Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jul 28, 2007, 07:04 PM   #1
keith28
macrumors member

Unable to Connect to Free WiFI Hot Spots

I have had several problems connecting to free WiFi networks.
The iPhone recognizes the networks but unable to connect.
The networks are not locked.

Does anyone know what the problem is?
Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

I went to Panera Bread today and was unable to connect to their free wifi hotspot.

Please help
keith28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 05:46 PM   #2
wudude
macrumors newbie

I've had the same problem at a Panera. No idea what's the problem though.
wudude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 08:28 PM   #3
skubish
macrumors 68030

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith28
I have had several problems connecting to free WiFi networks.
The iPhone recognizes the networks but unable to connect.
The networks are not locked.

Does anyone know what the problem is?
Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

I went to Panera Bread today and was unable to connect to their free wifi hotspot.

Please help
go to safari and make sure there is no terms & conditions page to agree to
iPod Nano 8GB Blue
skubish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 08:31 PM   #4
keith28
macrumors member

That might be the case with some places. But that is not the case with my airportbase station at home.

the iphone will connect to my airport express but not my airport base.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 08:31 PM   #5
loudestnoise
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to loudestnoise Send a message via Skype™ to loudestnoise
I too have had problems at Panera specifically. I do remember though sometimes Panera had issues with different browsers. For instance, I remember at one point downloading an ancient copy of Internet Explorer for Mac because neither FireFox, Safari, Camino, or Shiira (all the browsers I had installed) would load up their authentication page. For some reason IE did. It hurt when I did it. Perhaps this is somehow related.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 08:34 PM   #6
keith28
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudestnoise View Post
I too have had problems at Panera specifically. I do remember though sometimes Panera had issues with different browsers. For instance, I remember at one point downloading an ancient copy of Internet Explorer for Mac because neither FireFox, Safari, Camino, or Shiira (all the browsers I had installed) would load up their authentication page. For some reason IE did. It hurt when I did it. Perhaps this is somehow related.
should have nothing to do with the browser.
a network connection is not being made
Old Jul 29, 2007, 08:39 PM   #7
loudestnoise
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to loudestnoise Send a message via Skype™ to loudestnoise
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith28 View Post
should have nothing to do with the browser.
a network connection is not being made
I know it shouldn't, but obviously there is something to do with a browser issue since all the notebooks around me are connecting just fine, and I'm on the network just fine, I just can't access their authentication page. IP address acquired and everything.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 08:44 PM   #8
keith28
macrumors member

Quote:
I know it shouldn't, but obviously there is something to do with a browser issue since all the notebooks around me are connecting just fine, and I'm on the network just fine, I just can't access their authentication page. IP address acquired and everything.
then your in the wrong THREAD POST!!!!!! BETTER OFF MAKING YOUR OWN THREAD POST.

This post is not connecting to the network.

Please read more carefully.

IS ANYONE EXPERIENCING THE SAME EXACT ISSUE AS ME??????
Old Jul 29, 2007, 08:50 PM   #9
loudestnoise
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith28 View Post
then your in the wrong THREAD POST!!!!!! BETTER OFF MAKING YOUR OWN THREAD POST.
Geez, no need to shout. I may have skimmed your thread, but no need to get angry about it. I saw Panera + WiFi and assumed it was the same issue as mine. Here are some suggestions though for your situation.

Have you tried doing a power down/power up on your iPhone. When I had THE SAME ISSUE as you, this solved my problem.

Also, it happens with many routers that sometimes they just need to be restarted. This has been my experience with iPhone and my Mac, that just pulling the plug will often correct connection issues. Obviously at Panera you don't have access to the router, but if it bothers you a great deal, you could ask an employee. I don't know, they may know how to restart it.

Again I apologize for my poor reading skills, but let me know if you do ever get on a Panera network whether or not you can get past the authentication page.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 08:54 PM   #10
keith28
macrumors member

Quote:
Geez, no need to shout. I may have skimmed your thread, but no need to get angry about it. I saw Panera + WiFi and assumed it was the same issue as mine. Here are some suggestions though for your situation.

Have you tried doing a power down/power up on your iPhone. When I had THE SAME ISSUE as you, this solved my problem.

Also, it happens with many routers that sometimes they just need to be restarted. This has been my experience with iPhone and my Mac, that just pulling the plug will often correct connection issues. Obviously at Panera you don't have access to the router, but if it bothers you a great deal, you could ask an employee. I don't know, they may know how to restart it.

Again I apologize for my poor reading skills, but let me know if you do ever get on a Panera network whether or not you can get past the authentication page.

Its OK. I'm sorry too.

This is very agrevating. My MacBook never has an issue connecting and now the iphone does. this pisses me off.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting