Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jul 26, 2007, 04:04 PM   #1
aaron.lee2006
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to aaron.lee2006 Send a message via MSN to aaron.lee2006 Send a message via Skype™ to aaron.lee2006
With all the talk of brushed aluminum iMacs...

Just my personal opinion but I think this would be a fantastic idea. I am going to purchase an iMac soon and having it match the look of my MacBook Pro when they are on my desk would be sweet. But with Apple we know that it could always end up being like the Black MacBook charging $200 more just for the color. Hopefully we will see these though on August 7th.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 04:38 PM   #2
roland.g
macrumors 603

I doubt they will do a redesign to reduce the 'chin' and keep it white but also offer a Pro skin for a premium. If they do this the 24" iMac spec'd well would approach Mac Pro + 23" ACD prices. However, at one point I would have thought it possible to have 20" & 24" iMacs remain white while introducing a 27" version in aluminum with 2 internal HDDs. Again, price point wise, I don't see this happening. I would be one to pay the extra $200 but really I would probably get a Mac Pro & Display at that point, though I don't really want a tower - at least not one that big .
Old Jul 26, 2007, 08:31 PM   #3
aranhil
macrumors newbie

No, this is a bad idea. I'm buying an iMac next month and if I see the new one becoming aluminum I will definitely buy their leftover ones from the old generation. The small Macbook is always plastic and white and cute while the Macbook pro is always brushed aluminum. That's the way it was meant to be. Now, if the iMac, which had been plastic and white and cute ever since ever, turns metallic, it's gonna go to the PRO side. No no, that's not where it should be, that's Mac Pro's place. Apple is going to make a mistake if they make iMac aluminum, cause that's gonna depress buyers who love the cute white thingy. Just look at how inconvincing the shuffle and the nano have become. Now I'm resorted to only buying the video. I hope this transformation stops right here.
aranhil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 09:12 PM   #4
dirtleg
macrumors member

I've been reading all the speculation about the new iMac's and the 'brushed aluminum' look. Here's what I am thinking. Since this has been an established look on many Mac products and since the tid bits from Apple described an 'industrial' look to the new iMac I am thinking there will be a total turn around in the look of the iMac. The look will be an anodized aluminum face with a darker grey or almost a charcoal color body. Maybe some clear acrylic trim around the DVD slot and the connection points. I just have the feeling that Apple is far too creative to simply give the current iMac a face lift. It has been over a year since this style was introduced and with Leopard, iPhone, new iPods and all the other 'new' products, I just think they will make a bigger splash than that with a totally new look to the iMac. Something very much industrial looking, but still sleek and different from everything else on the market.

It would be ok with me. I am not buying just for the style of the box, I need the guts upgrade.
dirtleg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 02:41 AM   #5
indraunt
macrumors newbie

Taking a clue from the rumoured new keyboard, I'll bet a new iMac will be a similar colour - slightly golden. Knowing Apple, they tend to like things to match, but we'll see what happens.
indraunt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 03:23 AM   #6
hawaiian
macrumors member

Location: Born and raised in Honolulu. Currently living in Tokyo.
I thought it was only $50 for the color and the other $150 was for the hard drive...

There seems to be a lot of rumors floating around the August 7th date. I hope they finally do come out with a new one. I'm going to get my mother one as soon as the new ones get released.
hawaiian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 05:13 AM   #7
mrmjd
macrumors regular

The Mighty Mouse sure is gonna look sh*te against this alleged new keyboard and an aluminum cased iMac!
mrmjd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 04:54 PM   #8
Cfour
Banned

Id personally love to see them keep the current white and the option of gloss black. Would be tres appealing.
Im not a fan of the ally myself...
And Id also like to see the new keyboard be one colour or the other, not like the spy shots (I hope) that appeared the other day with the white keys on ally body.

Cfour
Cfour is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 06:41 PM   #9
iW00t
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aranhil View Post
No, this is a bad idea. I'm buying an iMac next month and if I see the new one becoming aluminum I will definitely buy their leftover ones from the old generation. The small Macbook is always plastic and white and cute while the Macbook pro is always brushed aluminum. That's the way it was meant to be. Now, if the iMac, which had been plastic and white and cute ever since ever, turns metallic, it's gonna go to the PRO side. No no, that's not where it should be, that's Mac Pro's place. Apple is going to make a mistake if they make iMac aluminum, cause that's gonna depress buyers who love the cute white thingy. Just look at how inconvincing the shuffle and the nano have become. Now I'm resorted to only buying the video. I hope this transformation stops right here.
Erm, that is just silly. The new aluminum Nanos are so much more scratch resistant compared to the old ones. Have you actually owned and used a 1st gen Nano?
iW00t is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 03:50 PM   #10
neven
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Just look at how inconvincing the shuffle and the nano have become. Now I'm resorted to only buying the video. I hope this transformation stops right here.
Inconvincing? What do you think they're trying to convince you of?

They're the most popular iPods, and with good reason. They're stylish, tiny, durable, and much more scratch-resistant than the plastic ones. Like iW00t said - have you actually owned both generations of Nanos? The difference in feel and quality is stunning.
neven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 04:43 PM   #11
harveypooka
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtleg View Post
...I am not buying just for the style of the box, I need the guts upgrade.
Agree completely.
harveypooka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 06:22 PM   #12
mongoos150
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
No, this is a bad idea. I'm buying an iMac next month and if I see the new one becoming aluminum I will definitely buy their leftover ones from the old generation. The small Macbook is always plastic and white and cute while the Macbook pro is always brushed aluminum. That's the way it was meant to be. Now, if the iMac, which had been plastic and white and cute ever since ever, turns metallic, it's gonna go to the PRO side. No no, that's not where it should be, that's Mac Pro's place.
Segregation!
Old Jul 30, 2007, 06:45 PM   #13
mathwhiz90601
macrumors 6502

I see new iMacs, new keyboards, and new mice all updated with a new, compatible look. What that compatible look will be, who knows?
Old Jul 30, 2007, 07:12 PM   #14
mongoos150
macrumors 6502a

Thumbs up

^^ Wow, you have some archaic equipment. I'd be quite excited about a new iMac - much more excited than I am about upgrading my current 24 incher (which is a lot)!
Old Jul 30, 2007, 07:55 PM   #15
mathwhiz90601
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoos150 View Post
^^ Wow, you have some archaic equipment. I'd be quite excited about a new iMac - much more excited than I am about upgrading my current 24 incher (which is a lot)!
Yeah, I do. Can't wait. BTW the 100 mhz is an emulated system on the PC.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 08:40 PM   #16
Yaris
macrumors regular

I'm also a fan of the idea of a nano-like exterior on the new iMacs. I think the should look a bit like the nano in terms of shape. Here is something I whipped up. I think it looks pretty nice.

Last edited by Yaris; Jul 30, 2007 at 08:41 PM. Reason: included picture
Yaris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 09:17 PM   #17
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris View Post
I'm also a fan of the idea of a nano-like exterior on the new iMacs. I think the should look a bit like the nano in terms of shape. Here is something I whipped up. I think it looks pretty nice.

For once... not a bad mockup... it's simple... and that is definitely Apple. If they made a 24" in black I would buy one or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathwhiz90601 View Post
I see new iMacs, new keyboards, and new mice all updated with a new, compatible look. What that compatible look will be, who knows?
If it's anything like the rumored new keyboard then it will look like crap and the iiMac's USB ports will be scattered all over the place.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 09:34 PM   #18
LoganT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris View Post

Great picture. Could you do it in the iPod nano black style?
LoganT is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac