Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jul 27, 2007, 11:26 PM   #1
gauchogolfer
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gauchogolfer Send a message via Yahoo to gauchogolfer Send a message via Skype™ to gauchogolfer
Connecting via Remote Desktop to work via VPN

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to connect to my Windows box at work from my powerbook at home. I can VPN into the company intranet just fine from either my home Mac or home Windows machine. On my PC I can then fire up Remote Desktop Connection, type in the machine ID (something like zkaljf89374dkj, rather than an IP address), and presto I'm in. I've tried to do the same thing with both Chicken of the VNC and Apple Remote Desktop, with no luck.
Any ideas what I should look at with either of these programs? Mainly I'm looking for a place to enter in this machine ID name, rather than IP address.

Thanks.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 11:38 PM   #2
danny_w
macrumors 601

Download Remote Desktop Client for Mac from Microsoft. VNC will not connect to Remote Desktop on the pc.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloa...gnosysreq=True
Old Jul 27, 2007, 11:45 PM   #3
MacBlackBook22
macrumors 6502

The only way I can connect to my windows desktop computer when away from my home network via my macbook is by dialing in my IP address. I use the Remote desktop client on the macbook. It won't connect using the "name" assigned to the windows computer.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 02:54 AM   #4
gauchogolfer
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gauchogolfer Send a message via Yahoo to gauchogolfer Send a message via Skype™ to gauchogolfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_w View Post
Download Remote Desktop Client for Mac from Microsoft. VNC will not connect to Remote Desktop on the pc.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloa...gnosysreq=True
Thanks for the link, I'll give it a try this weekend.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 11:55 PM   #5
gauchogolfer
macrumors 601

Update:
So, I've downloaded both the RDC from Windows (along with the new beta version) as well as CoRD. So far none of them let me access my work machine. I can do it with no difficulty from my Windows box right next to my powerbook. The only difference between them is I'm on WiFi with the Mac.

Any ideas why I might be getting a 'this computer not found' on the Mac, and not the PC?

Thanks.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 12:20 AM   #6
product26
macrumors 6502a

You will need to enter the IP address not a machine ID

If you are working over a VPN make sure you use the computers local IP.

If you are connecting over the internet, make sure the port is forwarded properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchogolfer View Post
Update:
So, I've downloaded both the RDC from Windows (along with the new beta version) as well as CoRD. So far none of them let me access my work machine. I can do it with no difficulty from my Windows box right next to my powerbook. The only difference between them is I'm on WiFi with the Mac.

Any ideas why I might be getting a 'this computer not found' on the Mac, and not the PC?

Thanks.
product26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 12:22 AM   #7
gauchogolfer
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by product26 View Post
You will need to enter the IP address not a machine ID

If you are working over a VPN make sure you use the computers local IP.

If you are connecting over the internet, make sure the port is forwarded properly.
But, shouldn't this also apply when connecting from my Windows box? I don't understand why once I'm inside the VPN, I can't just use my machine name as normal.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 12:30 AM   #8
hopejr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
But, shouldn't this also apply when connecting from my Windows box? I don't understand why once I'm inside the VPN, I can't just use my machine name as normal.
Windows would be resolving it as a netbios name. OS X doesn't do that because netbios is a Windows thing. You will need to enter the ip address because of this.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 08:48 AM   #9
gauchogolfer
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopejr View Post
Windows would be resolving it as a netbios name. OS X doesn't do that because netbios is a Windows thing. You will need to enter the ip address because of this.
Thanks for this explanation. I will try and find my IP address today and see if that works.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 09:57 AM   #10
gauchogolfer
macrumors 601

OK, so my work PC gets its address assigned dynamically. Am I out of luck to connect from my home Mac?

I still don't understand why I can't just use my machine name, rather than an IP address. Since I'm connecting with Microsoft's own RDC client, shouldn't it behave the same whether or not I'm running it on a PC or Mac? Once I'm inside the VPN I would imagine everything works equally.

Help?
Old Aug 1, 2007, 10:27 AM   #11
panzer06
macrumors 68030

Quote:
OK, so my work PC gets its address assigned dynamically. Am I out of luck to connect from my home Mac?

I still don't understand why I can't just use my machine name, rather than an IP address. Since I'm connecting with Microsoft's own RDC client, shouldn't it behave the same whether or not I'm running it on a PC or Mac? Once I'm inside the VPN I would imagine everything works equally.

Help?
This is almost always a DNS issue. All you need to do is add the DNS entry for your office DNS to the Mac under system preferences - network - airport. On mine this does not override any automatically assigned DNS for your local (home) network.

if you make a mistake you can make it so you can't even get on the internet from home.

Before attempting this you can verify how name resolution is being performed on your windows systems and your Mac.

Note: Make sure you are connected to work via VPN on both systems.

On the Windows system open up a command window by clicking on start and then run (provided you have run on the start menu) and type in cmd.

On the mac look in applications, utilities and open terminal.

On both systems type in nslookup

you get a > prompt

At this prompt type server and press enter

The response is the ip address (and sometimes name) of the DNS server that handles name resolution.

you will be back at the > prompt.

(if you get different responses on the Mac and PC, you may temporarily force a new DNS server on the mac by typing Server ipaddress (which is the ipaddress of the DNS server from the working PC)

Type in the name of the PC you are trying to control and press enter

The response should provide the dns server name and address and the fully qualified domain name and address of the target PC.

If I am correct you will not get a proper response on the Mac.

There are so many variables with regard to proper DNS configuration and Windows DNS vs. Unix based DNS

Windows DNS machines can pass information from AD and back and forward to each other so long as they are within the same domain.

Read up on this or PM me and I can talk you through it.

Of course you may wish to just get the ipaddress of your work system and forget all this complexity (just go to a command prompt on the office PC and type ipconfig - the response will be the ip address and name of your PC)

Cheers,
Old Aug 1, 2007, 11:08 AM   #12
gauchogolfer
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzer06 View Post

Before attempting this you can verify how name resolution is being performed on your windows systems and your Mac.

Note: Make sure you are connected to work via VPN on both systems.

<snip loads of detailed help>

Cheers,
Thanks for the great walkthrough. I'll give it a try this evening and see how it goes.

Update: I was able to connect to my work machine finally, by looking up the IP address. I guess it will just take some time to see how often they assign new IPs via DHCP.
Thanks again.

Last edited by gauchogolfer; Aug 1, 2007 at 11:28 PM.
gauchogolfer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2007, 10:07 AM   #13
panzer06
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Thanks for the great walkthrough. I'll give it a try this evening and see how it goes.

Update: I was able to connect to my work machine finally, by looking up the IP address. I guess it will just take some time to see how often they assign new IPs via DHCP.
Thanks again.
As long as the Windows PC at work stays on (or is powered up within the renewal timeframe), it will be reassigned the same ip idefinately (unless they change address schemes or scopes).

Glad to see you got it working and now you know how to review DNS and IP on your own.

Cheers,
Old Dec 9, 2011, 02:41 PM   #14
Thak
macrumors newbie

I have the same problem.
I had no internet when i have turned on TunnelBlick connection to open VPN.
I have to disable DNS on details.

Now it works fine with internet.. i am connected, but .. i cannot ping my ip address.. on Windows I can ping it, so that is why i cannoct connect to it via Microsoft RDC.

any idea why i cannot ping it? Firewall is OFF.
Thak is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help