
mymemory
Banned

Painting the New Powerbooks

Ok, this is gonna happen soon or later. I do not have any of the new powerbooks but since they are made of aluminio (what ever) instead of titanium they can be painted very well.

I would like to get a 12" PB and paint it black, take the enclusure to a car bodu shop and ask for a little favor. It may look very good almost like a Pismo (but never the same I know).

What would you do if you had the chance?
mymemory is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2003, 01:22 AM   #2
applemacdude
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to applemacdude Send a message via AIM to applemacdude Send a message via MSN to applemacdude Send a message via Yahoo to applemacdude Send a message via Skype™ to applemacdude
no. if i had a new powerbook i would take care of it like it was my little baby. realy why would you want to paint it black? black was so 4 years ago metal is the new style
applemacdude is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2003, 01:36 AM   #3
MCPeck
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to MCPeck Send a message via Yahoo to MCPeck Send a message via Skype™ to MCPeck
I like where you are going with this...

The only concern I would have is that with the extra thickness (Al + paint + clear coat?) might cause problems with heat dissapation...

Heat is always an issue with the G4's in powerbooks, just make sure your painter knows what he is painting...laptop covers and not a car...

If it were me, I might go with a metallic Plymoth purple, aka prowler purple... maybe with tape lines to show the Al through... then cover with a pearled clear coat...

But what ever, have your guy paint it thin or your will over heat... remember it's easier to paint it right than try and strip the paint for a second try !
Not enough rum...
MCPeck is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2003, 03:22 AM   #4
jbomber
macrumors 6502a

I don't think i would do it, but there could be some really cool customization going on if the surface is that easy to alter...
Old Jul 27, 2003, 04:28 AM   #5
herr_neumann
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to herr_neumann
if anything, get it powder coated.... much better than paint.
herr_neumann is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2003, 04:39 AM   #6
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

It'll **** your warranty. The heat problem would be more of an issue, and black traps heat. The added coat of paint will also provide a greater resistance to heat dissipation. Its not smart. This heat may mess up the insides of your computer, and may make things wear out faster or something.

Steve would never forgive you for painting his perfectly designed PB a different colour. Feel Steve's wrath. Steve is pure energy --- emotional, evil, and sexual. Steve = mc^2.

EDIT TO ADD: Take a look at my Avatar. What is that "macrumors 6502" tag added above my avatar?

Last edited by Abstract; Jul 27, 2003 at 04:56 AM.
Abstract is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2003, 05:46 AM   #7
cb911
macrumors 601

Send a message via ICQ to cb911 Send a message via AIM to cb911
if i had a new PowerBook and wasn't worried about voiding the warranty or anything, then i'd go for it!!

but perhaps instead of painting the entire thing you could just do a small part of it. or maybe airbrush it instead. wouldn't airbrush be a more controlled way of painting it? you would probably be able to better control the thickness of the paint that goes on.

i hope someone does it to the new PB's. i remember that someone in Japan (i think) custom painted a powerbook, but it might have been a Pismo.

and Abstract, "macrumors 6502" just means that you've got a certain number of posts. like when you get 500 posts you can have a 'tar. i think the "macrumors" descriptions are sort of like that, and will keep changing the more posts you make.
Old Jul 27, 2003, 07:11 AM   #8
irmongoose
macrumors 68030

Why don't you just get a Skin for it?

irmongoose
Old Jul 27, 2003, 08:23 AM   #9
cb911
macrumors 601

Send a message via ICQ to cb911 Send a message via AIM to cb911
yeah, i saw a thing about MacSkinz a while back... they were only available for the iBook at the time. i might have missed it last time i checked, but they say that they're working on releasing the skinz for the Titaniums... and i guess that the 12 & 17" will follow.

it also says about the skins that they're about as thick as a credit card. if they're going to make it out of the same stuff for the TiBooks, then there would have to be a very minimal risk of overheating. if you're going to put something that thick over a TiBooks case, then i doubt there would be any problems with painting it.

a good thing about those Skinz though... you can also purchase them in clear so you can paint them yourself. a much better option than 'risking' it with a $500 TiBook case.
Old Jul 27, 2003, 10:23 AM   #10
RichP
macrumors 68000

Its aluminum bro..you can have it anodized! Very nice finish, still will show the texture of the metal, and wont affect the heat transfer like paint or powercoat.

The only issue with things beside paint is that the whole unit isnt alum, so you may have issues coloring the plastic parts.
RichP is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2003, 11:12 AM   #11
DrGonzo
macrumors member

bah

you should have no problems with "heat transfer"

Quote:
The added coat of paint will also provide a greater resistance to heat dissipation.
WHAT added coat? If it's just "clear coated" aluminum you'd have to strip that off before you paint it anyways, and then you're down to bare AL. You all worry about heat transfer and then you go on to suggest macskinz. Paint it man, paint it to your hearts delight or get it anodized like others suggested.
Old Jul 27, 2003, 11:22 AM   #12
RichP
macrumors 68000

with all this talk of heat dissipation, were you planning on just painting the top of it, or the underside too. I dont think the screen has much/if any heat issues.
RichP is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2003, 02:30 PM   #13
jbomber
macrumors 6502a

Re: bah

Quote:
Originally posted by DrGonzo
you should have no problems with "heat transfer"

WHAT added coat? If it's just "clear coated" aluminum you'd have to strip that off before you paint it anyways, and then you're down to bare AL. You all worry about heat transfer and then you go on to suggest macskinz. Paint it man, paint it to your hearts delight or get it anodized like others suggested.
Hehehehe. "Paint it man, paint it to your hearts delight". I can't wait to see some custom painted Albooks.
Old Jul 27, 2003, 03:02 PM   #14
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
Re: Re: bah

Quote:
Originally posted by jbomber
Hehehehe. "Paint it man, paint it to your hearts delight". I can't wait to see some custom painted Albooks.
Yes, and all of them frying. Painting those will more than likely make your machine force sleep every 15 minutes or so, from the internal temperature going too high. I don't know whether the aluminum is clearcoated or not, but even if it is, you ARE adding another layer-- remove one layer, add two... But the real problem here isn't coat numbers or color (black only traps heat radiated through light, since it refracts no colors it absorbs each of their wavelengths), it's the fact that paint is NOT heat conductive, and aluminum is... So the heat flows through the metal, to quickly dissapate into the air/desk/your lap, and the paint will be a nice insulator for it, slowing the rate of heat exchange, increasing heat buildup. Simple physics

Plus it'd be ugly... they're so beautiful the way they are... if you want to mod a laptop, go for iBook-- a G3 runs a lot cooler, and they're not so great looking anyway...

pnw
rainman::|:| is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2003, 03:27 PM   #15
jbomber
macrumors 6502a

for those who didn't see it the first time aound....

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,56085,00.html#
Old Jul 27, 2003, 04:10 PM   #16
rt_brained
macrumors 6502a

I'd go the anodized route, rather than powdercoat.
rt_brained is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2003, 04:47 PM   #17
janey
macrumors 603

i thought the aluminum powerbooks were anodized...making it slightly difficult to paint it...

janey is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2003, 04:53 PM   #18
DrGonzo
macrumors member

OK EVERYONE i retract my previous statement because we ALL KNOW painting your powerbook will increase internal temperatures by a magnitude of 10 fold.
Old Jul 27, 2003, 05:24 PM   #19
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

The point is that aluminum, being a metal, is a conductor of heat and electricity, while the paint is clearly not as great a conductor. Normally, heat is transferred from the inside of the PB to the surface layer so that the heat can be transferred to the air surrounding it, as well as though thermal radiation (infrared). However, the resistivity of the additional paint would slow down the process of heat transfer from the inside to the outer surface of the machine. and so heat may not escape the PB quickly enough to keep the inside cool.

Plus you'll void your warranty.
Old Jul 27, 2003, 05:44 PM   #20
Daveman Deluxe
macrumors 68000

übergeek has already said out that the AlBooks are already anodized. He's right.
Daveman Deluxe is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2003, 06:06 PM   #21
vniow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
übergeek has already said out that the AlBooks are already anodized. He's right.

[nitpick]She[/nitpick]
vniow is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2003, 06:10 PM   #22
Snowy_River
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to Snowy_River Send a message via Yahoo to Snowy_River
Across a thin layer of paint, the thermal gradient is going to be very small. The degree to which a layer of paint is going to insulate the ALBook is going to be pretty minor (though present, none the less). Now, powder-coat is another matter. Powder-coat will tend to be thicker, and is much more thermally insultating. I would not recommend powder-coating a PowerBook.

As far as the case being anodized, I don't know what implications this has for painting, but it has relatively little bearing on further anodization. Therefore, color could be added by further anodizing the case to a new color, though your choices would be limited, and a good anodizing shop would charge you a fair bit for the job.

Personally, I like the idea of painting some kind of custom logo on the back of my PB display. There would be no need to worry about heat issues with that, and, if I do it right, I can get a nice glow effect in the right parts of my logo...
Snowy_River is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2003, 06:10 PM   #23
Daveman Deluxe
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally posted by vniow
[nitpick]She[/nitpick]
Geez. I almost wrote "she" but wasn't quite sure.

I'm still stuck in the Dark Ages, using masculine pronouns for gender-neutral pronouns.

My apologies if any offense was taken.
Daveman Deluxe is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2003, 06:23 PM   #24
patrick0brien
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to patrick0brien Send a message via Yahoo to patrick0brien
-All

Of course the aluminum of the PowerBooks anodized. All aluminum released to the public is. Otherwise it would oxidize very quickly - I mean very.

Unfortunately, once anodized, it takes very special primer - don't ask me what - then paint to stay adhered to the surface.

Your best bet would be to re-anodize the aluminum with color in the electrolyte bath - which would involve de-anodizing it first.

The de-anodizing process would then thin the metal some. You need to know exactly what you are doing. Here is a good tutorial to strippping, polishing and anodizing Aluminum.

If you do go through with it, let us know!

BTW- I suggest you buddy-up with a reseller and see if you can get some factory-direct enclosure aluminum for the PowerBook. Removing the existing skin will probably damage it.
Old Jul 29, 2003, 02:22 AM   #25
jbomber
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally posted by vniow
[nitpick]She[/nitpick]
where'd the little lady get all the fancy book learnin' to be messin with them new-fangled computers?

that's what's wrong with this dang country now. [/redneck_rant]

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers