Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jul 27, 2003, 12:35 AM   #1
applemacdude
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to applemacdude Send a message via AIM to applemacdude Send a message via MSN to applemacdude Send a message via Yahoo to applemacdude Send a message via Skype™ to applemacdude
Which is a better deal?

Which is a better deal and video card in x? The radeon 7000 or the radeon mac edition?
applemacdude is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2003, 02:12 PM   #2
applemacdude
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to applemacdude Send a message via AIM to applemacdude Send a message via MSN to applemacdude Send a message via Yahoo to applemacdude Send a message via Skype™ to applemacdude
nobody?
Old Jul 27, 2003, 02:17 PM   #3
MacAztec
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to MacAztec
Graphics

Get the Radeon Mac Edition. It is an awesome card, and I have one. I am selling it, so let me know if you want to buy it.

I get like 100FPS in Quake III on my G4 400 with it. Its pretty good!
MacAztec is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2003, 03:19 PM   #4
panphage
macrumors 6502

I think the radeon is faster than the radeon 7000. And I know the 8500 is faster than the 9000.
panphage is offline   0
Old Jul 31, 2003, 08:48 PM   #5
applemacdude
Banned

Why is it better?
Old Jul 31, 2003, 09:31 PM   #6
actionslacks
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by panphage
I think the radeon is faster than the radeon 7000. And I know the 8500 is faster than the 9000.
I have the 9000 and I bet you are right. Anybody know why?
actionslacks is offline   0
Old Jul 31, 2003, 09:56 PM   #7
Delenn
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to Delenn
The Radeon 9000 is based on the same chipset/architecture of the 8500, but with less features and a lower GPU Clock Speed in order to be more affordable.
Delenn is offline   0
Old Aug 1, 2003, 03:03 PM   #8
applemacdude
Banned

What about the Radeon Mac Edition and the Radeon 7000?
Old Aug 5, 2003, 07:33 PM   #9
panphage
macrumors 6502

The Radeon Mac Edition has a 166MHz clock, is available in AGP flavor, and looks to have better refresh rates.

http://www.ati.com/products/radeon/r...ion/specs.html
The Radeon 7000 Mac Edition is available in PCI only. I can't find anything on it's clock.
http://www.ati.com/products/radeon70...0me/specs.html

Consider this:
"The Radeon 7000 differs in interesting ways from the 2001 Radeon. While it boasts a faster clock speed and dual-head capabilities, the card has been pared down with one less rendering pipeline and no Charisma Engine™ to perform Transform, Clipping, and Lighting (TCL) instructions. While these features are used in relatively few games on the Mac (or even the PC), those who like running their titles in 1600x1200 will want to read through the rest of the review closely to see how the FPS scores pan out. The Radeon 7000 isn’t necessarily targeted at hardcore gamers though, and --excluding a few nagging issues-- the $50 price drop from the 2001 Radeon will certainly increase its appeal across the board."

and "As a primary gaming card, you won’t be able to push as many FPS out of it as you would with the 2001 Radeon, but the $50 price difference and ability to run two monitors will likely be more important to many people."

from: http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=232

So, like most video card comparisons, it kinda depends on what you want to use the card for.
panphage is offline   0
Old Aug 5, 2003, 09:04 PM   #10
ZildjianKX

ATI (intentionally) fudged up their whole line of product names (to confuse the consumer I presume, they did a great job), since the 8500 is faster than the 9000... but its a higher product number... go figure.
ZildjianKX is offline   0
Old Aug 6, 2003, 09:50 PM   #11
applemacdude
Banned

So Ill get the radeon mac edition for ut and quake instead of the slower 7000 unless someone can change my mind

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers