Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jul 27, 2003, 05:02 PM   #1
Nawlins
macrumors member

Issues and Experiences With My New Mac

A few things about the computer itself:
I've used Macs at school a little bit - old iMacs, PowerMacs and iBooks - all without OS X. I bought my first Mac on Friday for college - a 12" Powerbook, 40 gig hard drive, 640 mb of RAM. I like how I can change the size of the dock, and even move the places of items in the dock. I'm unable to move around my minimized windows on any Windows OS, which I've always found cumbersome. I've also noticed my Powerbook is much quieter than any PC laptop I've used before. Some Dell laptops I've used are simply roaring.

I love Safari - it looks great and is really easy to use. I had a few problems accessing pages - I couldn't get to a few thinktank pages I occasionaly use for research, such as the Cato Institute, or The Nation, a left-wing publication I read, but so far that hasn't been too bad. I was surprised, though, that I was unable to access the website of PC Magazine (www.pcmag.com). Safari has significantly less clutter compared to IE, and it displays web pages much sharper and cleaner than IE.

iChat is a convenience and is much more simple than AIM on PC's. I especially like how I'm able to organize my buddy list by people who are available, idle, and away.

I used the iTunes Music Store for the first time today, and it was a good experience. The first thing I liked about it much more than Kazaa was the lack of any ads. The store is easy to navigate, and it's extremely easy to purchase music. I bought 1 album and a few individual songs. The song selection could always be a bit bigger - it's missing some very popular bands: The Beatles, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Linkin Park, and Metallica (yes, I'm aware not every macrumors.com user likes those groups, but there are a lot of people who do, so please, let's not get into a big argument about which bands are good or bad), but I don't mind too much. I own or know someone who owns CD's by the aforementioned groups, so I'll just rip them onto my Powerbook. By the way, purchasing "Freebird," a 9:10 song, for only 99 cents was a fabulous deal.

Tonight I'm going to try to sync my Palm with my Mac, and watch a DVD on it. I'll check this thread later to see if anyone posts some tips for the problems I've encountered.

Alex
Nawlins is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2003, 05:12 PM   #2
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Re: Issues and Experiences With My New Mac

Quote:
Originally posted by Nawlins
I was surprised, though, that I was unable to access the website of PC Magazine (www.pcmag.com). Safari has significantly less clutter compared to IE, and it displays web pages much sharper and cleaner than IE.

pcmag.com opened for me without obvious problems. What problem did you run into?

You running the latest Safari? I've got 1.0 (v85)

arn
arn is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2003, 05:19 PM   #3
Schiffi
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Schiffi Send a message via Yahoo to Schiffi
don't forget to download Apple's Palm conduit. It syncs your Palm with iCal and the OSX Address book instead of Palm's seperate apps. Also download VLC (videolan.org). It plays some DVDs better than the OSX DVD player. Like TV episodes on DVD, which looked chopped up due to no de-interlace option in OSX's DVD player.
Old Jul 27, 2003, 05:29 PM   #4
madforrit
macrumors regular

Re: Issues and Experiences With My New Mac

Quote:
I love Safari - it looks great and is really easy to use. I had a few problems accessing pages - I couldn't get to a few thinktank pages I occasionaly use for research, such as the Cato Institute, or The Nation, a left-wing publication I read, but so far that hasn't been too bad. I was surprised, though, that I was unable to access the website of PC Magazine (www.pcmag.com). Safari has significantly less clutter compared to IE, and it displays web pages much sharper and cleaner than IE.

Congrats on your mac purchase! As for web trouble, you might want to check the preferences in Safari. Safari>Preferences>Security and make sure Java and Javascript are enabled. This might explain why some websites that use Java don't work properly. I remember when I first got Safari Java was disabled. Good luck.
madforrit is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2003, 07:44 PM   #5
Nawlins
macrumors member

Arn - Funny, I tried accessing the 3 pages I was unable to earlier, and they all worked.

Schiffi - Do you know a link to where I can download Apple's Palm conduit?

Thanks for the help guys - Alex
Nawlins is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2003, 08:12 PM   #6
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
Hey-- Just for the record, it's not a matter of which bands are good or bad... some bands absolutely refuse to sign, evidently they don't like money... rather, they want their songs pirated. There are many notable artists missing, hopefully we'll see more soon (Apple adds songs continually and are working hard on getting those elusive mainstream and scattered Indie bands to sign...

So keep checking, it only gets better

pnw
rainman::|:| is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2003, 08:20 PM   #7
Freg3000
macrumors 68000

Quote:
A
Schiffi - Do you know a link to where I can download Apple's Palm conduit?
First off, welcome.

Secondly, Palm Conduit

It should download immediately and launch Installer asking you if you want to install.

Good Luck.
Old Jul 27, 2003, 08:26 PM   #8
tpjunkie
macrumors 65816

Welcome to mac ownership, and mac rumors! hope you're enjoying the "new car" feel of your new powerbook!
tpjunkie is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers