Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Jul 27, 2007, 05:52 PM   #1
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Writing Documentation

I have realised that the source code for my application is well, very poor, so I've been trying to get my documentation up to scratch, I tried using HeaderDoc, but Apple seem to have abandoned it and it is very buggy (it adds a month to dates, so thinks today is the 27th August) and it is difficult to get to parse the code.

Anyhow what can I use? I am programming in Objective C so sadly (I guess) can't use Javadoc, which is excellent.

EDIT: Attached is the relevent header file, and the documentation folder in a zip, apart from the dates I may be being a little unfair about HeaderDoc so I'll take another look tomorrow, but good documentation comments are still welcome.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Archive.zip (16.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Eraserhead; Jul 27, 2007 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Adding attachment/edit
Eraserhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2007, 06:24 PM   #2
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
I have realised that the source code for my application is well, very poor, so I've been trying to get my documentation up to scratch, I tried using HeaderDoc, but Apple seem to have abandoned it and it is very buggy (it adds a month to dates, so thinks today is the 27th August) and it is difficult to get to parse the code.

Anyhow what can I use? I am programming in Objective C so sadly (I guess) can't use Javadoc, which is excellent.
Personally I think the most important thing is writing code that is readable, using identifiers that express clearly what they mean. Objective C has the additional advantage that parameter names are visible in each call. If I can look at the source code of a function and understand immediately what it does, then I don't need any documentation.

Beyond that, it is useful to have documentation that explains how a class is used. Automatic tools usually don't do that, because they just document individual functions. And as I said, with well-written code that kind of documentation doesn't add very much.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming