Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jul 27, 2003, 05:18 PM   #1
beefcake
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to beefcake
External Speakers for Powerbook/iPod

I'm looking for something with a little more power than the built-in speakers on the TiBook that can also be connected to an iPod. I was looking into a set of Fostex PS 3.1 that I could get for $80. I wouldn't want to spend any more than that; I'd even like to find a cheaper alternative. For those of you with a Powerbook or iPod, what have you had success with/recommend?
beefcake is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2003, 05:47 PM   #2
Kwyjibo
macrumors 68040

Check out the monsoon planar media series at www.monsoonaudio.com they are great I use them daily with my iBook and iPod and they will look really tight next to your powerbook
Kwyjibo is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2003, 05:54 PM   #3
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
Well, for a true Apple solution, you can use their Pro Speakers with the Griffin iFire for both of those purposes... unfortunately it would run about a hundred bucks... it's what i would probably do tho...

pnw
rainman::|:| is offline   0
Old Jul 27, 2003, 06:09 PM   #4
Daveman Deluxe
macrumors 68000

Check out Altec Lansing's line of speakers. http://www.alteclansing.com
Daveman Deluxe is offline   0
Old Jul 29, 2003, 10:04 AM   #5
beefcake
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to beefcake
Will any PC speakers work with the PB/iPod? Or do I have to check outputs to make sure I don't end up blowing anything out?
beefcake is offline   0
Old Jul 29, 2003, 10:22 AM   #6
irmongoose
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally posted by beefcake
Will any PC speakers work with the PB/iPod? Or do I have to check outputs to make sure I don't end up blowing anything out?
There's no such thing as 'PC speakers'... they all use normal mini-outputs, so you can use them with computers, mp3 players, MD players, anything.

irmongoose
Old Jul 29, 2003, 10:25 AM   #7
King Cobra

Send a message via AIM to King Cobra
PC or Mac, it doesn't matters.

Speakers are just what is at one of an audio cable. The other end goes into an audio out port. You could hook up a set of Yahamas from 8 years ago from an older PC/Linux machine with the same audio connection today's machines use and have them work for your Mac/PC.

BTW: Cambridge Soundworks
King Cobra is offline   0
Old Jul 29, 2003, 11:31 AM   #8
jimthorn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally posted by paulwhannel
Well, for a true Apple solution, you can use their Pro Speakers with the Griffin iFire for both of those purposes... unfortunately it would run about a hundred bucks... it's what i would probably do tho...
A great suggestion, though the iFire isn't available yet ("end of summer"). Also, it shouldn't run you a hundred bucks... You can buy new Apple Pro Speakers on eBay pretty cheap, since a lot of people got them with their G4 but didn't want them (I got a pair for $25 new in box that way).
Old Jul 29, 2003, 12:12 PM   #9
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
Quote:
Originally posted by jimthorn
A great suggestion, though the iFire isn't available yet ("end of summer"). Also, it shouldn't run you a hundred bucks... You can buy new Apple Pro Speakers on eBay pretty cheap, since a lot of people got them with their G4 but didn't want them (I got a pair for $25 new in box that way).
Good points, I didn't even think of eBay-- That would certainly bring the price down...

for the record, regarding the discussion above, some speaker systems inexplicably use USB connections rather than minijack... Meaning that some can actually be platform specific. I don't know of any USB speakers that won't work on both Mac/PC, but it's technically possible. But USB speakers really have no advantage over minijack, so stick with that--

pnw
rainman::|:| is offline   0
Old Jul 29, 2003, 01:58 PM   #10
rhpenguin
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to rhpenguin Send a message via AIM to rhpenguin Send a message via MSN to rhpenguin
Logitech makes some pretty slammin speakers. I have the Z560's and they pound. They're over the ammount you wanted to spend, but they are only like $150 total. Probably the best value in "multimedia" speakers to date.

Here is a link. Its more than you wanted to spend but I think in the long run you would be happier with something with this kind of performance. And just a side note, these things blow away my home stereo.

Go with the Logitechs!
rhpenguin is offline   0
Old Jul 29, 2003, 02:39 PM   #11
iJon
macrumors 604

get the creature speakers. dont get the pro speakers, they are weak and overpriced. creature speakers sound just about as good as the soundsticks and will work with the ipod or a pc and they are cheaper. i listen to the soundsticks, pro speakers, and creatures everyday and creatures are my favorite.

iJon
iJon is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers