Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jul 28, 2003, 02:24 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Moving your Mac OS X user's home folders to a separate part...

Category: Tips and How To's
Link: Moving your Mac OS X user's home folders to a separate partition

Posted on MacBytes.com
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jul 28, 2003, 09:43 AM   #2
Mudbug
Administrator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mudbug Send a message via Skype™ to Mudbug
This is nicely timed... I was honestly wondering this EXACT thing last night when posting stuff to my website. I have an old beige G3 that i'm using as my home computer/webserver (albeit the cheap way, but whatever for now) and it has the standard 8GB drive in it, along with a 40GB that I added about a year or so ago. I've partitioned the 40GB into 2 20GB drives, so I can better manage files, but in order to host out to the web photos and stuff, they have to be copied to the 8GB drive, which is pretty full (the reason I added the 40GB in the first place).
Old Jul 28, 2003, 12:32 PM   #3
john7200
macrumors newbie

I belieive there's a more "official" way to move your home folder using NetInfo Manager (this information was taken from David Pogue's Mac OS X: The Missing Manual).
First boot into OS 9 and make a copy of your home folder on the other volume.
Next boot back into OS X and launch NetInfo Manager.
Use the top half of the window (it's in column view format) to navigate to the user whose home folder you wish to move. Highlight the user's name and a list of Properties and Values appears in the bottom half of the window. Select the "home" property and then double click the value list to the right to change the path to the new folder you wish to use (/Volumes/diskname/foldername - where diskname is the name of the other hard drive and foldername is the name of the folder).
Next go up to the top of the screen and choose Domain - Save (and click "Update this copy" in the confirmation box).
Log out and then log back in again and your system is now officially using the folder on the other drive as your home folder.
john7200 is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 05:45 AM   #4
ksneote
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to ksneote
What if I do not have OS 9 installed

I do not have OS 9 installed. Can you tell me an alternative way of moving the home user folder to the second drive. Thanks.

Kuldeep
ksneote is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 06:37 AM   #5
neilrobinson
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to neilrobinson
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksneote
I do not have OS 9 installed. Can you tell me an alternative way of moving the home user folder to the second drive. Thanks.

Kuldeep
carbon copy cloner should be able to do this for you?
Help MacRumors FOLD! - My Folding Stats
neilrobinson is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion