Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macsimus prime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
Canuck
It wasn't pretty. I don't yet have that hard-to-find molex adapter to power the 8800GTS card yet (local dealer and Apple Canada didn't know what I was talking about). As a temp fix, I ran the 6-pin power chord from my PC's guts (been building my own for about 15 years) into the guts of my Mac and attached to to the 8800GTS. (see the attached pic). I installed the driver for WinXP and wham! it soared to a respectable 9826 on 3dMark. My Mac's spec when running Windows under BootCamp is:

Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad Core Zeon (2X Dual core 64 bit w/1333MHZ front side bus)
3GB Ram
Single 250GB Western Digital Caviar 8mb cache
Windows XP SP2 (32 bit) w/Direct X 9.0c
the GeForce 8800GTS 640MB with latest driver for XP

Found this 5.25 inch power supply on the web, which I might consider using in lieu of powering it from the board....reason is I want to still run my 7300GT for a 3 monitor set up and Mac Pro's guide says don't draw more than 300W total for PCI-e cards....the GeForce 8800 GTS alone takes 24A peak at 12V.

So then I put the card back into my PC and ran it on 3dMark which I hadn't done yet. Here are my comparable PC specs:

Asus M2N-E mobo
AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 4200+ CPU
4GB Ram (effectively 3.5GB only under 32 bit Vista)
Two 160GB 16mb cache Seagate Barracudas in Raid 0
Windows Vista Ultimate (32 bit)w/DirectX 10
the GeForce 8800GTS 640MB with latest driver for Vista

It scored 7030.

The greatest lesson I learned? Apple is completely unprepared for the wave of "PC Enthusiasts" about to invade their shores with all kinds of demands for weird parts for modding and customizing. I think they're seeing the past with a market of folks who buys Macs precisely because they don't homebrew-and are frustrated trying get Windows to work-and to the future at technology that won't need (or allow?) any homebrewing anymore (so they think;-). Which leaves us mod-happy PC converts in the middle somehere risking our Pro's to try wierd things to make it go faster.

But I'm proud and impressed with what I could do with my Pro tonight and glad to be back.

ps the following picture will seem odd and even offensive to some old-time Mac users and downright sexy to PC enthusiasts. In the background is my 3dMark score.

Attachments

• geforce experiment.jpg
    geforce experiment.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 686

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Nice. There's no doubt in my mind that the Mac Pro's are just breathtaking systems, but then they're more workstation than desktop and similar components are now quite readily available in the Windows world at PC prices.

I think Apple will always have very tight control over the hardware that works in their machines. Their whole hardware/software mantra is based around tight integration, and the only way to effectively manage that is to keep the hardware range to a minimum.

macsimus prime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
Canuck
an ex-PC guy waxes phiosophical about it all....

It is true that it's always been hard to customize Macs, if not impossible, but I almost get the impression that now it's not because Apple opposes supporting a little of that, they just don't seem to care whether we do or not. If Apple was opposed to users meddling with the hardware, they didn't show it by buiding a machine that could finally make it possible, particularly by making it Windows compatible. It's not Apple's hardware that stopping us from trying stuff, it's the drivers, the software they didn't develop.

I say forget about taking months and years to build a Mac-compatible piece of ATI video hardware; just code up a mac driver to run an 8800GTS just as it is.

So with this machine, they allow for this kind of experimentation, they just don't take the extra step and support it with a little work like developing drivers or teaching their techs about that little cable we all need. The hardest part now is that Apple doesn't need to the money of the enthusiast market that's coming over anyway.

So I predict that third parties will begin to step in and we'll find that little 'mini-fit' Molex cable and such, a little more available someday soon.

Meantime, the challenge has made being a hardware hack that much more intriguing again, like the efforts this fellow goes through to make that cable himself.

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
It wasn't pretty. I don't yet have that hard-to-find molex adapter to power the 8800GTS card yet (local dealer and Apple Canada didn't know what I was talking about). As a temp fix, I ran the 6-pin power chord from my PC's guts (been building my own for about 15 years) into the guts of my Mac and attached to to the 8800GTS. (see the attached pic). I installed the driver for WinXP and wham! it soared to a respectable 9826 on 3dMark.

You are a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
I'd never begin to try something like that.
But if it works, good for you!

macsimus prime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
Canuck
I upgraded my card in my mac pro as well. this is the power cable i used. works perfectly.

http://www.welovemacs.com/9227128.html

Thanks eMagine. Yep, that's the one. I'll be trying to find it locally today, not optimistic.

If others have subbed Mac cards for Windows compatible cards and made alternate arrangements for power, a post here on what you did would be appreciated.

macsimus prime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
Canuck
Do these card upgrades only apply to the Windows Boot? Do you still need to remove the new card to get OS X to boot? I seem to remember all sorts of little annoying issues with doing this. Have those been resolved?

Cheers,

Yes, this card will only work under the Windows boot :(. My next experiment is to leave the original card that came with my Pro (7300GT) in the case with the 8800 and run one monitor to the 7300, one to the 8800 and ensure OSX will be ok. Will get back to this forum with my result...and if the riddle about swapping quad core Zeon CPUs with the Dual cores has not been fully resolved with the year, I intend to try that too one day.

Any know of conclusive evidence we can just swap out our duals for quads?

macsimus prime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
Canuck
Anandtech, but....

Anandtech did it ages back...

Yeah, read that quite a while ago. But it's the part about "We can't say with 100% certainty that you will be able to upgrade to Clovertown when it comes out, but so far the results are looking good.":confused: He was using "betas" and so my question extends a little further...can we ramp this certainty up to 100%?

Searched a little more and found it done again in other places...now I'm fully satisfied.

-http://www.hardmac.com/articles/70/ Again, using the pre-production engineering CPU's

-http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6663792.html Once again using (beta?) Quad cores before the Octo-core Pro was publicly on the market.

-http://www.o0o.it/pro/. Here finally a Mac Pro CPU swap done with current market Quad core Zeons at 1.86Ghz, then modded up to 2.33...these chips for sale in Canada for $350 (http://www.memoryexpress.com/index....ProductDetail.php&DisplayProductID=10369&SID=)

flappo

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
in the cubicles
i have to ask what's the point of a card like that on a mac ?

which leads me to question why exactly people are waiting for an updated videocard when there's nothing on the mac that even stresses the x1900 let alone an updated version

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Mac Pro's are workstation machines and not gaming. I recommend that people build a separate Core 2 Duo machine (Very cheap nowadays, even with a single Quad Core running at $280) and use that for gaming. Leave the Mac alone, it's using a server motherboard and server CPUs and worse (for gaming) server ECC RAM @ DDR2 530...DDR3 800 is already out so why bother with the Mac which wasn't designed for what you guys are trying to do in the first place? But oh well, it's your Mac and you can do whatever you want with it :)

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
Thanks eMagine. Yep, that's the one. I'll be trying to find it locally today, not optimistic.

If others have subbed Mac cards for Windows compatible cards and made alternate arrangements for power, a post here on what you did would be appreciated.

I bought an X1900 for windows and flashed it for use in the mac pro.

Personally, I bought the cable from welovemacs. I stress all other options first, however, because welovemacs charges $30 for the $10 replacement part.

If you really want to be thrifty, however, the thing to do seems to be to make your own:
http://www.tenthousandpercent.com/?article=96&section=other

You can do it for under $3.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Exactly. So stop stirring the pot. :rolleyes:

Noone is trying to "stir the pot" just explaining what the Mac Pro is for :cool:
People expect the Mac Pro to be using regular P965 chipsets (Consumer) when in reality even the box says "Workstation Class".

You can get pissed off at the iMac for not doing that because it is a "consumer" device...and even then, we all know Apple is really tight on their hardware specs and doesn't allow any room for personal modifications unless you're a techie.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
Noone is trying to "stir the pot" just explaining what the Mac Pro is for :cool:
People expect the Mac Pro to be using regular P965 chipsets (Consumer) when in reality even the box says "Workstation Class".

You can get pissed off at the iMac for not doing that because it is a "consumer" device...and even then, we all know Apple is really tight on their hardware specs and doesn't allow any room for personal modifications unless you're a techie.

Well you can a least reference the P35 chipsets... you know since those are available to buy and what not. P965 is so early 2007 :cool:

Oh yeah, and there is the new X38 (975X replacement). The Bone Trail, heh. http://forums.legitreviews.com/about10254.html

Just keeping it current. Carry on.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Yeah the P5K Asus mobos carry the new chipsets, if I'm not mistaken. I can't believe these CPU's are so cheap now. You can actually build a pretty top of the line computer for $1,000. Crazy.

macsimus prime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
Canuck
i have to ask what's the point of a card like that on a mac ?

Because we're old enough to still be affected by Oscar Goldman telling us "faster...stronger....better. We can rebuild [it]."

Actually yours is a good question...I've sat with buddies around a table full of a gutted PC and wires and cards as we upgraded a machine and asked ourselves why were upgrading perfectly fast machines. Then we went back to work. Absurd as it sounds, the answer lies somewhere in not asking the question....sort of "because the upgrade is there".

But since you asked, for me it's mainly because I already own the card and I need more power for my three monitors to run Flight Sim X full on. Even a Pro with 256MB card can't provide the oomph. Which is what now drives the Pro to upgrade realms...the insatiable demand games, especially Windows-based games, have put on systems to be stronger, faster, better. "We can rebuild it."

macsimus prime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
Canuck
Mac Pro's are workstation machines and not gaming

That used to be true, then they went Intel, allowed for Windows, and now they are both workstations and great gaming rigs if that's what you want.

Sometimes I am a sophisticated power-user respecting the engineering that is a Macintosh workstation, other times I'm a hack giddy about pumping up my Pro's innards just because I can.

To be honest, at times I find the whole dichotomy a little tiring....

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
That used to be true, then they went Intel, allowed for Windows, and now they are both workstations and great gaming rigs if that's what you want.

Sometimes I am a sophisticated power-user respecting the engineering that is a Macintosh workstation, other times I'm a hack giddy about pumping up my Pro's innards just because I can.

To be honest, at times I find the whole dichotomy a little tiring....

Not true. Even on the PC side, people who have Xeon Workstation machines (such as HP workstations) rarely play games. Workstation motherboards usually have slow PCIe slots and slower RAM, compared to "consumer" Core 2 Duo lines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.