Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beefcake

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2003
Baltimore
I'm looking for something with a little more power than the built-in speakers on the TiBook that can also be connected to an iPod. I was looking into a set of Fostex PS 3.1 that I could get for $80. I wouldn't want to spend any more than that; I'd even like to find a cheaper alternative. For those of you with a Powerbook or iPod, what have you had success with/recommend?

beefcake

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 22, 2003
Baltimore
Will any PC speakers work with the PB/iPod? Or do I have to check outputs to make sure I don't end up blowing anything out?

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by beefcake
Will any PC speakers work with the PB/iPod? Or do I have to check outputs to make sure I don't end up blowing anything out?

There's no such thing as 'PC speakers'... they all use normal mini-outputs, so you can use them with computers, mp3 players, MD players, anything.

irmongoose

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
PC or Mac, it doesn't matters.

Speakers are just what is at one of an audio cable. The other end goes into an audio out port. You could hook up a set of Yahamas from 8 years ago from an older PC/Linux machine with the same audio connection today's machines use and have them work for your Mac/PC.

BTW: Cambridge Soundworks

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Originally posted by paulwhannel
Well, for a true Apple solution, you can use their Pro Speakers with the Griffin iFire for both of those purposes... unfortunately it would run about a hundred bucks... it's what i would probably do tho...

A great suggestion, though the iFire isn't available yet ("end of summer"). Also, it shouldn't run you a hundred bucks... You can buy new Apple Pro Speakers on eBay pretty cheap, since a lot of people got them with their G4 but didn't want them (I got a pair for $25 new in box that way).

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by jimthorn
A great suggestion, though the iFire isn't available yet ("end of summer"). Also, it shouldn't run you a hundred bucks... You can buy new Apple Pro Speakers on eBay pretty cheap, since a lot of people got them with their G4 but didn't want them (I got a pair for $25 new in box that way).

Good points, I didn't even think of eBay-- That would certainly bring the price down...

for the record, regarding the discussion above, some speaker systems inexplicably use USB connections rather than minijack... Meaning that some can actually be platform specific. I don't know of any USB speakers that won't work on both Mac/PC, but it's technically possible. But USB speakers really have no advantage over minijack, so stick with that--

pnw

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario
Logitech makes some pretty slammin speakers. I have the Z560's and they pound. They're over the ammount you wanted to spend, but they are only like $150 total. Probably the best value in "multimedia" speakers to date.

Here is a link. Its more than you wanted to spend but I think in the long run you would be happier with something with this kind of performance. And just a side note, these things blow away my home stereo.

Go with the Logitechs!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
get the creature speakers. dont get the pro speakers, they are weak and overpriced. creature speakers sound just about as good as the soundsticks and will work with the ipod or a pc and they are cheaper. i listen to the soundsticks, pro speakers, and creatures everyday and creatures are my favorite.

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.